Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Scariest Stephen King Book

In the spirit of Halloween, I was hoping to get some suggestions for really scary Stephen King books.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Scariest Stephen King Book

The 1st Pet Sematary

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

It has been so long since I read many of them, but I'd vote for either Desperation, or maybe The Dark Half.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I found Thinner really scary.

Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

For me it's 'IT'.  That was my first SK novel at the age of 15.  Far better book than the awful made for TV movie made it look.

A very close 2nd is The Stand (complete edition).

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Anyone read SALEM'S LOT?

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

I'd say IT, followed closely by The shinning and Salem's Lot.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

IT then The Shining.  I'm sure I've forgotten one but these are two that pop into my head right away a being scary (it's been so long since I've read a lot of his things).  Carrie was pretty good too - I think the Mother and how much of a fanatic she was was the scariest part since there are people like that actually out there...  I'm going to have to go back and read some of his older stuff again, a lot of his newer works seems to border on Sci-Fi to me.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Now that I've thought for a few minutes Christine was pretty creepy and Children of the Corn from Night Shift.  Also Misery - it's not really scary in the horror sense but in the sense that even though far-fetched something like that could happen.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 wrote:

In the spirit of Halloween, I was hoping to get some suggestions for really scary Stephen King books.

The scariest, by far : " 'Salem's Lot"  (It is also the all-time best of the vampire genre - topping even Anne Rice' Lestat series, IMO)

Second:   "It"

Third:  I'm not so sure.   Maybe "Needful Things"?  Others, like "the Stand",  "Carrie", et al, were very good but don't fit the bill of "scary" nearly as well as " 'Salem's Lot" and "It". 

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Contributor
Dea2011
0 Kudos

Pet Sematary scared me and parts of Salem's Lot.  But to me the creepiest of all was the covered bridge scene in The Stand.  Holy @#$%....loved it...:smileyhappy:

As the Crowe Flies
www.penelopecrowe.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Oh...I forgot IT...that was one of the scariest. I hate clowns.

Contributor
Nevadarn
0 Kudos

The Shining [but maybe because I was reading it at home, alone, at night [and young]].  Topiaries will never be the same.  redrum

Then It.  I agree clowns look differnt now :smileysurprised:

The Stand was epic.

And then most of his old ones - they could really grab you.   All old cars have personalities related to their grill.  Don't wish the dead to return.  Don't return from near dead.  Don't open your windows at night. Don't let yourself be kidnapped by a fan.And really a whole book with a dog, a car, a boy and a mom - and it really worked - the man could write!

His newer ones haven't really impressed me.  From a Buick 8 was ok.  The Dark Half mmm not really scary.  I did enjoy The Dome, but not scary.  I haven't read a lot of the newer ones, but may give them another try.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Not exactly the scariest, but the creepiest:  The Long Walk published as Richard Bachman.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

I don't know if I'd say scariest, but probably the darkest and bleakest story of his I've read was the first novella in his recent Full Dark, No Stars. I don't really find books scary--I'm not sure I even know what you mean when you say a book is scary. Very rarely a movie will spook me, but I just don't get that from books. Oddly enough, though, I love Lovecraftian horror like King.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Deff "The Shinning". Also, if available . . . The Amytiville Horror was pretty creepy tho not SK book. John Saul has some good ones as well.
Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

I'd say any of them. His writing style is so poor it scares me.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

NikiGunn wrote:

I'd say any of them. His writing style is so poor it scares me.

What was that one he wrote about a troll living under a bridge...

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

If you have a cold or stuffy nose, The Stand is the scariest.
Author
Zkullis
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

Anyone read SALEM'S LOT?

Yes, Salem's Lot is fantastic!  It has some nice ties to the Dark Tower series as well.

Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.