Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: Review of NC Covers

[ Edited ]

I have the Industriell Cover in Storm. It is pretty no-nonsense and has a nice feel to it. I looked at those Oberon covers. I didn't even know they existed. They are beautiful, but if I paid that much for a cover I might have to get marriage counseling.:smileysurprised:

The Industriell cover is a very nice cover as well.  I almost bought one.  :smileyhappy:

I only bought the Oberon because I got the NC for my birthday.  It was theo nly way I was able to get away with the cost!  :smileywink:

Yep same here last year for my Nook Classic and again for Nook Color! Love my Idustriel storm cover as it's slim and compact fits in cargo jacket pocket or slips in my camera bag. Love the Oberon concept but just adds to much weight and bulk for my personal tastes.

Even gave the industriel storm a review on the product page of B&N. Only gave it 4-star as trying to get them to add a inside flap pocket,stylus holder and come in more Colors (Blood Red,Midnight Blue,Black,etc...) and Textures (Aligator, Elephant, Wood's, Leather's,etc..) and would then probablly out sell the others 5 to 1. :smileytongue:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

I also have an Oberon cover and LOVE it! I have the Avenue of Trees. Once you convince yourself to spend the money, it's definitely worth every penny.
Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I too have an Oberon cover and love it...it was a very worthwhile investment.  It is beautiful, very sturdy and functional.  I have the Red Hummingbird cover.  It was definitely worth every penny.  I take my NookColor everywhere with me, and feel that it is very well protected.  These covers also hold up very well overtime.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Desert_Brat wrote:

Those Oberon covers are beautiful. I just can't make up my mind on which one to get.

I like the Tree of Life in saddle ... and the peacock in blue ... and the dragon in red ... and the forest in green ... and the wolf in brown ... and the ....

Here's mine if you want to see what the Red Sky Dragon looks like in real use, including charm that Oberon sends with it, and a skin I got to match:  These covers are beautiful, VERY well made, VERY secure, VERY protective of my NC, and they will last FOREVER.  Well worth the price IMO.  They have handy pockets so I can store my extra SD cards, microfiber cloth and warranty info, and they feel like a quality leather-bound book in my hands.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
The road goes ever on.....
Inspired Contributor
Azilla
0 Kudos

pastorjeffcma wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Viktornka wrote:

I just took a look at the Oberon site, Nallia.  Their covers are exquisite, but I can't bring myself to pay that much!

It's true, they are pricey.  I can understand not spending the money.  I was never able to talk myself into it when I got my NOOK last February.  I bought an M-Edge Executive cover for that one instead and have been very happy with it.  :smileyhappy:

I have the Industriell Cover in Storm. It is pretty no-nonsense and has a nice feel to it. I looked at those Oberon covers. I didn't even know they existed. They are beautiful, but if I paid that much for a cover I might have to get marriage counseling.:smileysurprised:

Same one I got, simple and does the job, and I really like the look and feel of it..

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

@leday

Oh that dragon cover is gorg-e-ous! Thank you!

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Correspondent
TaterFink
0 Kudos

melouria ,

could you give the cover a couple of light sprays with scotch guard to protect the fabric?  (remove the NC first of course):smileyvery-happy:

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
Inspired Contributor
David_Dearman
0 Kudos

Scotchguard is a great idea. My field cover in storm grey has grease spots picked up from lunch counters. Wish I had thought of the Scotchguard when the cover was New!
Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

Taterfink, Scotchguard....a great idea!  Don't have any in the house but next shopping trip I will get some.   That should keep it clean for a while.....well, at least until I get bored and buy one of those beautiful leather covers from Oberon!  I'm thinking one of those will make a great Mother's Day gift!  I'm already dropping hints...LOL  :smileywink:

TaterFink
0 Kudos

Just curious about the Oberon covers.  Do they advise you to hit them with saddle soap or anything to keep the leather from getting spotted or stained??  I hadn't thought of that until we discussed scotch guard for the fabric covers (glad y'all liked the suggestion, by the way).  Does Oberon give you ANY kind of care instructions for the covers?  They are quite a dear expense and would need to be cared for I would think.

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
0 Kudos

I know it's hard to beat the appeal of the Oberon covers, but there will be a slew of new NookColor covers coming out in the next month or so, including some Jack Spade/Kate Spade ones as well as some other new lines.

Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

TaterFink wrote:

Just curious about the Oberon covers.  Do they advise you to hit them with saddle soap or anything to keep the leather from getting spotted or stained??  I hadn't thought of that until we discussed scotch guard for the fabric covers (glad y'all liked the suggestion, by the way).  Does Oberon give you ANY kind of care instructions for the covers?  They are quite a dear expense and would need to be cared for I would think.

They do give care instructions, FAQs and other information on their website. Go to oberoncovers.com for more info.
The road goes ever on.....
TaterFink
0 Kudos

leday, thanks.  I'll check out the website.  Just let me go get a drool rag before I get started. . .

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

I have an Oberon cover, not long enough to consider saddle soap or other leather preparation, no dirt yet.   The leather is top qualify, not prone to damage or vulnerable to scratches, at the same time very warm to the touch and eye.

I also have had an Oberon Journal for years and years, just replace the innards when needed, it has weathered gracefully, has a lovely patina and never has scarred or gotten terribly dirty.  I have used and abused it.  I have used Lexol and Neatsfoot  Oil on it.  Used those products on saddles, works for Oberon too, just depended on what was handy in the tack room when I reached for it.

The Oberon products from my experience with the Journal will last 20 years plus, with a little Lexol or Neatsfoot Oil, no worries.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
TaterFink
0 Kudos

Tweedledee,

Thank you for the rundown!  It's really good to know if a product is as good as advertised and Oberon seems to be right on the money!

After your comments, I may now need to start saving for one of these wonderful covers for my NC because it deserves only the best!

Frequent Contributor
whimspun
0 Kudos

I found this on amazon; about to order, but wondering if anyone has experience with it.  Price seems too good to be true.  Yet specs seem nice and Case crown seems legit brand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049CG3II/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A174CY8CR6S3G5

BTW I am new to community, and 6 days in I love my nook color; love it as it came, and I have been known to be lost in tinkering for hours at a time.  One person's waste of time is another's learning.   

"Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present." Albert Camus
Frequent Contributor
Snooki
0 Kudos

I have the Brunel Cover in Iron and I love it. It has a magnetic tab closure which also secures on the back, so it's out of the while reading. It also has the 3-point holder to keep it securely in place.

I was in B&N over the weekend and I bought a second cover. It was so gorgeous I couldn't resist!  I certainly can't throw it around in my purse like I do the Brunel.  It's white and it is exactly like the Leather Writer's Cover except it's canvas and "browning" is spelled correctly!  It's called Canvas Writer's Cover.

Correspondent
spymom6
0 Kudos

I have ordered the Oberon cover in the Peacock pattern and purple color. Cannot wait to get it!!

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

I just purchased the easil and like it.

The BN where I was vacationing was out of it so they sent me over to Best Buy.

Best Buy was selling them for $49.99 rather that the BN price of $39.99.

Went to customer service and the price was adjusted to $39.99.

Why BestBuy is selling a BN branded product $10 higher is beyond me.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
Godiva77
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

My NC cover is phenomenal.  It holds my NC in extremely securely and gives great protection from bumps, scratches, and most drops.  And it is gorgeous!

I have an Oberon cover.

Wow!  I've been looking at NC covers for the past few days, and this looks fantastic.  I'm ordering the Wild Rose cover in red.  Thanks for the recommendation!