Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

Reasons to get your first e-reader and why it should be a NookColor.

[ Edited ]

I was just talking to a friend of mine and she wasn't sure if she would like a NookColor or not, but she loves reading, so I gathered my thoughts and shared my feelings about my new favorite gadget.  I decided to post them here too in case someone else was considering getting an e-reader and more specifically a NookColor...

Portability -  I love being able to take dozens or hundreds of books with me wherever I go.

Increased function -  Having the internet, apps, Pandora, chess, etc. at my fingertips is awesome!  Sometimes I wake up and browse the internet before going out to the rest of the house to deal with my crazy dogs.  I can just pretend I'm still asleep! :smileyvery-happy: Oh and if you want to bother with converting files, you can convert movies to a format the NookColor can play.  A lot of people do that and save some favorite movies to micro-SD cards for trips.

Aesthetics -  The covers available are beautiful and I have a lovely wallpaper that matches the skin I bought too.  You can buy them online.  I really loved many of the choices from Decal Girl, but I went with one called 'Aqua Burn' and I think it's great!  With all the color possibilities on the NookColor screen it's almost like a work of art too.  I love arranging my TBR list by color, it's pretty to slide through and see greens fade to blues and such.  :smileysurprised:

The social aspects -  Being able to quote my favorite parts and post on Facebook right from my NookColor is pretty cool and the LendMe feature gets me talking and sharing current reads with my friends.  I just hope to get a few more friends on there and utilize the feature even more.

The capacitive touch screen -  I don't know if you've used one yet, but the capacitive touch screen is amazing.  I had never used a device with this technology before and I was so delighted with it.  Just brush your fingertip ever so lightly and you can change the page or zoom in.  I can barely get to my phone to work now, because I'm not used to pressing so hard anymore! :smileyvery-happy:

The illumination -   I love the back-lit display.  Many claim that it's stressful to your eyes, but I haven't found that to be true at all.  My eyes strain more trying to read the darker words near the center crack of the book or to read at all when my husband is trying to sleep.  The screen has a wide range of brightness options and at the darkest, it barely looks back-lit at all.   It also has 6 color setups for various reading options.   I personally like sepia on a dim background, but if I am outside in the sun I pick the night setting, which is black with white text, with a bright back-light.  

The size -  I love holding a slim, lightweight device to read now.  I just got a hardcover book (because it doesn't seem like it will be available on the NookColor anytime soon) and it's so hard to read.  It's heavy, clunky, clumsy and I really miss the illumination shining from behind my words, almost lifting them off the page to meet my eyes.  Paper words just sit there, almost hiding from me.

The wishlist and bookstore on the Nook -  One of my favorite things is that I can browse the virtual bookshelves for hours anytime, anywhere.  That used to be one of my favorite things, just looking for books and seeing the options.  Now, I can do that at home too!  I have over 100 books on my wishlist now and it's like my own personalized bookstore.   I spend hours sometimes just reading samples and deciding which ones I really want or not.  I have never been so exposed to so many books before.  It's really fun!

The prices -  While some books are more expensive than Amazon or a paperback, they're often cheaper than hardcover and they offer a lot of free or discounted books that you wouldn't have the chance to check for at a bookstore.  And, obviously, there are never free books at the bookstore, but NookColor has Free Fridays and dozens of others always offered for free.  You can also get HUGE anthologies for just a couple bucks.  They have several collections of 50 books for $2.99 and most classic books are only .99 if you can't find them in an anthology.  The really old books are almost always free, but expect a lot of errors, because they were converted by volunteers.

No lost or stolen books ever again -  How many great books have you lent out never to be seen again?  I know my list is huge.  I love sharing my favorite reads, just so others can experience what I did, but I certainly miss my books when they never come back too!  Thankfully LendMe gives me a chance to have a bit of both.  Sure, not every book is a LendMe, but I can still share quotes from any book online, so if I can't lend it, I can still share a laugh or a memorable part easily.  Then, the best part is my books will always be mine!  I am never buying multiple copies of a book ever again!  That will probably return the cost of the NookColor to me in a few years alone. :smileyvery-happy:  My online virtual library is always mine, so no matter what happens to my Nook, I still have all my books, ready to be connected to my new Nook or to be read on my computer in the meantime.

LendMe books -  Sure, it's only one lending ever and some books don't even have that, but with its limited use, it's still fun to share my current reads with my friends.  I can introduce new authors or series to my friends who might not have read them otherwise and vice versa. 

Organization -  Sometimes I get bored of a book, but I eventually want to finish it.  Sometimes they get lost in the shuffle if I stop reading them though, or I don't have enough bookmarks and I can't save my place.  Now that will never be a problem, because I remove any book from my home screen when I am done reading it and the NookColor saves your place on everything you start, so I can set something aside for weeks or months and return to the same spot I left off without needing a huge collection of bookmarks either.  The NookColor also has a great basic setup for organizing.  Your home page shows a main screen where you can organize books and then you can scroll over to an identical one on the right and another on the left.  Then, the bottom of the screen is where all the rest of the books live and they can be seen by sliding left and right. My NookColor is set up to have books I've started, but temporarily abandoned, on my left screen.  My main screen is the books I am actively reading.  Finally, the right screen is the books I'm really interested in starting soon. The bottom is filled with the rest of my TBR books and I store anything I've already read (but you can access those from your library which is another area on the NookColor, so those books are still with you).  So, now I can read as much as I like, hop around as much as I want and I never worry that the end of the book might not ever be read because I forget or something.  :smileytongue:

It's weird how quickly something can become an indispensable part of your life. I still love my old books and I don't think I'll want to get rid of them anytime soon, but I love them more like a relic now, instead of something I still want to use. Technology is always improving the way we do things and why should books be last to join the party? I love what MP3s did for music. I listen to a lot more and a much more diverse selection because of the added convenience and the same has happened to books now too. I've read 30 books or so since I got my NookColor for Christmas and that was less than two months ago!  The NookColor is one of those things you never knew you wanted, but once you have one, you can't live without it! 

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: Reasons to get your first e-reader and why it should be a NookColor.

Very nice review SandraPants, thank you for sharing it with us. :smileyhappy:

I love my nooks.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Thanks, I like your signature quote.  I hope my life is long enough to catch up on all my reading too!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

RE: the backlight.  I have a nookclassic and haven't touched it at all since getting the nookcolor.  I like the backlight.  Doesn't bother me at all (tho I usually have it on night display so the screen is black and the words are white).

No eyestrain at all.

I couldn't be happier.

But I do need to unload my classic.  Maybe I'll run a contest or some such when I launch my site.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Wordsmith
dparrothead1

I couldn't agree with you more, SandraPants.....the only problem I have with my NC is that I can't put the freakin' thing down!!!!

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Wordsmith
alliecatTX

Nice summary, Sandrapants!  Don't forget that when you're reading a heavily footnoted book, it's so convenient to click the hyperlink to read the footnote, then click it again to go right back to where you were reading!  This makes reading footnotes so easy, and you don't lose the flow as often happens while flipping back and forth in a DTB!

Correspondent
scjohanson5

Great post.  I also have my NC set for sepia and low brightness and never have eye strain.  It is hard to explain to other readers how wonderful an ereader is.  It's like you must be crazy to read on a cold metal slab rather than a "real" book.  Your summary will make it easier.  I love my NC.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Doggone it!  I thought once these boards were split into NOOK and NOOKcolor, I wouldn't be so tempted to read NOOKcolor threads.

But your subject line displayed on the list of NOOK Apps and NOOKbooks Boards as Reasons to get your first e-reader and why . . . .  So I ventured into the NOOKcolor board to read praises for NOOK and now you've just increased my NOOKcolor envy!

If my picture were on your NOOKcolor screen right now, I'd be positively GREEN! :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

SandraPants, your synopsis for the NOOKcolor is outstanding.  It's deserving of a TV commercial.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Nice review Sandra,

Your review points make me want to read "normally" again. I picked up the NOOK in order to help people with questions in regards of video playback, and keep trying to venture into reading, but I just can't seem to get into it anymore.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

You need to write B&N commericials.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You guys are so nice, thanks so much.  I decided to post this because I figured it would do a good job helping people who are on the fence decide and there have been so many surprising things about my NC that I've loved, I want everyone to know! 

It really is my new favorite gadget and I think even non-readers would love one as a mini-tablet, but I was writing this specifically to a friend of mine who might get one for her birthday and I really wanted to turn that into definitely getting one for her birthday.  :smileyvery-happy:  I really think she'll love it!

And that's funny WhiteGinger, I was annoyed my subject line was too long after I posted it, but now I see it must've been fate to draw more 1st Gen users here to see my points.  /grin  I hope you get one too!  I hope everyone gets one and we can all be LendMe friends!  Haha. 

Distinguished Correspondent
likemynook
0 Kudos

I agree with everything, but you left out the MP3 player.  I like to be able to have my music on the same devide and to listen while reading.

Also, i love the way I can access my Bible and find a passage in seconds.

Did you mention jumping over to check your email without moving from your chair?

Love it!

Contributor
ihcuids

And one more aspect that occurs to me as I read book after book on my NC:  It's good for the planet!  How many trees are we saving by reading digital copies of books instead of ones made from page after page of paper.  And It's a rechargeable device as well, so no batteries to throw and replace.  Want to reduce your carbon footprint even more, buy a Nook!  But, honestly, the only, only, only complaint I have with mine is that you can't recharge it by plugging it into your computer.  Seems like a silly oversight, really.  But also honestly, my NC is the best present I have gotten in a long time.  I thank my parents all the time for getting it for me for Christmas and it's bloody February!   

Wordsmith
DrWho453

But, honestly, the only, only, only complaint I have with mine is that you can't recharge it by plugging it into your computer.  Seems like a silly oversight, really.
You can recharge the nook color using the computer's usb port, it just the nooks power adapter has an extra port to enable the nook to charge faster. I have had the nook pluged into my computer to move files and the battery will charge while it is still connected. Once I tell the computer to safely remove the device, then it stops charging the nc. It just you can't use the nc while it is being charged by the computer.
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

You need to write B&N commericials.

Thanks, I would really like B&N to pay me for my thoughts.  /grin

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

The only real shortcoming I've found with either of my Nooks is battery life. Kindle is a lot better in that regard, weeks instead of hours.

But I wouldn't give up the backlit screen for anything.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

MattFL wrote:

The only real shortcoming I've found with either of my Nooks is battery life. Kindle is a lot better in that regard, weeks instead of hours.

But I wouldn't give up the backlit screen for anything.

I agree, more battery life would be nice, but mine has never died on me.  I charge it about as often as I charge my phone and I don't think about it too much.  I think it uses the battery a lot slower if you're reading plain text with a dim backlight and not using the more intensive features as much.  Definitely not weeks like a Kindle, but days.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

I think Sandrapants summed it up perfectly. I totally agree!

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Grinchy1 wrote:

I think Sandrapants summed it up perfectly. I totally agree!

Thanks Grinchy!  :smileyhappy: