Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Re: Rooting Question

Mark_OB1 wrote:

Rooting it with AutoNooter however changes your internal configuration, and once done you won't be able to take any B&N updates without unrooting it first.  And when you do that, you lose all your bookmarks, notes, highlights, etc. and have to reregister it again from scratch.  That's a little tidbit that folks frequently fail to mention.

- Mark

Shhhh! 

I'm still trying to unload all these stale cookies!  You'll ruin everything!  :smileysad:

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358

Serendip wrote:

Congratulations, all you recent rooters!! YAYAYAY!

TWENTY MINUTES?!?! It took only 20 minutes?!?!?! 

You might ask Triggerone to clarify that time, because in my experience, you're not going to manage everthing in that interval.

Sure, the AutoNootering process itself takes less than 3 minutes.  But first you have to find and download the proper version of AutoNooter (there are at least 3 of them, and you don't want to use the wrong one).  Then you have to find and grab the WinImage utility.  Then use it to write an An image to your SD card (very fast, because it's very small).  Put that in your NC and let it do it's thing, and it will boot up with a new splash screen.

From there though, you have to visit YouTube and set things up there, then set up stuff on Gmail, etc.  I didn't manage to do even that portion in 20 minutes, so Triggerone must be very fast.  Also, even if you're following  a step-by-step guide like on NookDevs or the Huskermania video, things don't always work exactly as described.  Which can lead to some head-scratching.

I just want people to be aware that even if you've read up on this stuff, and follow the directions exactly, there's no guarantee the process will be problem-free for you, or take anywhere near 20 minutes.

- Mark

P.S.  One other little tidbit that's also not often mentioned... once you've rooted your Nook with AutoNooter, there's a potential problem if and when the Nook wants to download an update, breaking your Root.  So most folks will lock out OTA updates.  But that's an extra step which is NOT included in the autoNootering process.

Inspired Contributor
Triggerone
0 Kudos

I followed the utube video.  And I had the sd card handy.  And basically followed along as it was shown on the screen.  The video is about 15 minutes long.  I stopped it twice for brief periods (maybe a minute each time) as I wasn't sure I understood the instruction.  Then plugged it in as directed.  And it booted up with a very pretty start up screen, then switched to my book shelves.

As to the Google and utube set up - yes, that took longer than the 20 minutes I mentioned.  But overall, it did not take very long.  And I was very fortunate that I had no problems with my root. 

I am a little concerned about "unrooting" it to see the update (whenever it may appear).  But I'm confident I can figure it out (with maybe some help from this board).  It really wasn't a long process.

I did have to turn it all the way off and back on once more to get everything to work correctly (apps in the extras screen, soft keys to work correctly, etc). 

And thanks for the clarification on the autonooter method changes the internal memory.  Once I had watched the video and thought about it a bit, it seemed obvious that something like that was going on. 

Still happy with it (ok - it's only been a day).  But I can read my books, and play some additional games.  I see I can access mail if I set it up that way - haven't done that yet as my smart phone usually keeps me up to date on that stuff.

Since I usually mess these kinds of things up, no one was more surprised than me how easy it was. 

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
0 Kudos

Triggerone,

thanks for the clarification on the extra time needed to complete the setup for gMail, etc. which is required for you to get access to the Market, which is what everyone is looking for.

One more tip, after grabbing a bunch of Apps from the Market, you won't see all of them when you go to Extras, even though you received Notifications that they all downloaded.  Power your Nook off, then back on again, and they should then all appear in Extras.

> I am a little concerned about "unrooting" it to see the update (whenever it may appear).  But I'm confident I can figure it out (with maybe some help from this board). <

Unrooting is easy, takes about 5 minutes and anyone can do it (power all the way off and on, 8 times, interrupting it when the N appears, each time while booting back up).  It will however nuke all your settings, which some may not care about, while others will find disappointing and/or aggravating. 

The time-consuming part is re-rooting afterwards, and then trying to set everything back up the way you had it before.  Possibly one of the Android backup utilities (Titanium?) could help minimize the extra hassle there.  That's farther than I've gotten though.

- Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
spinndiva
0 Kudos

Ok.. I'm stuck. It did not work and it won't let me de-register the nook now, so there is no way for me to get it back to factory settings. I can't de-root and I can't re-root because it fried all my SD cards.

They all were 4 gig and over, now all read under 2 gig...

I just want to get it back to factory settings right now.

My Husband has experience with rooting. He rooted his phone (more then once) and a few other devices as well. So he is not a novice. This has him stumped and fuming over the lost SD cards.

We followed the steps to a t and this is what happened and apparently we were not the only ones this happened to. Our SD cards are toast.

And as of now so is my nook. :smileysad:

Any suggestions what I can do to fix it?

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

@Mark_OB1 - Thank you!! I was pretty sure that auto-nooter changed the internal memory, and was getting confused from reading these boards.

Since I know less than nothing about Android, I know I want the MicroSD card boot, at least to start. Remove the card, reboot, back to good ole B&N NC. Insert card, reboot, back to Rooted Nook.

I'm on a Mac, and have an iPod Touch, so I know I'm going to be trying to find comparable Android Apps to what I'm used to on the Touch, and without having a clue... being SO easily able to revert to the unrooted Nook is a good idea for me.

Again, thank you!

spinndiva
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WOOO HOOOO! It got reset!

SO now on to buying a new SD card and then I will have my husband try this again LOL

I want that stale cookie! :smileywink:

ETA: It was brought back from the dead and I now call it affectionately my little Zombie!

Contributor
lexic

Format your SD cards in the Nookcolor and they will be re-partitioned. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

lexis is correct; your SD cards are fine.  The dd program (or Win32DiskImage.exe, for you Windoze users) makes an exact, bit-for-bit copy of the image, and as a result, your computer only "sees" the sized partition.   Formatting in the NC will resurrect your SD cards.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

spinndiva wrote:

Ok.. I'm stuck. It did not work and it won't let me de-register the nook now, so there is no way for me to get it back to factory settings. I can't de-root and I can't re-root because it fried all my SD cards.

They all were 4 gig and over, now all read under 2 gig...

I just want to get it back to factory settings right now.

My Husband has experience with rooting. He rooted his phone (more then once) and a few other devices as well. So he is not a novice. This has him stumped and fuming over the lost SD cards.

We followed the steps to a t and this is what happened and apparently we were not the only ones this happened to. Our SD cards are toast.

And as of now so is my nook. :smileysad:

Any suggestions what I can do to fix it?

Your SD cards are NOT "toast".....the image that's written to the card make it think it's a smaller card, but if you reformat it....it *should* show backup as it's proper size.

---------
Don
spinndiva
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions, but re-formatting the cards was the first thing I did, before I even posted.

Did not help... Laptop sees the full size, then when I put stuff on it, there is not enough room...

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

spinndiva wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but re-formatting the cards was the first thing I did, before I even posted.

Did not help... Laptop sees the full size, then when I put stuff on it, there is not enough room...

Do a full format, not a quick.   And if you're using a PC, check them with drive manager (under Computer management) and see if they're partitioned.   If so, unpartition them.

---------
Don
spinndiva
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's what we did... :smileywink:

DH went to SDCard.org got the deep formatting done and got ONE to work again...

DH is a CCNA... he sort of knows what he is doing around a computer. Me... a whole different story. I'm an artist

ETA: Thats why I love this forum! One gets so much help and I can surprise DH with new things I know :smileyhappy: (I just weave them casually in conversations tehehehehe) Thanks guys!

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

try FDISK to format.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
spinndiva
0 Kudos

Did that sweety....the formatting was not the issue.. it would not let him recover the complete size.

Well one is working... on to more fun things...

Contributor
lexic
0 Kudos

Did you try as suggested and use the NOOKcolor to format the cards?