Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139
0 Kudos

Re: Rooting Question

[ Edited ]

What guide are you using sardonic?

I used winImage.  Make sure you download the correct one if you decide to try that (32 or 64 bit)

Distinguished Correspondent
Sardonic
0 Kudos

Ok, like all great men in my family, when the going gets tough...take a nap!...

I'm using  -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

...and I watched a YouTube video...and I've read multiple threads on how easy this is...

I went and purchased an USB SDCard reader...as is also tradition, when an IT project gets tough throw more money at it...because I read somewhere that you can't write an image using an 'internal' SDCard reader...also, I have downloaded winima6485 and winima85...and it doesn't appear I am intelligent enough to use this tool...

So, in winima85 I load auto-nooter 3.0.0...go to Disk on the tool bar select Use Removable Disk E (the SDCard)...then, also on 'Disk' on the toolbar I choose "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image...."...then select Disk 2: at 3,8Gb (I am using a 4GB SDCard) - multiple card reader 1.00...click OK then I get a screen asking for Virtual Hard Disk (*.vhd)...I click on E again and come to a grinding halt...as I don't know what the tool is looking for..

...as a side note, I tend to make things more difficult than they need to be...

Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139

[ Edited ]

When it prompts you for a .vhd file see if you can switch the file type in the file explorer and change it to .img or all files.

I sent you a PM if you want to get in touch with me on instant messenger and I can talk you through it.

EDIT: And don't load auto nooter first.  Just go select restore to disk, click your micro sd card and then select the auto nooter image.

New User
tdmichel
0 Kudos

Now i have read countless of post on rooting and watched many of the vids on youtube of how to. My question is there two diffrent roots? the 2.0 and the honeycomb? what is the diffrence? and has there been any notice if barns and noble going to update the nook to honeycomb..i was at a barns and noble this weekend and the sales person there said he figures it wil be upgraded with in the next few weeks. so now i have this delema of what to do do i wait and see if they do upgrade it or do i chose which root to do? Is it worth doing.?

Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139
0 Kudos

There are several different types of software you can put on the nook, more then two actually. If you want something like CM7 you have to flash the ROM to the internal memory of your nook which is a lot more dangerous then the auto nooter method which does not modifiy your internal memory at all and boots off of an SD card.

The SD card method is extremly safe even if you mess something up. 

Sardonic
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help Dark and Orb!...today I learn how to un-root...

Creating the image on the SDCard was the 'tricky' part for me...

A 'Lessons Learned' for future 'rooters' on creating the image with WinImage-

1. Make sure you use 64bit WinImage if you are on Windows 7 64 bit O/S.
  2. When using WinImage DON'T load auto-nooter.  Go straight to DISK on the toolbar, select SDCard THEN select Restore Virtual Hard Disk...
  3. When new window appears change file selection to "ALL FILES"...auto-nooter may be an *.img versus an *.ima that is available on the file type drop-down menu.
spinndiva
0 Kudos

I am telling myself I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna do it today!!!! Then I amend: unless the update comes.....

My DH has been chomping at the bit from the get-go to root my NC... I guess I will jump off the deep end and join the dark side. Off to hand it over to DH. Wish me luck!

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

spinndiva wrote:

I am telling myself I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna do it today!!!! Then I amend: unless the update comes.....

My DH has been chomping at the bit from the get-go to root my NC... I guess I will jump off the deep end and join the dark side. Off to hand it over to DH. Wish me luck!

...we have cookies.

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

spinndiva wrote:

...we have cookies.

Cookies?!?! WHERE?!?! What kind!??! :smileyvery-happy:

I got my NC on Friday, the microsd card should be here on Wednesday, and then I'll be rooting. There's a part of me that says, "Wait and see what BN does..." however... I know I can always UNroot it and clear the card, and I'll have a card for storage. Sounds sort of win-win, to me. Other than the waiting for Wednesday part... :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

...we have cookies.

WHAT?!? Nobody told me about the cookies.  :smileymad:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
mn55019
0 Kudos

Good Luck.I had my SD card ready and changed my mind deciding to wait 2 different times before actually going ahead and rooting.To me,it was worth doing and am very happy with the access to the market.On the other hand,I'll probably let it go back to stock when the update comes and see how that works.Honestly,I'd be happy with a few more games,and a couple of basic apps but do have about 40 free apps I'm playing with on my rooted nook now.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

...we have cookies.

WHAT?!? Nobody told me about the cookies.  :smileymad:

Cookies come automagically when you root.   You didn't get yours?  :smileysurprised:

Maybe I'm...special.   :smileytongue:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
Triggerone
0 Kudos

I've got a 4 GB micro card in my hand........this can't be hard - right??

Frequent Contributor
Origamist
0 Kudos

I did it!  I rooted my nook!  One thing I will say is that I am not the most tech savvy person, although I am usually good at following instructions.  Nevertheless, I messed up somewhere in the process and I did have to reset to retry.  I was so upset that I had "broke it" (despite reading so many posts explaining how it is just about impossible to brick), but in the end everything worked.

I found that reading the directions did not help me as much as following a video.  Now I have my little nook, complete with e-mail, calendar, and everything else I use on a daily basis.  My nook just became 500% more important to me.

It was important for me to keep the B&N Home set up b/c I share my nook with a significant other who only uses it to read, but for me it is now the perfect multi tasker. 

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the support on this forum or else I would have never found the guts to give it a go!  Following the video, it was surprisingly easy! 

So now that I just jumped off the edge, you should definite take that micro SD and get started :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

No, it's not hard. Just follow the video by huskermania on YouTube. Just make sure to use the right autonooter file depending on your firmware. You'll be glad you did!

Inspired Contributor
Triggerone

Wow!  It took 20 minutes and it's done!

Off to play with all this new stuff.  Put my other sd card in and there's all my books and everything.......

Too cool!

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Congratulations, all you recent rooters!! YAYAYAY!

Now... which version did you use? Any tips/tricks?!?!

TWENTY MINUTES?!?! It took only 20 minutes?!?!?! 

Hurry up and get here, microsd card!!

spinndiva
0 Kudos

Ok so I must have done something wrong, since it is not working.. how do I restore it back to factory, so I can try again?

I can't believe I'm that stupid.. must have missed something or other LOL I guess I try with the video as suggested earlier... (or wait for DH to do it for me.. yes... that's the ticket... should have done that to begin with, but noooo, I'm a big girl, I can do it myself.....)

Haven't gotten my cookie yet, but working on it :smileywink:

Contributor
vermontcathy
0 Kudos

I just rooted my nook and I have a few questions.

1. The softkeys round grey circle with the arrow in it - it seems to be on top of the screen always? Is there a way to make it go away? I can move it around, but it's always there.

2. At first, when following the directions to get registered to gmail/android/youtube, youtube opened fine and I logged in to my account. But then later, when I click on it, it starts to open, then closes and I'm back at my Extras screen. It won't work. So I figured, I'd just delete the app and reinstall it from the marketplace (I've done that on my iPod Touch). So I went to manage apps and deleted it. Then I went to the marketplace... and am I blind or what? I can't find it. I've searched on "youtube", "you tube", went to the media and video, nothimg. Did I screw up?

3. I'm looking for an app that is simply like Gallery, but will use folders - so I can show a slideshow of JUST the photos in one folder. I don't need photo editing, or syncing photos with a website, or anything - just Gallery with folders. Any ideas?

This is pretty cool - thanks for your help!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

[ Edited ]

DH commented:

> the auto nooter method which does not modifiy your internal memory at all and boots off of an SD card. <

This is incorrect information.  The auto-nooter methods all modify the internal memory of your NC.  They root it, install the Android Market, etc.  You use the SD card once, then remove it.  These do leave A2.1 in place, along with the stock Library UI, etc.

OTOH, the SD card boot options let you run your choice of A2.2, A2.3, or A3.0.  They boot off the card, and do not modify the system in your internal memory.  They may provide shared access to your internal /media partition, so things could be accessed or updated there.  But you no longer have access to the standard Library UI.  Removing these cards and rebooting your NC then goes back to whatever you have in the internal memory.

I just wanted to clarify that these are 2 different things.  Booting from an SD card will let you try things out, while still letting you use your NC in it's stock mode (remove the card and restart), and accept updates from B&N such as the coming App Store, Flash, etc. 

Rooting it with AutoNooter however changes your internal configuration, and once done you won't be able to take any B&N updates without unrooting it first.  And when you do that, you lose all your bookmarks, notes, highlights, etc. and have to reregister it again from scratch.  That's a little tidbit that folks frequently fail to mention.

- Mark