Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

RepliGo Reader for NC - New in App Store ** GREAT!

[ Edited ]

Just checked out RepliGo Reader, a new android release by cerience.com, especially for Nook Color.  I haven't yet tried ezPDF, but based on its strengths - and especially weaknesses -  posted here by others, I'd have to say RepliGo Reader is much, much better!

Haven't tried all the advertised features of RepliGo Reader for NC, but the ones that stood out immediately are:

• Installs directly on the NC - no SD card required.  (I don't have an SD card)
  • Worked immediately (except for obligatory PITA "agree to terms" stuff)
  • Brings up file navigator that includes your entire NC as well as SD card if you have one so you can find and open PDFs whereever they are stored.
  • Touch zoom
  • Autorotate from Portrait to Landscape
  • Tap or swipe (left or right) to turn page (same as for books)
  • Nightmode
  • Quicksearch for comments within PDF file.
  • VERY QUICK!  I don't have any very large PDFs on my NC yet (been waiting for a decent reader) but those I hope to copy to NC are in the range of 400-600 page technical networking/computer reference and manuals.  Will see how RepliGo handles those later, but at the speed it handles the PDFs I do have on NC, I don't expect any problems.

Try it out!

BFH

Frequent Contributor
Origamist
0 Kudos

Re: RepliGo Reader for NC - New in App Store ** GREAT!

I've been using Repligo for quite some time now on my rooted Nook and my android phone and it is by far the best PDF reader I have found.  It is extremely powerful when used with DropBox as well since the highlights and edits I make in Repligo show up perfectly when I open them up with Adobe Acrobat when I get home. My files sync wonderfully and sometimes I even find marking up my PDFs on my Nook even easier than using my PC.  When I highlight it automatically comments the highlight with the text making archive and searching notes easier as well.  

Also changing the reading flow is very helpful with academic PDFs since they are typically using uber tiny fonts...

I read entire PDF books using it and it is wonderful, so just another shout out :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

I have grown to like ezPDF Reader, and for 99 cents, it's actually underpriced. Other than the SD card issue, which I think is being addressed, ez can do most, if not all, the things on your list.

It's good to have options, though, so enjoy RepliGo Reader.

Does RepliGo Reader remember your place in a .pdf?

Frequent Contributor
Origamist
0 Kudos

Hi MaluhiaKana -- I think everyone needs to find what suits their needs best so I agree with you -- the more options, the better!  Yes, RepliGo does remember my place in PDFs as well as provide me with a list of my recently opened PDFs -- I just tried opening some I was working on months ago and it still is on the last page I was reading.  

I am using a rooted version since I do not want to pay for the app twice, but I would assume that it works the same way for the nook app.

Contributor
MikeFS
0 Kudos

I don't see this app in the B & N app store.  Am I missing something?

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

I asked this in another thread but this one might be a better place.

Does Repligo read both PDFs and ePubs?

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

MikeFS wrote:

I don't see this app in the B & N app store.  Am I missing something?

I just double-checked and can see it via both the NC SHOP link and "see more" link in APPS.  In SHOP it's under the Tools and Utilities section.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

DRV wrote:

I asked this in another thread but this one might be a better place.

Does Repligo read both PDFs and ePubs?

Sorry DRV.  I had no ePubs to try - only PDFs, so do not know if it works with ePubs.  You might check out their website and see what it says for the Reader for Android  version.  www.cerience.com

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,336
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Before I spend the "giant" sum of $5 (twice, for normal Android as well), I'm curious as to the ease of zooming in, scrolling about, and viewing the following PDF (FAA instrument chart -- about 6MB):

http://www.airmen.aero/terps/.raw/2011-05-05/enroute/ENR_L34.pdf

I'd also be curious as to the same for ezPDF.

The standard PDF reader on the NC runs out of RAM during loading.

The Adobe Reader for Android (free on the Android Market) handles it OK, but loading (after download) takes about 35 seconds.  Zooming and panning is reasonably quick after that.

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

I'm curious as to the ease of zooming in, scrolling about, and viewing the following PDF

That looks like a Benchmark with a capital B!  Even viewing it on my main computer with Foxit I ran into some delays, and that was with a dual-core AMD64 and a decent graphics card.

Any PDF viewer that can handle that on an NC gets a hat tip from me - not to mention any person who can make sense of the diagram itself :smileysurprised: :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
melpich

Dean, I downloaded your pdf file and then tried opening them on Repligo and EZpdf.  It took 56 seconds to open on Repligo, and was slow to zoom in on afterthat.  It took 35 seconds to open on EZpdf, but was immediately clear, and zoomed and panned straight away.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,336
0 Kudos

Just curious, what OS?  B&N 1.1/rooted, B&N 1.2, or other?

I ask because Mark reported different results.

Yours are more (at the moment) useful, since they presumably are on the same device with the same OS/etc.

Thanks much!!!

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader 4
melpich
0 Kudos

Dean, I am running on a rooted BN with CyanogenMod 7.04092011-encore;  with CPU clock at 800 MHz

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

melpich wrote:

Dean, I downloaded your pdf file and then tried opening them on Repligo and EZpdf.  It took 56 seconds to open on Repligo, and was slow to zoom in on afterthat.  It took 35 seconds to open on EZpdf, but was immediately clear, and zoomed and panned straight away.

Really?  I'm surprised that CM7 would make that much difference.

I decided to try it again, but this time I downloaded the file to the NC first, then opened it with ezPDF.  Same kind of timeframes, but this time when I zoomed (just a bit less than the first time... about 3.5x instead of 4x), I could immediately pan the entire image (and not get any white space). 

However, it was just a crude, pixellated zoom, and still took a long time to "fill in the details", in one segment at a time.  I'm guessing I would have to let it sit for 10min+ to get the whole thing re-rendered.

So zooming and panning were both immediate and smooth, but with a blocky image that was taking a long time to fill in details.

- Mark

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

very interesting pdf.  It took Quick office pro about 3 minutes to completely open it.  Before it was completely finished opening, the PDF was zoomable and pannable, but additional layers were still painting in.  (First zoomable image by about 12 seconds, but that'd be worthless for the intended use since that was the blue polygons, no other detail. )

This is rooted 1.2 with the 1.1 ghz OC kernel currently set in "performance" mode.  I'm not seeing a big difference between load time on the SD card (class 4) and the internal memory.  that and other folks' benches make me thing that's because this doc is compex enough that it really is rendering limited, not reading limited, which is a great file to have. 

Aldiko has it open in around 20-25 seconds.  But the zoom makes you wait every time you touch it and often offers to close aldiko. 

EZ PDF opens it in around 55 seconds, but very jaggedly. Flipping to landscape in ezpdf puts up the hourglass as does zooming.  I'm calling it a win for QOP because on my device, pinch zoom in EZPDF is followed by a really long wait for re-rending and a complete loss of visibility if you zoom out then zoom a ittle bit back in.  The rerender time is over a minute in the zoom in, then backpedal a bit scenario. 

Once QOP was done, pinch zoom in and out and pan both work pretty well, though at low res. If you needed to read the labels, you'd need to wait for the rerender, though. 

Acrobat reader 10.0.1 does very nicely with this, in my hands.  About a minute to load to a decent, zoomable image.  About 10 seconds to zoom hard - with a "wait" popping up in there, granted, which could accidentally let you force close. 

Panning is nicely done.  At very high zoom, lots of stuff around the edges is cached and clear as you slide, with about a 10 second wait once you reach the edge of the cached area. 

What Acrobat does badly with for me are the gymongous manuals I read, which have simple illustrations but hundreds of pages of text. 

I have not tried Repligo yet, as QOP and Acrobat are and EZPDF left me satisfied with QOP as being excellent for my purposes. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

However, it was just a crude, pixellated zoom, and still took a long time to "fill in the details", in one segment at a time.  I'm guessing I would have to let it sit for 10min+ to get the whole thing re-rendered.

I let it sit for an hour.  It never did update the detailed image space, since I never did any panning around.  To get that, I would have had to pan to a new section, wait, then pan again.  About 8 times.

- Mark

Contributor
greenside1
0 Kudos

I am a new guy on the block. I am trying ti find a pdf reader that will page-turn faster thsn the NC reader. call BN. They suggested to move multi-page pdf to the N, off the SD cd to save the "transfer rate" time w/ the card, and to do restart to clear the NC memory. Tried this and still have same slow page turn problem. Any suggestions from this HUGE bunch of NC owners? 

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

Am I the only one who reads very few PDFs or are there more?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

I had hoped to be able to read PDFs on the NC. 

Unfortunately, most of the PDFs I'd want to read are work related, and the PDF viewers for tablets generally seem very weak for being able to zip back and forth in a complex document. 

Then again, most of the PDFs I read are actually best read in the vicinity of a machine where I can easily  compare what I'm running against an example in the document.  I had thought before I got the NC that I might be able to actually learn from them before moving over to a computer but that has not been the case. 

I tried downloading the study on using video games to solve protein structure today, and tried reading it in Adobe Reader.  Eccccch.  And because file management on the NC is so elegant, I haven't chased the file down with another reader to see if it does better.  I'm actually curious as to whether the structure the gamers converged on is a better mathematical structure, or if the scientists have done additional work to confirm that it's a better structure in biological experiments. 

This is a big part of why I've ordered in a new laptop - I'd been hoping to gimp along without needing one following the demise of my older one, but I'm realizing I actually did need to replace it. There are plenty of times when I do want to be able to read and take notes or respond.  Tablets just don't work for that sort of thing for me.  (including ipads and other ten inchers as well - this is about the lack of typing and decent multiwindow support in tablets generally.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mark_OB1

greenside1 wrote:

I am a new guy on the block.

Welcome.

I am trying ti find a pdf reader that will page-turn faster thsn the NC reader. call BN. They suggested to move multi-page pdf to the N, off the SD cd to save the "transfer rate" time w/ the card,

A lame suggestion.  Unless you had a really slow card.

and to do restart to clear the NC memory.

And a waste of time.

Tried this and still have same slow page turn problem.

No surprise there.

Any suggestions from this HUGE bunch of NC owners? 

ezPDF pages faster, especially if you have it in "thumbnail mode" with neighboring pages shown at the bottom.  Flipping to a new page is very fast that way.  I haven't tried Repligo, but that may be faster as well (it wouldn't be surprising).

- Mark