Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Rooting - which specific technique & version

There are several different ways to implement "rooting" your NC - from booting with the SDcard to actually modifying the NC firmware.

Which technique have you tried - and which versions have you liked for stability.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Rooting - which specific technique & version

I like the stock 1.1.0 release rooted with monster root pack on the internal card, with the Nook app installed from the Android marketplace.  I run my noook at 1.1 ghz.  I understand there is now a 1.2 ghz kernel in the world.  Soon to be applied, if it supports the stock rom.

I have also autonooted, used Cyanogen and nookie froyo. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
mercury1965
0 Kudos

I've used all Huskermania's methods (youtube, thanks Alex) to root; Eclair, Gingerbread and Honeycomb. Each root was painless.

Contributor
NewEReader
0 Kudos

Great question.  Where can I get a rundown explanation of all the different types of rooting and which is the easiest for a Nook/Android novice?  I basically want Flash (without the problems I am reading about here after the update) and the bigger choice of Android Apps than is currently available with the new update.  I read on one of the threads that someone was using Froyo 2.2 (I think that was the name) and it seemed to be a good choice.  Where can I get it?  Do I have to install it on the machine itself or on a SD card?  Which is the best method?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

NewEReader wrote:
Great question.  Where can I get a rundown explanation of all the different types of rooting and which is the easiest for a Nook/Android novice?  I basically want Flash (without the problems I am reading about here after the update) and the bigger choice of Android Apps than is currently available with the new update.  I read on one of the threads that someone was using Froyo 2.2 (I think that was the name) and it seemed to be a good choice.  Where can I get it?  Do I have to install it on the machine itself or on a SD card?  Which is the best method?

Here's a pretty good one, with explanations, and lots of links to the various alternatives.

http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick-your-nook-color-operating-system-and-install-options/

- Mark

New User
MommyofTwinsE-H
0 Kudos

Can a technically-challenged person do this?  When reading a lot of these posts what I "hear" is "blah, blah, blah."  Thanks

Contributor
Epilogue
0 Kudos

Mommyof Twins: I have no doubt that you could do it. The worry would be that since you're not technically-inclined, you might miss a step or not understand exactly what the step is asking you to do. If you don't have an answer readily available, you might get into trouble that creates more problems.  I would either get a techie to assist you or read/reread the directions several times before you do it.

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

First question to ask your self before rooting is "What do I want from this? Why did I buy this device?". Did you buy an e-reader primarily but now want to do more, or did you buy a low end tablet that you want to experiment with? By "low end" I don't mean to slam the NC - l love mine and am amazed at what the devs have done with it, but it is missing some components of the other tablets on the market and the processor is not as fast either.

If you want to keep your B&N stock functionality because you want an e-reader first and foremost but want access to the Android Market as well as others (AppBrain, Amazon, GetJar, etc.) and you want to keep things simple then autonooter is the way to go. There is no autonooter yet for firmware 1.2 but they are working on it and it should be out very soon. I see no reason why it would not be an almost identical procedure to the previous ones but you have to follow the story as it's unfolding as I write this.

If you want to play around with different ROMs and don't care about the B&N stock then you can flash different ones to your internal memory. Be aware that this is not a "simple root" so you need to be a bit more tech savvy. Also, be aware that there is no tech support for any of this, you are running freeware from the Internet from people who do know what they are doing, but who are also constantly experimenting. They are constantly updating the ROMs and doing different things. New ROMs come up all the time, sometimes projects get started and then they stop. You will be joining the dev community so you better know what you are getting into. Be aware that you may have to make a significant time investment. Also know that many of these ROMs work best when overclocked which is something you may not want to do.

If you want sort of the best of both worlds you can either use autonooter or leave your NC as is and run different ROMs off sd cards. Be aware that you may want to invest in some class 6 or higher good quality cards that are at least 16 GB. You will probably also need to overclock in order to get the most of these ROMs.

I used autonooter 3.0 and am waiting for the next one. I have not updated to firmware 1.2 yet. Once all the dust clears I will try running CM7 and possibly Honeycomb from sd cards just to play around with them and see what they and the NC can do.

As for the B&N update, I have been reading these boards for the past day and I have a suspicion based on what's been posted that many people

1) are not following the directions correctly

2) are not doing common sense things like rebooting the NC before and after they install the update

3) I get the feeling lots of people don't understand the difference between rebooting and sleeping

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

Try these two links:

http://quinxy.com/2011/04/01/complete-guide-to-installing-configuring-cyanogenmod-7-rc4-android-2-3-...

and the link it's based on, VeryGreen's XDA guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

I would highly suggest using a Sandisk 8 gig mini SDHC card (I use a class 4, and it works fine for me), which retails for about $20 or so at Staples and some other stores (on sale). The prep image you're burning fits fine on an 8 gig card.

This is for running CM7 on the nook...I recommend only using stable (they are up to 7.0.2), and not the nightlies, unless you're willing to have some stuff broken. Booting off the SD card allows you to have the best of both, you can run rooted, or run the updated 1.2 stock on your nook without a problem. Both links are very detailed, and if you follow instructions, you should be ok, though it is possible that you could run into issues if your nook has some other hardware issues going on.

Using this method, you should be able to simply shut down, take the SD card, and get back to stock without a problem. Again, do this at your own risk, though I think the risk is extremely minimal if  you follow directions EXACTLY!!!.

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Speaking of cards, there have been lots of issues reported with Class 10 cards on various boards, so I would be careful using those. I've used the Sandisk Class 4 card with very few FC's (forced closes).