Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Starsong4u
0 Kudos

Rooting.. to Root or not?

Call me confused.....

What are the pros and cons to rooting my NC?

Since I dont have a phone that does all that great stuff people talk about.. I dont know what the 2.2 means.

Can this be reverted if and when NC comes out with thier update?

Can rooting hurt the NC?

Do I need to get more memory?

Thanks ahead of time!

Star

Starla
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Re: Rooting.. to Root or not?

If you want all or at least most of what the android market has to offer then rooting is the way to go. From what I've read it is simple if you have the ability to read instructions and have a bit of tech/computer experience. Its close to impossible to brick the Nookcolor. The main reasons I havnt done is 1. I'm lazy. 2. I already spend more time fiddlin then reading on it and 3. I'm lazy: )
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

To answ your other questions... yes it is very easy to go back to stock and yes you will need a MICROSD card. I've read that a 2gig is fine. Personally I would get at least a class 6 4gig. 2.2 is the software version of android. The new 3.0 is supposed to be designed specifically for the larger screen size. (Android was orig designed for small screens on cell phones) JMHO
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Wordsmith
mariel9898

Pros to rooting (assuming doing a simple rooot with autonooter):

You have access to the Android Market and all the apps there. Well, almost all. The NC does not have a camera, microphone or GPS so apps like Shop, bank apps, some lookup apps, silly apps like TomCat don't work. Those apps I have on my Smartphone.

Games are much better to play on the larger screen of the NC rather than the smaller screen of a phone.

You can get a much better browser. I like Dolphin, but you can get Firefox, Chrome and several others.

You can have more than the standard 3 home pages if you download an app for it.

You can install widgets if you like.

You can install other reading apps even the Kindle app and better PDF readers.

Rooting gives you access to calendar.

You can install social networking apps like Facebook and Twitter.

You can have Gmail and other e-mail accounts connected to your NC.

It keeps all the functionality that it came with - library, shelves, keep reading button, etc.

Since it's still Android 2.1 no Flash.

Cons:

Might have to re-root if B&N comes out with an update. Not much of a con, you can use a backup program like Titanium backup and not loose anything.

Your battery may not last as long if you go widget happy. If you don't it's the same.

Rooting the simple way can't hurt the unit. On another tech board someone asked if anyone had managed to brick their NC and so far not one person has.

You probably don't need more memory, by which I'm assuming you mean more storage space. You can buy microSD cards up to 32 MB.

From everything that I have read, it's very easy to go back to factory fresh stock. Most people are not expeting much from the update. Full market access is very doubtful. Unless B&N comes out with an update that will give full functionality and full access to the Android Market I can't see myself going back to stock.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

Rooting is very tempting.  I'm going to wait a little bit longer - until the next sofware update (end of month if we are all lucky) and until Honeycomb bugs are worked out.    If I'm happy with BN ap stores and sofware updates, I'll keep it as it.  Otherwise, I'll probably go the micro SD route.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Starsong4u wrote:

Call me confused.....

What are the pros and cons to rooting my NC?

Since I dont have a phone that does all that great stuff people talk about.. I dont know what the 2.2 means.

Can this be reverted if and when NC comes out with thier update?

Can rooting hurt the NC?

Do I need to get more memory?

Thanks ahead of time!

Star

You heard about the cookies, right?

We has them.

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Reader 2
coffeerocketship
0 Kudos

I'm happy with it how it is as well. My primary purpose for this thing was reading books, anyway.

However, I am rooted, and I find that other apps are useful in similar ways, and sorta fit my book-reading context... like taking notes, mind mapping, reading RSS feeds, things like that.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Cons: 

• You void your warranty
  • You can't read for an hour each day at B&N stores anymore

I don't know of any others. 

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

SandraPants wrote:

Cons: 

• You void your warranty
  • You can't read for an hour each day at B&N stores anymore

I don't know of any others. 

As I responded in another forum and the thing about voiding the warranty.

Well since I can unroot and reset it back to factory fresh and have done just that 3 days ago. And now have a factory fresh nook with everything back to when I bought it. And if I had to return or exchange it How would they know I rooted it?

Also the other option is to do the SD card boot method. Put Honeycomb or whatever other flavor of android on an SD card. Turn on nook with SD card in and boots to Android. Turn off remove SD card and boots to normal. No changes are made to system.

That is a generic response from company individuals with little or no understanding of how it works. And are just making blanket statement to cover themselves.

As it is almost impossible to brick or make your nook color unusable. And you can restore it to factory fresh. How then is it possible for B&N  to determine if indeed the warranty has been violated!

2nd point is no longer true either as people that have autonook root their nook are reporting In-Store and Childrens book working fine. But that is with individuals that used the auto-nooter method have reported success at in-store. Other methods or flavors of rooting may give different results.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Nice, good to hear.  :smileyhappy:

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

So what is the preferred method for rooting? I'd like to boot from the SD card and remove it to go back to factory. Is that possible? How do you do it? I'm a new NC owner but I'm technically savvy.

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

japerry wrote:

So what is the preferred method for rooting? I'd like to boot from the SD card and remove it to go back to factory. Is that possible? How do you do it? I'm a new NC owner but I'm technically savvy.

Autonooter. It is dirt simple. You can go back to factory by restoring the original ROM via a recovery image or simply doing the factory reset process (it involves interrupting boot up a number of times in a row to simulate a "stuck" device at which point the nook factory resets itself).

I rooted my nook day one and NO WAY would I unroot it. It is a million times better rooted. People complain about "missing" things or "wish lists" on here all day and 90% of the time a rooted NC can do what they are hoping/wishing for today.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

*Grin*

Cookies en route.

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

So exactly how do you "un-root" a Nook if you used Nooter to load it?

My First Short Story
Frequent Contributor
pjafla
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is there any reasonably simple way to prevent a rooted Nook Color from automatically updating the O/S if B&N relases a new version?

Since web connection is needed for so many of the apps that can now be used on a rooted device, turning off WIFI is not a practical solution.

Reader 2
thef00l2
0 Kudos

my question is with the microSD you used for rooting (Autonooter).  Does it have to remain in the NC? or can it be swapped safely with a different card (such as a larger one) w/o having to image the new card?

Inspired Contributor
molivrock
0 Kudos

The SD card you use for Autonooter is removed after the bootup - if left in the NC, it will attempt to re-root upon every boot.  Once it is used to root the first time, most people just re-format it back to FAT32 and use it for storage.

If you're using the Froyo or Honeycomb "boot from SD card" method, then the card is your operating system and can't be used or re-formatted again (until you decide you don't want to

boot from it in the future).  When the card is not in the NC, it boots to the stock B&N interface.

I use a bootable Froyo 0.6.8 card when I want to play with an "android" tablet and then remove the card to go back to stock Nook Color.  If B&N is not forthcoming with the 2.2 update and the app store, then I will go full root and never look back.  I'm in no rush, the developers are working hard on a number of new ROM's and it's only a matter of time until the Nook Color can run a number of different versions of Android very easily.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

Hmm... Not that I want to *DO* it but it would be good to know *HOW*.

japerry wrote:

So exactly how do you "un-root" a Nook if you used Nooter to load it?

My First Short Story
Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

I've rooted my Nook (Not the Nook Color) and I have to admit, I'm quite happy with it that way. For me rooting it allows me to have the bottom cover option on *all* my side loaded books (loaded through Calibre). And it combines my Side loaded ebooks together with my B&N books, rather than having to look in different areas for them. And I believe that Shelves work also. I don't know this for a fact, since I don't need/use shelves, since I have it displayed alphabetical, (series names are automatically tacked on through calibre). I have an Older nook, so for me rooting it was a cake-walk. And to reverse it is just as easy, I'd just need to load the 1.0 (1.1?) version of the nook operating system, then boot it, and let it download the absolute latest version. There was only three reasons for me to root mine, 1. to allow for REAL Deletion of ebooks, 2. To see the covers of all my ebooks in the bottom display, and 3. To dynamically remove/add icons/options I don't want or need.

Now I haven't checked recently at nookdevs, BUT there was an issue with the newest Nooks (non-color) that if you tried the standard nook rooting it would brick the nook. I think the serial numbers had to start with 10003 (something like that), Obviously confirmation of that would be at nookdevs.com. Keep in mind rooting WILL say bye bye to your warrenty (not sure if they can tell if you rooted it if you revert it back or not). My nook is already a year old, so I'm not overly worried about lack of warrenty support.

So anyways if you decide to root, read carefully nookdevs to see if it's really what you want.