Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Mike1995
0 Kudos

Re-formatting Micro SD from Bootable

Awhile back I make a bootable android version on my micro sd.  I decided to get rid of it, and I want to use it as a normal micro sd in my nook.  Yet, I can't seem to get the nook to recognize the card.  I see that there appears to be two partitions, one for about 7MB and the second for 7.4 or about, GB.  I've tried formatting the card but to no avail.  I even tried merging the two, using EASUS, but that doesnt give me the option to merge.  I think my issue is I need to merge, to get rid of this first partition, but can't seem to figure out how to do that.  Or there is something else I am not understanding.  Any suggestions?  Or give up and buy a new sd card?  .....  thanks for any assistance.

Inspired Contributor
Savoir_Faire

Re: Re-formatting Micro SD from Bootable

Download SD formatter from here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ and format card on your computer, then put back into NC.
"Savoir Faire is everywhere."
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Mike --

You're on the right track with EASUS.  What I found was that to get the full capacity back, I needed to delete all the partitions on the card and create a new partition, then commit the changes. 

This is enough of a PITA that unless I have a spare 8G card around, I'm not bothering with CM7 or 9 - I booted cm9 once, thought "it's an alpha;  it works, but either I don't have drivers yet and the OS is still using MTP, or the OS doesn't have the 'talking directly to the host computer' part baked in yet."  When I had a spare card, I tested cm7 and miui, then went back to rooted stock, but to recover the card, I always needed to blow out all the partitions and start fresh. 

EASUS was the only Windows utility I could use to delete the linux partitions on the Verygreen disk, and my memory is that my linux box couldn't take care of them, either. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Mike --

You're on the right track with EASUS.  What I found was that to get the full capacity back, I needed to delete all the partitions on the card and create a new partition, then commit the changes. 

This is enough of a PITA that unless I have a spare 8G card around, I'm not bothering with CM7 or 9 - I booted cm9 once, thought "it's an alpha;  it works, but either I don't have drivers yet and the OS is still using MTP, or the OS doesn't have the 'talking directly to the host computer' part baked in yet."  When I had a spare card, I tested cm7 and miui, then went back to rooted stock, but to recover the card, I always needed to blow out all the partitions and start fresh. 

EASUS was the only Windows utility I could use to delete the linux partitions on the Verygreen disk, and my memory is that my linux box couldn't take care of them, either. 

I imagine a bootable CD to GParted would work as reads ext linux partitions as well as windows partitions.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

Orb and roust are taking the long way around. Savoir_Faire's suggestion of SD Formatter is the simplest way to go.

You can delete all but the "sdcard" partition in your partition manager of choice (EASEUS, Gparted, etc), extend that one to take up the unallocated space, and then format by whatever method, but SD Formatter will do it in one step.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

sometimes, the easiest way is to put the card in a dumb device, like a camera, or camcorder that cant read the format, and will want to reformat the card, then let it.  The type format the card needs is "low level formatting", so trying to format from windows explorer wont do it.    One can always visit the web page of the card manufacturer for  a utility, or a recommendation of a tool to re-initialize the  card.  There is a tool in the windows system32 folder that can do this, but, you are better off not using anything directly from that folder unless you are a very experienced tech.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

I reformatted the card in my nook.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

SD Formatter is the industry standard for formatting SD media. It is the recommended tool in Windows or OSX, regardless of card manufacturer. If you use SD cards, you should probably keep it around.

Frequent Contributor
Mike1995
0 Kudos

I wound up using SD Formatter- it was quick and easy and now works in my nook.  Thanks everyone for your assistance!