Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

Question For Those of You Who Have Used the Nook2A Android Card

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the cross posting. I ordered my card and was excited to install it when I received it yesterday. I followed the directions and chose Android/normal mode but my screen went black.  Nothing happened. I got nervous  and stopped and decided to start over today. Is that normal for the installation?  If so, how long does it stay black before it starts up?  Once it is installed is there an easy way to switch back and forth between the regular NC and the Android one? I am not a techie, so I need help!

Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

Re: Question For Those of You Who Have Used the Nook2A Android Card

There is nothing to install so I have no idea what you are doing. You turn off the Nook, insert the card, turn on the Nook and you're done. You'll get a screen asking whether you want to boot into the Nook stock configuration or into Android 2.3. You probably should have done a lot more reading before you purchased. Read the FAQ section on Nook2Android.com. It's very helpful. The Instructions section is also very helpful and easy to understand.

Contributor
srpimper

It takes a few minutes for the android to boot up the first time around. If you read the directions that came with the card,you should be fine. Try it again.
Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It took awhile but it loaded. I am getting a mesage "unable to connect" so I can't folow the instructions that say to log in to Google to complete the process. I have tried several times. I can't figure out how to turn my Wifi on with this.

It looks like my Wifi is on but suddenly my battery is low so I am charging it. I don't have a smartphone so I'm not used to the Android thing. Don't know how I will finish the process if my Wifi is on but I keep getting the message "unable to connect."

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Are you able to connect to internet from your pc? If so, try to log on the n2a site from your pc.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

Thanks. I figured it out. It took me awhile but I found out how to turn on my wifi (after I charged my NC). I played with it a little this morning before I had to come to work. I am unfamiliar with Android devices since I don't have a smartphone. I am going to play with it some more this evening when I get home.  One question I still have is how do I switch between Android and regular NC?

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I got nervous when I first started to install it (something came up that wasn't on the instruction sheet) and was afraid that I was doing it wrong. I wasn't but I just needed some encouragement :smileyhappy:

Contributor
djhottma
0 Kudos

Re: Question For Those of You Who Have Used the Nook Android Card

Turn your NC off.  Turn it back on.  You'll see a countdown of 5 seconds on the screen.  It's very small way at the top of the screen.  During this time you should push any button to enter the boot menu.  It will give you a choice of emcee or SD.  Emcee = Nook Color and SD = Android.  Use the bottom "n" button to switch between the two.  Press the volume down button several times to confirm.  Only choose Normal, do not choose Alternative or Recovery.    Shortly you should see the familiar Nook screen.

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

Thank you djihottma,

I was wondering if I have to go into the opening screen to switch or if there is a button I can use to toggle between the two without having to turn it off. Thanks for clarifying it. I appreciate you help.

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I am having fun with my NC and the N2Android card but I am wondering why it takes so long for Apps to load. I have downloaded some that I purchased and some that are free. I keep getting the message "authorizing purchase" or "downloading" but it is taking forever. I am used to buying books that load in about 10 seconds. Some of them haven't finished loading after 1/2 hour.  Am I doing something wrong? Also, I downloaded the Kindle app but it seems to be frozen on my screen. Can't get to the Apps screen.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

You have to turn it all the way off in order to switch between Android & the standard BN interface.  It's a bit of a nuisance (and the first few times made me nervous it wouldn't work, but it only takes a minute or two.  I'm really enjoying the android tablet, but I prefer reading on the native NC interface rather than the Nook app. 

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

why use the nook app?  download your epubs from BN to your PC, sideload and add them to the native android ereader aldiko (can you say read in landscape mode?).  you just use your BN purchase credit card # as the password and the name on the card as the account (needed to "beat" the 'only the NC can read this' copyright) and viola, no need for nook app and that gotta have wifi to read crap.  that's what i did and rarely (if ever) boot back to the nook OS. 

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lulugirl28 wrote:

I am having fun with my NC and the N2Android card but I am wondering why it takes so long for Apps to load. I have downloaded some that I purchased and some that are free. I keep getting the message "authorizing purchase" or "downloading" but it is taking forever. I am used to buying books that load in about 10 seconds. Some of them haven't finished loading after 1/2 hour.  Am I doing something wrong? Also, I downloaded the Kindle app but it seems to be frozen on my screen. Can't get to the Apps screen.

Should have rooted internally!

I used to run CM7 from an SD card, and it was sooo slow compared to what I have now that I've rooted internally. You'll probably also notice a lot of force close errors. Running off an SD card is good to see what a rooted Nook COULD do... but to see it's full potential, you should really think about rooting internally.

It's not as hard as you'd think! https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=233714206644809 ... simple, step-by-step instructions can be found there, along with a great rooted-Nook community :smileyhappy:

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Ace7, you are correct about the force close messages. I may root mine after I buy a Thrive tablet. That way, if I wreck it, I won't miss being with a tablet. I do enjoy nookcolor with a n2a card, though.
Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

schatzieWI wrote:
Ace7, you are correct about the force close messages. I may root mine after I buy a Thrive tablet. That way, if I wreck it, I won't miss being with a tablet. I do enjoy nookcolor with a n2a card, though.

Don't worry - you can't wreck it! There's always a fix.

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Stripping the original OS is not a viable solution for everyone. Even if I wanted to it wouldn't work for me because the NOOK for Android app won't play my kids' books. I have no desire to root my NC, though I am perfectly capable of doing it myself--I'll reserve the rooting and flashing of ROMs to my Droid X--so I am quite happy to dual boot my NC from the SD card.
Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Lulugirl28 wrote:

It should not take this long to load app or books.  The Kindle app came preloaded on the n2a card.  No need to redownload it. One question, did you clear google services framework as suggested? If not you'll have problems downloading any apps.  Other than that your wifi connection may not be up to par if its taking this long.  Let us know.

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Mack_the_Knife wrote:

why use the nook app?  download your epubs from BN to your PC, sideload and add them to the native android ereader aldiko (can you say read in landscape mode?).  you just use your BN purchase credit card # as the password and the name on the card as the account (needed to "beat" the 'only the NC can read this' copyright) and viola, no need for nook app and that gotta have wifi to read crap.  that's what i did and rarely (if ever) boot back to the nook OS. 

Why sideload?  You can download your B&N books into Aldiko from Aldiko directly.

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
Stripping the original OS is not a viable solution for everyone. Even if I wanted to it wouldn't work for me because the NOOK for Android app won't play my kids' books. I have no desire to root my NC, though I am perfectly capable of doing it myself--I'll reserve the rooting and flashing of ROMs to my Droid X--so I am quite happy to dual boot my NC from the SD card.

That is the beauty of this card (dual boot).

I actually took the card out today as I was going to have swap out ereaders with my pop but didn't trust just booting over the nook side (who knows what he would touch). Put the card back in and everthing was just as I had left it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

My impression of Lulu's problems is that she may have gotten a card with problems.

If I were here, I would ask the n2a folks to replace it -- and next time, be patient during the first setup process, don't shut the device down while it's trying to run its setup scripts! :smileyhappy:

But seriously, the stuff she's reporting sounds a lot like what I've seen people report who ultimately needed to get rid of a bad memory card. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

interesting.... just happen to stumble across this thread and the N2A website... wonder what is different from those that roll their own with the various images and scripts. might save a very long download on a slow internet connection.