Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
LeeJaye21

Read BEFORE You Buy

BUYERS BEWARE!! Read on before you buy...I recently ordered a Nook Color from the B & N website. I then decided against it and attempted to cancel my order, which the website showed was still an option. I then received a "sorry we can't cancel your order" email, and the nightmare had begun.
I received the Nook and promptly sought to return it. I visited the customer service website, which informed me that I could either ship the Nook back or take it to a B & N store to return for a refund. My husband then made a 45-minute trip to our nearest store to be told he would receive store credit only.
I then contacted B & N.com's customer service team (although how anyone could ever call what those people do SERVICE I will never know) and explained that my order should have been cancelled, and since I had been misinformed by the website as well, I felt I should not be responsible for return shipping. I requested a return label and an RMA number to resolve the situation. Thus, I embarked upon over 3 hours of telephone time with a total of 7 different people in different departments (8 if you count the email attempt at resolution I made, only to receive a form letter response that did not address any of my concerns). I was LIED to by 2 individuals, one in customer service and one in digital support, who both told me that I could expect the label in my email (in fact, the customer service rep told me "I guarantee it"). After receiving an email containing an RMA and mailing instructions only, I called back for another 30-minute hold and be transferred round to finally reach a supervisor who told me that a label COULD NOT BE GENERATED. She offered me (get this) A GIFT CARD...as if I EVER plan on doing business with this horrible company again!
People beware--don't order from this company unless you know you are keeping the merchandise. Don't rely on their website for information--it is NOT ACCURATE. I now have to spend even more time and money on this fiasco and trek to my local UPS store to boot. What a waste of time, money and energy.
I wanted to share this to maybe spare someone else the agony, since apparently B & N.com refuses to spare me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: Read BEFORE You Buy

I must say you have a low threshold for agony? It might be more helpful if you explained in what ways the web site information was not accurate? For example if merchandise is unpacked store credit is a fair response. Such returns can no longer be sold except labeled as returns or refurbished? The website clearly states nooks restrictions if opened. I know you are frustrated and certainly there are retailers with more generous policies, and some who are worse, such as those who charge restocking fees. Based on the drama quotient it appears that this post was a get even rant, not an attempt to help others. If so that says more about you than BN.
Inspired Contributor
nookloverjf

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. If what you say is true, I would call my credit card company and dispute the charge. Tell them not to pay BN. You have options. Try to focus and get the results that you want by asking for help. People in my experiences have been far more helpful when I ask for their help rather then complaining about it. Start with happy holidays, I am hoping you can help me with a problem I have....

Good luck 

Reader 4
jhuntin

:smileytongue:

Why? Why? I don't get why you would purchase a product and want to return it before you even received it. It defies all logic. Do you buy things and change your mind often? Did you research the product? Did you go to a B n N and try the product? Or was this just a stupid impulse purchase? I am going to say it was an impulse buy. You buy a nook and you don't want it. Now B n N loses money and can't sell this product as new. Then you tie up customer service all day and your mad at B n N.