Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

Re: Reading While on the John

"I know it's getting out of hand!"

I use TP!

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Wordsmith
mbratch

I'm sure we'll see this use case occur more frequently if B&N starts offering Reader's Digest.

Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

B&N does offer Reader's Digest in the Nook Magazines :smileytongue:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I carry my mobile phones in my back pocket.  Two phones have fallen in the toilet because of it.  LOL  Since my NOOKs don't fit in my pocket, I don't see how one would fall in the toilet.  It is always a concern for me, though.  I'm always afraid that I'll be clumsy and drop one or somehow knock it in there.  EWW!

Correspondent
g0tr00t

Works great!

Just sayin'...

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

Two come to mind, both centered on George.  One was in a bookstore and resulted in a book no one would touch after they found out where it had been.  The other was the Vandalay Industries segment.  George landing face down on the floor of Jerry's apt, pants around ankles, NY Times spread beneath him.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

I would never do this but I know there has to be some NOOKcolor readers who couldn't resist reading their NOOKcolor while sitting on the john.  Now, if the device were to fall into the water, would someone get some kind of a shock when pulling the NOOKcolor out of the water?  I know the NOOKcolor would be ruined but it would have to be removed.  Also, if someone has one of those Square Trade warranties, would sitting on the john and having the device fall into it be a case not warranted?

you can't be serious!     No, there is NO chance of getting shocked lifting a NC out of water, no matter where the water is.

And, if you have the accidental damage portion coverage wtih Square Trade, yes, they will "cover" it....HOWEVER, the Square Trade warranty will ONLY cover the original cost of your NC ($250) LESS any shipping charges for the TOTAL life of the warranty.

You drop it and break it...anywhere....you'll get a check for $250 less the shipping cost back to them and you will no longer have a Square Trade Warrant.

Read it.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

withfeeling, I was worried about the shock factor but since you explained it is only a 5 volt battery, there is no safety hazard involved.

It's actually only a 3.6v battery.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Come on people, reading in the John? How can you spend that much time on the John? Its just me, but l enjoy sitting on my couch! Oh, how could you drop your nookcolor in the john? If u did drop it in, I sure would'nt tell anyone LOL.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

deemure wrote:

Two come to mind, both centered on George.  One was in a bookstore and resulted in a book no one would touch after they found out where it had been.  The other was the Vandalay Industries segment.  George landing face down on the floor of Jerry's apt, pants around ankles, NY Times spread beneath him.

Yep.  I was thinking of the book one where they were disgusted since he'd been reading in the john, but the other works, too.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

cbtengr wrote:

deemure wrote:

I thought of the one when Jerry dropped his girlfriend's toothbrush in the toilet and wouldn't tell her but wouldn't kiss her anymore either.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
Come on people, reading in the John? How can you spend that much time on the John? Its just me, but l enjoy sitting on my couch! 

Hey, it's not like I enjoy it!  I just don't get enough fiber sometimes! :smileysurprised:

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Laurie_Gator wrote:

B&N does offer Reader's Digest in the Nook Magazines :smileytongue:

I didn't realize! Alright! I'm there!

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

To jeanniepep:Funny! I am being silly, I have at times not gotten enough fiber too, so I read the newspaper!
deemure
0 Kudos

War and Peace, anyone?

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

AJGuck wrote:

<snip>

This is also good incentive for me to leave the seat down for my wife.  Not only will she not fall in, there's less chance for my nook to fall in!

Why do women fall into toilets?  Why don't they put the seat down first?

If I live in a house with no women, should I make any woman that uses the toilet in my house put the seat back up?

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

dvt88 wrote:
Come on people, reading in the John? How can you spend that much time on the John? Its just me, but l enjoy sitting on my couch! 

Hey, it's not like I enjoy it!  I just don't get enough fiber sometimes! :smileysurprised:

*snort*@fiber

OK I admit to reading in the potty often, it's quiet and most usually the warmest place. I tend to read in there at work, it's kind of my hideout. I'm a weirdy, I admit it.

I cannot fathom how it would ever fall into the toilet though...you'd have to be *going* in some strange position.

deemure
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

jeanniepep wrote:

dvt88 wrote:

*snort*@fiber

OK I admit to reading in the potty often, it's quiet and most usually the warmest place. I tend to read in there at work, it's kind of my hideout. I'm a weirdy, I admit it.

I cannot fathom how it would ever fall into the toilet though...you'd have to be *going* in some strange position.

Reminds me of some of the yoga positions on the wii fit.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

mpebbs wrote:

Of all the random threads you have started I find this one to be slightly disturbing. Also in order for a nook to fall in the bowl I would think it would almost have to be deliberate.

I can see how it would happen. I had taken my daughter to the hospital to get some tests done before surgery (cancer) and excused myself to go to the bathroom. I'm a very tall woman and sometimes I feel like I need to be a gymnast to manuever myself in and out of those stalls. Sure enough, the door knocked my purse off my shoulder and it dropped into the commode while I was trying to get out of the stall. Dang thing was dripping wet when I went back to the waiting room.

The upside though as my daughter thought it was so funny that she sailed through her tests because she got to tell everyone we saw what I had done. She even made a few phone calls while we waited to spread the news. Yes, feel free to laugh, everyone else does. :smileyhappy: Yes, I bought a new purse.

I can Definitely see me dropping my Nook or NookColor in a commode by accident. Yes, I have purchased the Square Trade Warranty because I know me....it WILL happen.

deemure
0 Kudos

That is too funny-yes I laughed.  I hope your daughter is doing well!

I believe toilets are like magnets.  Things just seem to find their way into them.  Hairbrushes, perfume, wallets, cell phones, golden retriever mix dogs (don't ask), flashlights, drill bits, all kinds of things have ended up in mine.  It's a matter of time for me as well.