Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
newbert
0 Kudos

Question About SD Card and Photos

I like to view photos that I've shot on my NookColor, but find the transferring process from my PC to be a pain.  I have not used a micro-SD card on the NC for anything, and I'm wondering whether it's possible to simply write JPGs to the micro-SD card (from my PC), and then insert it into the NC. 

Would the photos be viewable doing this or is something more required?  If so, are the photos located in the Gallery along with the photos that reside directly on the NC?  Or are they accessed in some other way?

Thanks!

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

Re: Question About SD Card and Photos

Yes, it is possible to put photos and videos on a micro sd card and have the NC see them as long as they are in a format readable by the NC. The gallery will see all photos and videos located on the NC or the SD card which is good and bad. It's good because no matter you put the video or photo, the NC will see it. It's bad beacuse no matter where you put the video or photo, the NC will see it and there is no way to tell it that you want pictures A and C in the slideshow but not picture B. Hopefully a better gallery will be coming out when the B & N marketplace comes out.

Also, I think its easier to use the PC to transfer the data instead of the MicroSD simply because the slot is located in an area that makes getting the SD card in and out a little difficult.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I just post my photos to facebook, open it on my nook and save them to the gallery. I would assume you can do this from most any photo type website.
Frequent Contributor
newbert
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies.

Re: Facebook or an online site -- I have a Smugmug website, but I'm not always at a WiFi hotspot.  So keeping some images on the NC (or SD card) makes sense to me.

I also am hoping that the Gallery function gets a major upgrade soon.

Thanks.

hpg
Contributor
hpg
0 Kudos

i cannot connect wirelessly so I download everything and sideload onto sd card. Anything can be sideloaded-pictures in JPEG format, videos, etc.You DO NOT need to remove the card from the nook. Leave card in the nook and connect to usb port via charging cable. Your computer will show 2 drives, one is the built in memory and one the sd card. Open the appropriate drive, open the MY FILES folder and drag whatever into the appropriate sub folder---books into bokks, pictures into pictures and so on