Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Sam: Gallery

crabbybob wrote:

"This is our son, this the last book we read, this came with the Nook, this is our daughter, this is another book I read, this came with the nook color, this is our dog, this is yet another book I read, oh you read that too?   Cool.   This is another one of those photos that come on the Nook Color.  Huh?   No, sorry, for some reason, I can't delete them.   Yeah, I know, your Galaxey Tab doesn't do that, but then, this is an E Reader after all."

:smileyvery-happy:

I think you forgot screen shots! :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Re: Sam: Gallery recommendation

SAM: I recommend you spend a few minutes with JALBUM.NET and see the tons of easy features they offer... these would make a great gallery app.

ALSO PLEASE A FILE MANAGER

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

SLevine wrote:

Hi All--

Added your Photo App suggestion (and included feature details) to our wishlist for new Apps.  Thanks for your time in putting these details together! -Sam

Hi Sam,

NC users have been complaining about the lack of functionality of the stock Gallery App since the NC came out back in Nov 2010 ( a full 8 months now.)  Above wishlist was acknowledged in May.  Are we getting any closer to seeing an app for this (Just Pictures, Quick Pic, FishBowl, anything?)  Can you check into this and let us know if this something that we can expect in the NEAR future?

Thanks for your help with this!

Frequent Contributor
Mike1995
0 Kudos

Just want to put my two cents in on this.  I bought the NC in May after the update, and one of the main reasons was for the gallery app to show photos.  Other tablets can do this, but the price point was the main reason I bought the NC.  I knew about the lack of file management and accepted it.  What I can't accept is the the Gallery App doesn't even work.  Every fourth of fifth photo I scroll to turns up black, and I have to go to grid and find the photo, click on it, then it displays.  I asked about this on the forum and it turned out to be a common bug.  So I rooted from an SD Card- didn't even want to have to do that. It's extremely frustrating to buy something- accept it's limitations, but then have it turn out it doesn't even work!  Get an app out there for photos that works- pathetic that it's not already out there.  I was showing people photos on my unrooted NC this past weekend, and they were getting impatient how I had to go out of it and re-find the photo.  Embarassing, waste of money, and the people I show it to aren't interested in buying one a nook after they see it.  They tell me I threw  my money away. 

Frequent Contributor
NateSC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

An artist/painter and illustrator, I display my work on my Nook Color

I do not use the Gallery app

Here's what I did/do...

• I have a micro-chip in the Nook
  • On my computer I created a folder "Art"
  • Put my images into this folder
  • I connect (USB) the Nook
  • Drag folder "Art" to the chip on the Nook
  • Disconnect Nook from computer
  • Turn on Nook
  • Go to Library
  • Choose the chip directory
  • Choose folder "Art"
  • Display the images in grid format, Slideshow format, or individually

Keep file sizes small

Works beter if "Art" folder is not a sub folder (inside another folder)

Seems to work for me.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

@NateSC

I was really hoping your suggestion would work for me but it's not.  Created a new folder called Art like you suggested on my SD card (not a subfolder under My Files, My Pictures.)

Choose folder "Art"

• Display the images in grid format, Slideshow format, or individually

It's this last step.  If you can look at it again and see what else it is that you are doing, I would really appreciated.  When I choose the folder "ART", there is a list of files in there (mine are all jpeg). The only "display" I have is the pink flower (no preview.)  When I actually select a file to view, brings me to the viewer but can only view an individual photo at a time (no grid or slideshow format.)  Can backswipe in the status bar to get back to the list of files, but I can't find seem to get the grid or slideshow to work.  Also, have you figured out how to view in alpha order, or is it still by most recent date?

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated (by many I think!)  Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

there are many good album-gallery apps for free.  httphotos and jalbum to name a few.  httphotos creates a master index file of all the albums created.  

sideload all onto teh SD chip or main memory... opent he main file (index.html) and voila, you'll see a lis tof all albums including  athumbnail.

there are a few technical issues related to the browser (not the NC).

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

CaptainGuy wrote:

there are many good album-gallery apps for free.  httphotos and jalbum to name a few.  httphotos creates a master index file of all the albums created.  

Captain, while I do appreciate the suggestion, those are simply workarounds, not solutions.

They also require you to manage and maintain your photo albums on a PC, and move them to the NC for viewing.  That makes no sense, when the NC could (and should) be able to do so itself.

However, I do agree that it's better than the sad state of affairs we have currently.

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

true.  

But how do you get the photos to your NC even with a great gallery app?  usually a PC or Mac is used to sideload.  If you download them via the web, you have no possibility of organizing them by category, etc. unless you conect and move them into discrete folders using the PC or Mac.  NC version "X" may allow usb directly to a camera, but that too is unlikely.

A rich feature set on the NC native gallery would be ideal, but probably not gonna happen.

Frequent Contributor
NateSC
0 Kudos

Sam gallery... sorry you're having an issue... I just click everything until something happens (basically how I discover most of this stuff - by accident)

My files are all jpg format, small (ie: 573x700, 100kb but some even larger)

• I also see the list of files
  • I click on one image, it opens in viewer (no flower?)
  • At the bottom of the screen, right above the main embossed nook horseshoe is a row of icons, in the middle of the row is kind of a flat half circle with a little ^ arrow.
  • Click in the blank area of your screen right above that
  • Another row of icons appears on the screen below your image
  • "slideshow, wallpaper, crop, left, right" and a trash can for deleting the image(s)
  • While this is open if you look at the top of the screen it shows at left "gallery" and a right an icon that says grid.... this screen goes away quick
  • Choosing one of these options will let you do a slideshow, see a bunch of small images in a grid format, choose a wallpaper, crop, etc.
  • As far as ordering the files, not sure about that, just need to experiment, but with the grid thing, I suppose you could visually choose one... the answer to this may be simple, I just haven't looked into it

Maybe this will help?

Frequent Contributor
NateSC
0 Kudos

Sort of off topic, but maybe not...

I'm planning to get hold of that ready made sd chip to let the Nook use the android market... perhapse that set of apps will offer something better in the way of a viewing/presentation show... maybe even something like power point...

anyway, this process works for now... maybe not the best.

All the images I load in the library are on my computer anyhow, not stored at flickr, etc.

Frequent Contributor
Mike1995
0 Kudos

Just to clarify:

sideload all onto teh SD chip or main memory... opent he main file (index.html) and voila, you'll see a lis tof all albums including  athumbnail.

there are a few technical issues related to the browser (not the NC).

You're talking about a rooted NC, correct?

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

NO NO and NO

These PC and Mac apps generate a folder for each "Album (topic, category, etc)"

These are JPG's and HTML files.  Put the group in you NC.  then click on the index.html file... the browser then goes to the master page.  As you click on an album, you get a thumbnail view and can run slide show or one at a time. 

You can rename the top level index.html to something like "guys pix.html"

see attached... This was done with httpphotos at http://www.digicamsoft.com/softhttphotos.html

It is a simple program... jalbum.net is more featured but more complicated.

Sample of Nook Albums

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

NateSC wrote:

Sam gallery... sorry you're having an issue... I just click everything until something happens (basically how I discover most of this stuff - by accident)

My files are all jpg format, small (ie: 573x700, 100kb but some even larger)

• I also see the list of files  NO - the "flower" was here.
  • I click on one image, it opens in viewer (no flower?)
  • At the bottom of the screen, right above the main embossed nook horseshoe is a row of icons, in the middle of the row is kind of a flat half circle with a little ^ arrow.
  • Click in the blank area of your screen right above that
  • Another row of icons appears on the screen below your image
  • "slideshow, wallpaper, crop, left, right" and a trash can for deleting the image(s)
  • While this is open if you look at the top of the screen it shows at left "gallery" and a right an icon that says grid.... this screen goes away quick
  • Choosing one of these options will let you do a slideshow, see a bunch of small images in a grid format, choose a wallpaper, crop, etc.
  • As far as ordering the files, not sure about that, just need to experiment, but with the grid thing, I suppose you could visually choose one... the answer to this may be simple, I just haven't looked into it

Maybe this will help?

Oh bummer, you are actually just accessing the Gallery App a different way (I was SO HOPING for the SECRET KEYSTROKE or whatever that would allow you to just access a single folder of photos, preferably in alpha or sequential order, and not all the folders.)  But thank you for taking the time to type out all the steps of how you are accessing.  The effort was appreciated.

In meantime, saw your comment about possibly purchasing one of those CM7 SD cards.  I too am (unfortunately) starting to lean in that direction in order to get some basic Gallery functionality. (Just Pictures or Quick Pic would probably fill my needs --- I don't need anything too complicated.)  But am concerned about stability and battery life on CM7 (I'll post some questions over there and we'll see what they have to say.)

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy

for httpphotos, goto a short and crude tutorial at 

http://www.guym.com/nookpix/

Frequent Contributor
NateSC
0 Kudos

@ Captain Guy...

A question...

How are you getting that screen grab of your Nook screen??...

I tried several ways - no soap - probably missing something simple

Thanks a bunch

Frequent Contributor
NateSC
0 Kudos

@ Captain Guy...

OOPsy...

Just answered my question... saw your link to the photo app and have downloaded it

Thanks!  :smileytongue:

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

CaptainGuy wrote:

for httpphotos, goto a short and crude tutorial at 

http://www.guym.com/nookpix/

Thank you so much for showing us this!!  Works beautifully!!!!!!!!

GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

CaptainGuy, Thank you for posting this.  OK, so I have successfully installed the HTTPhoto product on my PC and created an album, easy.  I drug the album, the index, the .gif file to the NC and they show up fine.  I open the folder by touching the index thumbnail and the web browser opens and I get the thumbnail viewer.  Everytime I want to view anything, the Nook asks me to select a network to complete the task.  I'm not on wifi now but the wireless is on as per instructions.  I select "other network" and click "done" and the photo opens fine.  But I have to do this for every single photo I open.  Suggestions?  Thank you.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

GDJ wrote:

CaptainGuy, Thank you for posting this.  OK, so I have successfully installed the HTTPhoto product on my PC and created an album, easy.  I drug the album, the index, the .gif file to the NC and they show up fine.  I open the folder by touching the index thumbnail and the web browser opens and I get the thumbnail viewer.  Everytime I want to view anything, the Nook asks me to select a network to complete the task.  I'm not on wifi now but the wireless is on as per instructions.  I select "other network" and click "done" and the photo opens fine.  But I have to do this for every single photo I open.  Suggestions?  Thank you.

I think it has to have a network available (remembered) all the time.  Mine is connected to my home network all the time so it doesn't ask me.