Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

Requirements For Video Streaming

Using archive.org I was impressed by how well the 512kb streams.  I pulled down the video and put it on my home webserver and it worked perfectly.  I was wondering what the requirements are for a video to stream.  For example, will a movie converted by Catalyst stream?  My experiments with other video converting tools the video plays perfectly when I put it on the NC but it will not stream.  It gives an error message. I looked at the parameters of an archive.org 512Mb and nothing stands out as to why it works.

Info for File [C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Consider2001_512kb.mp4]

General
Complete name                    : C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Consider2001_512kb.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media
Codec ID                         : isom
File size                        : 2.85 MiB
Duration                         : 40s 540ms
Overall bit rate                 : 589 Kbps
Movie name                       : Considering an Exotic Pet\? - http://www.archive.org/details/Consider2001
Performer                        : Skye Carlson
Screenplay by                    : Skye Carlson
Encoded date                     : 2001
Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-11-23 21:47:31
Writing application              : Lavf51.10.0

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Baseline@L1.3
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        : 1 frame
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                         : 40s 540ms
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 520 Kbps
Width                            : 320 pixels
Height                           : 240 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.226
Stream size                      : 2.51 MiB (88%)

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Duration                         : 40s 448ms
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 63.8 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Stream size                      : 315 KiB (11%)

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Re: Requirements For Video Streaming

For the files to be able to stream, there are 3 requirements.

* The files you want to stream need to be playable on the Nook. Quality, screensize, bitrate doesn't make a difference, however, depending on what kind of connection you use for streaming, playback will be affected. (If you use a 3G phone with hotspot to connect your Nook in the car, the bandwidth is quite limited, but if you stream over your home network, you don't have to worry about that). Files need to be MP4 files.

*Quicktime FastStart Atom enabled in the video file. This is a setting in the header (portion that contains file information) that needs to be enabled.

*Webserver with execute-permissions.

On my website, I have a (free) MP4 Streaming Server app, which can help you with the streaming, and has an option to enable the streaming flag for your existing MP4 files. and in DVD Catalyst 4 is a setting that will enable the streaming flag after the conversion is complete.

I also have a collection of sample MP4 files in various posts (just use the Droid ones, which work great on the Nook) that you can use to test your setup.

Send me an email if you would like more information.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info dvdcatalyst.  I googled faststart and there is a simple app called mp4FastStart.  I used that to convert a directory of mp4 files.  I tried the new mp4 files and they worked perfectly.  I'll write something up and post it.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

You are very welcome,

I'm glad it helped.

Streaming is always a bit tricky to start with.

During some video playback testing I did over the weekend, I noticed that the battery does drain a lot faster because the wifi is running at full blast when you stream your videos. The actual format (H264/AVC or MPEG4SP) or quality (800Kbps/1500Kbps) did not appear to make a difference with files stores on the NC itself,