Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
EmmysDaddy

Rooting Experience, ManualNooter, Netflix

Finally got around to rooting my NC with manualnooter for 1.2.  Overall I'd say the experience was enjoyable.  I love the fact that my stock Nook Color is intact in the fact that it looks/behaves the same as before rooting.  I installed Netflix and set it up to run.  Again, well worth the little bit of time invested to be able to watch my Netflix movies wherever I want.  I had previously tried Cyanogen Mod7, but wasnt pleased in the end primarily because my NC now looked like a cell phone.  Echk.  Long story short, if you're considering rooting but aren't sure, I highly suggest doing it and unlocking the extra capabilities of your NC.

Matt -Nook Color Enthusiast
Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Re: Rooting Experience, ManualNooter, Netflix

Could you give me some details on what you had to do to get to 1.2 after rooting 1.1?  I'm currently rooted on 1.1 and have tried CM7 on SD.  I ran with that for a while but like you prefer the original Nook Color interface.  Now I need to upgrade to 1.2.  Do I have to do the whole wipe sequence or can I just apply the update and then do the manual nooter?

Contributor
Mac79pr
0 Kudos

The only things i've done to my NC is install that Honeycomb demo version and the latest CM7 nightly via sd-card. Could never get the android market to work right in either version. CM7 is tarting to look good with some UI changes they've made so it doesn't so much like a spartphone's OS. Like they put the notifications bar on the bottoms with softkeys for menu, back & search.

Inspired Contributor
EmmysDaddy
0 Kudos

For me, I originally rooted to CM7, then reset back to stock 1.0 and updated to 1.2.  I've been using 1.2 since its release until yesterday when I installed manualnooter via SD card.  The whole operation was simple, but in short, if I personally had to do it again I'd start from scratch by resetting.  I'm not 100 percent sure that updating 1.1 to 1.2 will unroot your NC or not.  I think it will, but I cant say for sure.

Here are the instructions I followed for the 1.2 manualnooter root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054027

Matt -Nook Color Enthusiast
Contributor
Three-Redheads
0 Kudos

By using manualrooter, is the NC booting from the SD card?

I'm really new to this and have read a lot of threads, watched videos on youtube etc.

Even more confused.  All I know is I want the method that allows me to pull out the card and restore the NC to factory settings.

Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055
0 Kudos

Chubby8055

Three-Redheads wrote:

I'm really new to this and have read a lot of threads, watched videos on youtube etc.

Even more confused.  All I know is I want the method that allows me to pull out the card and restore the NC to factory settings.

Thanks!

Still new to me as well, but getting better.

Here is what I think I know, people feel free to correct me

Key

EMMC = NC Hard Drive
SD (sometimes seen uSD) - Micro SD Card

Android Operating Systems

3.1 - Honeycomb less most bugs fixed :smileyhappy:

3.0 -Honeycomb beta release, buggy

2.3 - Gingerbread

2.2 - Froyo

2.1 Eclair

CM7 -Cymonogenmod 7

Few ways to root your NC.

1.Manualnooter - Is where you root your Hard Drive to allow access to the Google Market, Netflix etc... but mantain your B&N layout operating system etc....

2.Auto Root - Same as above but said to be easier since it contains less steps in the rooting process to acheive the function. The new Autorooter is not out yet. ManualNooter is what is working and pretty stable. Havent done it yet but I heard it just 2 additional steps in the implementation process more then the autorooter.

3. Root an Android Operating System onto your EMMC (hard drive)

4. Root an Android Operating system onto an SD Card

5. Dual Boot root an Android Operating system onto an SD Card or Hard Drive.

Dual boot is where you have the option to select where to boot from (SD Card or EMMC)

Chubbs

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Rooting changes the installed software on internal memory, so it is not what you are looking for.

You are looking to boot from an alternative operating system.  What you need to know about that is that the library and shop won't be available in that setup, nor will any paid BN apps.  You can use the Nook app for Android, though, to get access to books and I think to magazines.  You also won't be able to share programs easily between the two operating systems.  You can share some files, those in the /media directory rather than the ones in the /sdcard folder. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

Three-Redheads wrote:

Thanks!

No, this is, in my opinion, the very nice thing in that you now have all the storage available both internally and on the sdcard.  Here is a thread, http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/How-to-create-a-Dual-Booted-Noo... on the steps I took to have not only the rooted NC 1.2 but also Android 3.0 both on the eMMC, internal, with the ability to boot to one or the other as needed.  NC 1.2 is the default.

Contributor
Three-Redheads

Wow, thanks so much to all of you!

I have so many pages bookmarked, some taking me to other pages etc.  Going to check out the dual boot page.

I will be back if I get even more confused.  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
mariel9898

A few points:

1) The NC does not have a hard drive!

2) If you do not want to touch the stock interface/OS then you need to run another OS from a micro SD card. This is NOT technically "rooting" your device. It is running another OS.

3) CM7 is a custom ROM based on Gingerbread (Android 2.3).

4) The reason Honeycomb is buggy is because Google has not released the source code and probably won't any time soon. Without the source code the devs can only do so much.

5) The new autonooter for firmware 1.2 is not out and it does not look like it will be any time soon.

6) You can use the manual nooter but it has issues (see other threads). It's supposed to be almost as easy as autonooter. This is not something that is run off an SD card - it is truly rooting your NC (technically, it's the only "rooting").

7) Rooting will not void your hardware warranty. It will void your software warranty.

Chubby8055
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mariel9898 wrote:

A few points:

1) The NC does not have a hard drive!

2.It's has an Internal Memory! Satisifed?!!!LOL

Reader
Flashfox
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmm... to clear things up, installing CM7 is NOT rooting although you do need to root in order to install CM7 ;-)

My NOOK Color 1.1 was rooted and I did NOT instal an alternate OS as I want the best of both worlds: B&N magazines, books and newspapers and the ability to run Market apps. I used AutoNooter to root this 1.1 Nook (never updated to 1.2)

Over the weekend, I rooted two NOOK Color readers for friends which had 1.2. For those, I used the ManualNooter where you prepare a SD card and complete the process from there (my card is ready to root others... already have two other friends who are interested (what pandora's box did I open? lol)).

Again, for those two, I did not instal alternate operating systems as they also wanted to have the best of both worlds.

By the way, I know that many want to root and load an alternate OS in order to have a cheap tablet. However, there are also many who want to benefit from B&N while being able to load Market apps. For me, it permitted me to load the Kindle reader so I can finally read Kindle and B&N books on the same device ;-)

Frequent Contributor
Mela08
0 Kudos

So you used manualnooter today & still have access to Netflix? Maybe I will consider it. The Nook app isn't as smooth as the stock nook color interface
Reader
Flashfox
0 Kudos

Remember that Netflix on the NOOK is kind of pushing it. This device's processor was not sel;ected in order to run Netflix ;-)

Frequent Contributor
Mela08
0 Kudos

I had it on my NC running CM7.  It looked awesome until android removed it from the market or the update or whatever crashed it

Frequent Contributor
Mela08
0 Kudos

If anyone cares, I found the updated Netflix app at the link below.  It works perfectly again :smileyhappy:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/26/netflix-removes-device-check-should-work-on-all-android-devices...

New User
Nurse318
0 Kudos

I am iterested in watchignetflix on my nook color . I read on these posts about buying a gingerbread sd card is that all you have to do ? I am afraid to change anything in my nook for fear I will destroy it.

Contributor
Mac79pr
0 Kudos

Nurse318 wrote:

I am iterested in watchignetflix on my nook color . I read on these posts about buying a gingerbread sd card is that all you have to do ? I am afraid to change anything in my nook for fear I will destroy it.

Yes, you can just buy a (at least) 4GB sd card. Go to xda-developer's site:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

for instructions on how to install CM7 in your sd card. Go for the latest stable version instead of the a nightly (those might still be buggy working out the kinks).

Contributor
KevinMA
0 Kudos

Hey all,

Chubby8055 that description of the various "rooting" methods is what I have been looking for.

I have an understanding of some of the rooting terminallogy but what i wanted was to use my NC with the B&N stock software but have access to the android market.

By reading your descriptions below i think option 1 or 2 looks like the way forward!

Many thanks for the info!

And there was Nookcolor :smileyhappy:

...Running Honeycomb from Mirco SD and dual Boot!

Sweet!