Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Born2ReadNik
0 Kudos

Rooting Nook Color 1.3

I have been dying to root my nook, but I can not find easy instructions that are compatible with the 1.3 update. I have browsed the threads, checked youtube and google searched the topic..

I am sure someone here can direct me to get step by step directions or a video...

Thanks in advance... I know this topic is reposted often and I apologize if it is repetitive.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

Re: Rooting Nook Color 1.3

This is the standard method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054027

It only looks like a lot because most people aren't set up to make a bootable card. Once you get comfortable with that, you can do anything to the NC. If you check the "SD install" link in my sig (my blog), you'll find some notes at the end about working with SDs, and I put up a more in-depth post about bootable SDs last week.

I won't be any help with rooting itself--I've only done custom ROMs.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

And although I've done a little with custom ROMs, I've mostly focused on the process of rooting the stock software. 

I put together a step by step on the process at http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html which covers rooting OS 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3.

The third section, starting from 'Mode 3' tries to be a step by step on rooting 1.3 and some things to do immediately after you root (mostly uninstalling the Flash that BN installs and installing your own - the Android market tries to update Flash and things get ugly if you leave the old Flash installed and the market updates Flash.) 

Taosaur's exactly right:  the challenging piece is making the SD card to use to start the process. 

The NC boots off an SD card if it has a bootable SD card inserted at power on, and once you have that card made, you're completely ready to go. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
Born2ReadNik
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!! I just needed someone to direct me!!