Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

STILL have not gotten the automatic update!

I have been patiently awaiting the update to download automatically!  It STILL has not come!  I am not very techie at all, so I haven't manually downloaded it.  I am afraid I will corrupt some file or something.  I may be forced to make a trip to my local BN and have them do it for me!

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Re: STILL have not gotten the automatic update!

Sounds like a plan.
Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

Tried to downlaod update manually...need help please

So much for my plan.  I didn't want to wait any longer and didn't feel like getting out in the rain, so I decided to try it myself.  I watched the video on my nookcolor.  I followed the instructions, ejected my nook from the computer.  The little nook sign that is supposed to come up on the bottom of the screen did not.  I see a zip file of it in "my files" under media.  It has a question mark on it.  It does not appear to have updated though.  Under device info it still says 1.1 version.

What do I do now?

Frequent Contributor
Red_Reign_Six
0 Kudos

Re: Tried to downlaod update manually...need help please

Go to your local B&N, tha'ts what I did.  While it's downloading check out some magazines, get a coffee, look at some books.  Before you know it, it's done!  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Ohbjuan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Les1017 wrote:

So much for my plan.  I didn't want to wait any longer and didn't feel like getting out in the rain, so I decided to try it myself.  I watched the video on my nookcolor.  I followed the instructions, ejected my nook from the computer.  The little nook sign that is supposed to come up on the bottom of the screen did not.  I see a zip file of it in "my files" under media.  It has a question mark on it.  It does not appear to have updated though.  Under device info it still says 1.1 version.

What do I do now?

Make sure your Nookcolor is not in sleep mode. Wake it up after disconnection from your computer and it will start the update if you put the zip file in the root directory.

Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

Apparently I should have stuck with my original plan.  I still can't get it to download, so I guess I will have to make a trip down there after all. 

Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

How do I put the file in the root directory and where exactly is that?

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Try this first.  It isn't a recognized way of doing it, but it worked for me when nothing else would get the 1.1 update to install.  Plug your NC into your computer with the usb cable.  Then download the update DIRECTLY onto the root directory of the Nook, bypassing the computer altogether.  It worked for me!

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Les1017 wrote:

How do I put the file in the root directory and where exactly is that?

The root dir is your main directory--ie: on your pc it is usually the c drive under that are your subdirectories and files.  You should be able to go to your start button (assuming windows platform), my computer and see your c drive and your nook drive there.  Just drag and drop the file into it and it should copy it to your root.  You might want to delete the previously saved file first. 

Frequent Contributor
Les1017

Kingskidjan ----  Thank you!  It worked.  I saw that the problem was when I dragged the update to my nookcolor it copied to "my files".  I deleted it and was very careful this time when I dragged the file to make sure it copied to my root directory!  It worked! 

Now....let's see if I can work my nookcolor on the new update!  LOL

New User
chloe50
0 Kudos

I say dont do the update, it has only caused me grief. I had to take it to B&N and they downloaded it, but once i got home to use it it couldnt find my wifi~~~ I have been into B&N several times and on the phone with support and also on the phone with my internet wifi provider to no avail.... B&N cant seem to fix the problem~~~~ If i knew then what i know now I would not have had it downloaded!!! it still does not work I am going back to B&N today. and Believe me we have tried everything!!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

chloe50,  when you took your NC to the store to have them install the update, had you already tried to install the update yourself?

At the B&N store after they updated it did they demonstrate that the update was working properly?

If your NC was working prior to the update on you wifi, who setup the wifi connection you or someone else?  Does your wifi use a passcode ?  Have you gone into your NC >settings >Wireless and made sure 1. it is turned on, 2. if there is a passcode required is that info setup in your NC?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Also, there have been some suggestions to try on the tech support board that have to do with some of the router's settings.  It is best to see if it will connect to wifi elsewhere to determine if the problem is your wifi setup not connecting to the NC or if the problem is with the NC.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
horsejumperGC
0 Kudos

IT has done the same 2 me idk

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

horsejumperGC wrote:

IT has done the same 2 me idk

Hi horsejumperGC,

If you have a question about your Nook Color update please ask it clearly and someone here will try to help. Might be best to ask without the text speak to insure you are not misinterpreted.:smileywink:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A