Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000

Sam: Gallery

I am an amateur photographer and the NC (unrooted) is a great solution for having the data I need with me.  The one place it falls short is the Gallery.  Could we get folder recognition  or tagging/filtering or both?   I would like to be able to show a client some photos without having all my photos displayed.  The ability to have folders for categories of photos (public, personal, ect) or to tag photos and sort by tags would be great.

Thanks

Chuck

Contributor
Blade21292
0 Kudos

Re: Sam: Gallery

THIS is ALL i was looking for in the update! If not a way to sort the native gallery, AT LEAST access to a different gallery app, such as fishbowl, in the market.
Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

While not as useful as a more robust gallery app, you could orgainze them on one of the many online picture gallery sites and then use the browser to access them.  Of course this would require having wifi access.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

cfbush2000 wrote:

I am an amateur photographer and the NC (unrooted) is a great solution for having the data I need with me.  The one place it falls short is the Gallery.  Could we get folder recognition  or tagging/filtering or both?   I would like to be able to show a client some photos without having all my photos displayed.  The ability to have folders for categories of photos (public, personal, ect) or to tag photos and sort by tags would be great.

Thanks

Chuck

Your welcome!

no, but i agree. that was one of the motivators for me to root.  I have not checked yet, but its hard to imagine there not being a free gallery app on the market that allows thumbnails, tagging, filtering, subfolders, etc.

Contributor
Blade21292
0 Kudos

There are many in the android market.There are just none available in the B&N market. No way to do it without either an online folder as stated earlier, or rooting.
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine

Great suggestion cfbush2000- adding this to our list of feature suggestions for future firmware updates. Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Thank you Sam.

HumbleCorrespondent

As a work around, I started putting photos into PowerPoint presentations.  Measure the NC screen, and define your slides by those dimensions.  Place one photo per slide, making it as large as will fit on the slide.

Decide whether your slides are portrait or landscape based on the orientation of the pictures that you have the most of.  For example, if you have more landscape oriented pictures, then make the slides landscape.  Do not, then, put portrait pictures on their sides, expecting them to be upright when you turn your NC.  The pictures will be bigger, but the NC will detect the rotation, and rotate the slide, leaving the picture still on its side.

My preference is to make the slide background black.  Whatever you choose, make the picture's 'fill' color the same.  You won't see a difference in PowerPoint, but when you display it in your NC, if you don't change the fill color, then you may see a white band around your pictures.

Finally, you may want to compress the pictures in PowerPoint.  I chose the setting for print quality.  On your NC, in most cases you will not see a difference picture quality.  This will make your slide shows considerably smaller in size.  If you don't compress, and you have a lot of pictures in one slide show, then your slide show will get progressively slower the farther into it you go.

This is admittedly more of a pain than being able to just drop your pictures into folders, but until they fix the gallery, it's the only way I've found that you can group and sort pictures.  Not to mention, you won't have to worry about the wallpaper, book covers, etc showing up among your pictures.

I hope this helps.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Thank you.  It is a bit of a pain, and I'm not sure I'll try it, but it should work for some of us.  +1

Inspired Contributor
David_Dearman
0 Kudos

One more thing to add to the above. As an amateur photographer, I would benefit from having access to the Exif data of the photos available in the Gallery app.
Contributor
White_Pine
0 Kudos

I loaded a bunch of photos from a recent vacation with the intention of sharing them and also editing the collection down to something viewable without putting people to sleep. My experience is that the photos load in descending order, so I am looking at thetrip backwards. Also, the photos display in a variety of orientations, such as upside down and sideways. If I reorient the nook to rectify this, the image changes to a different one. So that is something that could use some improvement. Also, does the gallery scale the photos to the nook display screen resolution? And it would be great to have arrow keys on this keyboard so one can make corrections while writing...
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Sam, glad you have added his suggestions to the list.  They sound good. But.... firmware updates seem to take a long time. 

In the meantime, is anyone at B&N exploring adding a photo app? (There are already several basic apps on the Android market that allow more efficient photo viewing.  I would happily pay a dollar or two get this feature sooner rather than later.) Thanks for considering this.

Wild_images

Sheesh, do a search.   People have been asking for them to fix the gallery app since the NC came out.   This is nothing new.   It's nice that B&N is FINALLY paying attention to what is written here, but come on.   Did anyone at B&N ever TRY to use the stock gallery app?    You can't even delete the stock photos that come on the NC.   And any side loaded books with covers, guess where they get displayed?   Yeah, the Gallery App. 

"This is our son, this the last book we read, this came with the Nook, this is our daughter, this is another book I read, this came with the nook color, this is our dog, this is yet another book I read, oh you read that too?   Cool.   This is another one of those photos that come on the Nook Color.  Huh?   No, sorry, for some reason, I can't delete them.   Yeah, I know, your Galaxey Tab doesn't do that, but then, this is an E Reader after all."

And while you're at it, how about fixing the music app as well?   It would be nice to be able to make a play list or two instead of having to surf through every song one at a time to hear a selection.

Just let me close by saying it is wonderful that Ms. Samantha is taking an interest in what is written and suggested here, but surely sucks that it's just happening now. 

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob

"This is our son, this the last book we read, this came with the Nook, this is our daughter, this is another book I read, this came with the nook color, this is our dog, this is yet another book I read, oh you read that too?   Cool.   This is another one of those photos that come on the Nook Color.  Huh?   No, sorry, for some reason, I can't delete them.   Yeah, I know, your Galaxey Tab doesn't do that, but then, this is an E Reader after all."

:smileyvery-happy:

New User
genedphoto

I'd just like to add that everyone I know who owns the Nook Color (unrooted) finds the gallery practically useless in its current state.  The word has gotten around the photography community and there are many photographers who won't buy a Nook Color until this is fixed.  Once this problem is fixed (either by fixing the current gallery app or by making another functional gallery app available for purchase), I'm sure many of my colleagues will buy one...

Features needed:

Folder support

Option to sort images by either file name or date/time (if no option, sort by name)

Display image names

Display caption (from iptc metadata)

Support images stored on external memory card

SLevine
0 Kudos

Hi All--

Added your Photo App suggestion (and included feature details) to our wishlist for new Apps.  Thanks for your time in putting these details together! -Sam

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy

[ Edited ]

There are many slide show apps that generate "web" pages of thumbnails and then display the photos.  I use JALBUM.NET among others.  

create a simple slide show... save to your pc... sideload to the NC... voila... done.  Organize in a folder called PIX or whatever... you do not need to be connected to view them.  EXIF data is also viewable.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Features needed:

Option to add/remove images from gallery.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

SLevine
0 Kudos

Noted, yocalif!