Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
JillMcD
0 Kudos

Question on Navigation on a Rooted NookColor

Hi all,

I rooted my NC last week and for the most part just LOVE it.  But I am somewhat confused on the navigation around in it now that it is rooted.

I have an Android phone - so I am somewhat familiar with the typical buttons you have which is Home, Back, and Options/Menu.  Though since I am a PC girl it's still uncomfortable to me to not "close" applications - and just hit back or HOme.

I used autonooter to root and I think the "SoftKeys" came with it - but I'm not sure..

So at some people's suggestion over on a App Discussion post I downloaded:

Button Savior - it never has worked - says "This app requires USB Debugging enabled to work proberly.  Please come back to this app after USB Debugging is enabled.  Enable now?  Yes  or No.  Pressing Yes does nothing....

Zeam - I think that's what I'm using.  I downloaded it and somehow I remember choosing the apps that would show up on the bottom of the screen.

Also in my App List I have

NookColor Tools

Superuser

Anyone have a link to any "after root advice and help"?  I've got myself so confused that I don't know what to do.  My main issue is a lot of time there is no Back button being displayed so I'm in an app - but I can't get out of it - the only option is to press the N button on the Nook.

Maybe I'm not smart enough to be a rooter?  To that end - I am smart enough to do a screen grab from my Nook - but not smart enough to get it from my NC to this message.  :smileysad:

So....suggestions?  on what app to use, which to uninstall?  Am I hopeless?

NookColor - CM7 Custom ROM

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Re: Question on Navigation on a Rooted NookColor

Do a search on the Mobile Reader forums and you will get a non-techie answer about lots of stuff after rooting.

Basically you have to give Button Savior Superuser permissions. Open NookColor Tools, Development, and check USB debugging.

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

Hi jill.i am using button savior on my nc that was rooted via the auto method. Go to thre book color tools under the extras setting and go to the devlopers section. Place a check mark on the usb debugging section. Now try activating button savior again. You may need to reboot the nc by turning it completly off and then back on again. If button savior is active, you will have a small arrow on the right hand screen near the middle. Press the arrow to open the buttons up. The long arrow is back, the square is the menu, home is home. Sorry if this looks bad. Posting from nc
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Inspired Contributor
JillMcD
0 Kudos

Thanks to Wordsmith & Dr Who - you have been very helpful!

NookColor - CM7 Custom ROM