Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Reading While on the John

I would never do this but I know there has to be some NOOKcolor readers who couldn't resist reading their NOOKcolor while sitting on the john.  Now, if the device were to fall into the water, would someone get some kind of a shock when pulling the NOOKcolor out of the water?  I know the NOOKcolor would be ruined but it would have to be removed.  Also, if someone has one of those Square Trade warranties, would sitting on the john and having the device fall into it be a case not warranted?

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Frequent Contributor
KeWaDaHa
0 Kudos

Re: Reading While on the John

Are you my husband's twin that was separated at birth?????  This is something only a man would worry about.  I have the square trade warranty - it didn't say that you couldn't drop the device in the toilet.  I can't get my mind around how that could physically happen though. :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs

Of all the random threads you have started I find this one to be slightly disturbing. Also in order for a nook to fall in the bowl I would think it would almost have to be deliberate.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

mpebbs, how is this thread "slightly disturbing?"  People read newspapers and library books while sitting on the john.  Doctors will tell patients to take something to read while sitting on the john.

mpebbs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh no, not reading on the john my husband does that all the time. I was trying to figure out how the nook would get there, someone is doing something strange if dropping the nook from a sitting position lands it in the toilet!:smileyhappy:

Reader 2
AJGuck

I do about 70% of my reading "on the John".  I've been doing that since I was 8 years old.  Nothing wrong with it, nothing "weird", lol.  I find it usually has the best lighting, and it's very hard to get distracted while in there. 

I've actually worried about the NC getting dropped into the toilet, but I've only ever had that happen to one book, and I was 11, so I think I should be good (i'm 30 now).  This is also good incentive for me to leave the seat down for my wife.  Not only will she not fall in, there's less chance for my nook to fall in!

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

AJGuck, thank you for realizing that this Discussion Thread I started is a pragmatic one and there are NOOKcolor readers out there that do read while sitting on the john.  There is nothing wrong with reading while on the john because reading relaxes a person.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I know you folks are having a really, really good time playing around with this idea, but, just to answer the OP question.

a) No, no one would be shocked (at least electrically :smileysurprised:) pulling the Nook out of the water. 5V is not enough to shock anyone.

b) I imagine that if you bought the optional accident coverage from Squaretrade it would be covered.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

withfeeling, I was worried about the shock factor but since you explained it is only a 5 volt battery, there is no safety hazard involved.

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

My mother told me when I was in my early teens that if I didn't stop reading on the john that I'd get hemorrhoids.  I had to ask her what those were so she went on to describe them (in excruciating detail, I might add).   I decided then and there to stop reading on the john.   That was almost 50 years ago.  I still don't read on the john (and I don't have you-know-whats :smileysurprised:)  

To answer the original question, I doubt that you'd get a shock retrieving a Nook from the toilet but I suppose you could always flush the toilet, wait until the water drained, and then retrieve it.  (It's not like your poor Nook could actually go down the drain unless you have a really unusual toilet or a really tiny Nook.) 

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

mpebbs wrote:

Oh no, not reading on the john my husband does that all the time. I was trying to figure out how the nook would get there, ...

Maybe he's not sitting? :smileysurprised:

My signature line is better than your signature line.
mpebbs
0 Kudos

If reading while standing is an issue then there are people way more addicted to reading than I am...who would have thought it?

Allem-o

My question is...would all of your ebooks be 'marked' or just the one you were reading while in the john??  :smileyvery-happy: 

And does that affect it's lendablility if it is a lendable book?  Maybe a new cover tag would show up instead of "New" or "LendMe" it would say "Marked."

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

mpebbs wrote:

I was trying to figure out how the nook would get there, someone is doing something strange if dropping the nook from a sitting position lands it in the toilet!:smileyhappy:

My thoughts, too. That would really be some kinda acrobatics ... or something very weird ... I don't wanna think about it anymore. :womansurprised:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

The only reason why I will not read a NOOKcolor while on the john is because of the danger of the device falling into the water.  Sure, after you are finished, you can place the NOOKcolor on the top of the toilet, however, there is always the possibility that you can brush against it and the device could fall into the water.  I'm sure there are iPods and cell phones that have fallen into the toilet bowl.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I know many, many people who have dropped their cellphones into the toilet; apparently letting the phone sit in a jar of rice really dries it out.  My good friend dropped her Droid X and a day of rice therapy brought it back to life!  I wonder if this would work with a Nook that took a dip?

I read on the can all the time.  I'd never finish a book if I didn't!  But I have never dropped one, paper or electronic.  I've also never dropped my phone in the bowl (on the floor is another story).

dgiznya
0 Kudos

Appropriate material for reading on the john

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Everybody-Poops-410-Pounds-a-Year/Keith-Sebastian/e/9781569758274/?...

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

dgiznya wrote:

Appropriate material for reading on the john

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Everybody-Poops-410-Pounds-a-Year/Keith-Sebastian/e/9781569758274/?...

DG

I wonder if Apple has copyrighted "iPoop"?

My signature line is better than your signature line.
dgiznya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I wonder if Apple has copyrighted "iPoop"?

or Nintendo the "WiiPoop":smileysad:.

I know it's getting out of hand!

Back to my Nook?

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know of a lot of people as well whose cell phones took the plunge.  I do read on the pottie sometimes as well, but my main worry has always been water splashing from the sink when I wash my hands.  Now, I will be thinking about something else.

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

I think the reason the bathroom is so compelling for reading is because it is the one room where we are usually alone.  I said USUALLY.  Your minds are in the gutter.

Awhile back there was a guy on one of the morning shows that had invented this protection for electronics.  I think it was sprayed on but was invisible to touch or to the eye.  He used it on a cell phone and plopped it into an aquarium and it was still on-they even called the cell phone while it was submerged and it was ringing.  They took it out and it worked as usual.  I really wonder what is going on with that since it seemed like the perfect answer for tub readers, the beach, rainy days, and the many times we all eread while white water rafting.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.