Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

Rooting with a less than class 6 card?

I decided to root and I can't get a class 6 card anywhere locally.  I ordered one on ebay last week, it showed up today, and it turns out they sent me the wrong thing and it's just an ordinary 1 gigabyte card with no class designation.  I told the seller and they've shipped me the correct card already, but it won't get here until Friday at the earliest.  I'm tired of waiting and I have a 2 gig class 2 card.  What would happen if I rooted with that, would it be THAT bad?  I'm mainly only wanting to root out of curiosity and I will most likely unroot and update when the update comes out.  Would the 2 card just be slow, or could it cause problems?

Inspired Correspondent
mickeyquickrice
0 Kudos

Re: Rooting with a less than class 6 card?

I bought a rooted card off ebay it was a class 4 and it was slooooooow like waiting for dial-up.Then I got a class 6 rooted card big difference in speed...way faster.But then I saw a video on youtube a guy using a class 2 card and it was doing great.I don't know if it was the brand of card or the speed that made the difference.Maybe check on youtube...Hope this helps Mick

If I had a dollar for every book I have read I would be RICH!
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

julianka wrote:

I decided to root and I can't get a class 6 card anywhere locally.  I ordered one on ebay last week, it showed up today, and it turns out they sent me the wrong thing and it's just an ordinary 1 gigabyte card with no class designation.  I told the seller and they've shipped me the correct card already, but it won't get here until Friday at the earliest.  I'm tired of waiting and I have a 2 gig class 2 card.  What would happen if I rooted with that, would it be THAT bad?  I'm mainly only wanting to root out of curiosity and I will most likely unroot and update when the update comes out.  Would the 2 card just be slow, or could it cause problems?

If you intend on using Autonooter to root your NC then the speed of the card really doesn't make a difference.  Go ahead and use the 2GB class 2 card that you have.

If you intend on BOOTING OFF the SD card then you probably should wait for the class 6 card to show up. 

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Contributor
Azilla
0 Kudos

I use a class 4 for all my rooting needs, but I run off the internal memory not sd card...this is only slow really when restoring a backup but still not bad..

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

I rooted using autonooter 3.0 with a class 4 2g card and it worked beautifully.
Contributor
Cpt420
0 Kudos

Hi, I just received my Nookcolor from HSN, and im loving it already, couple of questions though. I'm looking into rooting it but how do you know what class card you have, and if I root it after the update will I still have all the updated perks, or if I root before the update will it hinder the update, thanx for any help.

Thanx, and always, pass to the left.
Contributor
rogerdugans
0 Kudos

Short answer:

Any class sd card can be used to root, but if you run another version of Android from the sd card it will be slow.

Long Answer:

Rooting itself can be done just fine with a class 4 card like mine, or just about any micro sd really.

As for rooting itself: it is pretty simple to do but can be confusing because there are so many options:

*Root but otherwise leave stock (add extra apps but retain the B&N look, feel and reading app)

*Leave the Nook Color stock but run a custom operating system from the sd card- this leaves the NC completely stock but runs another operating system on the sd card, although it is a bit slower than it would be if you ran on the internal memory (trickier setup and slower, but no changes to your precious NC. :smileyhappy: ) This is where you want a FAST sd card, really.

*Replace the stock version of Android with a custom one- you lose the B&N extras (in store reading, free books, magazines and such I think, maybe more...) but you get a great tablet.

**If you go the second or third routes there are still choices: Honeycomb (tablet android, though a hacked version that is not quite problem free) Froyo (2.2 Android which B&N is update stock NCs to soon- working flash, etc) or CyanogenMod 7 (2.3 Android "Gingerbread", often seen as "CM7", which is still being worked on and while not released as "stable, Release Candidate 4 "RC4" is excellent.)

It is not as confusing as it may seem at first, really.

And know that Barnes and Noble did a great job with the Nook Color: it is almost impossible to "break" your Nook doing any of these things. (Note that you MAY have to reset and re-register in a worst-case scenario, but it will still work.)

There is a thread in here (somewhere!) about rooting with excellent instructions on how to do it.

My best advice to anyone knew to this kind of thing: make sure you understand before you do it- lots of places for info and helpful people to ask questions of.

I know, long answer to a short question. :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

Agreed with the above. I rooted from a class 2 card.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Remember the distinction between rooting and booting.

I tried the booting route with honeycomb with 8gb class 4... performance is fine, startup takes a tad longer then stock, but once things are loaded, all is fine.  Angry birds, file downloads, app installs are all acceptable.  

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.