Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Zkullis
0 Kudos

Re: Scariest Stephen King Book

Great string subject!

There are a few that come to mind (most of them from King's earlier stuff).

Salem's Lot.

IT

Pet Cemetery

and finally,

Cell

I don't think Cell gets the attention that it should.  It is a good read.

Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

Cell was interesting--Childhood's End meets World War Z. I listened to it as an audio book, and I've got to say King is a lot more gruesome when someone is whispering it in your ear.

I would rank Cell alongside Insomnia and Dreamcatcher, and maybe Rose Madder, as books that I didn't dislike (I actually liked the Dreamcatcher movie more than the novel--I would call it one of the best movies made from a King book, alongside maybe The Mist and Maximum Overdrive), but had such a WTF factor that I just kind of set them down and backed away when they were done.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Zkullis wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

Anyone read SALEM'S LOT?

Yes, Salem's Lot is fantastic!  It has some nice ties to the Dark Tower series as well.

Would you recommend reading Salem's Lot before the Dark Tower series?

Inspired Contributor
jlg881
0 Kudos

The Mist was very scary for me as I had just moved to New England when it came out.  Also Pet Cemetary as my son was the same age the little boy in the book.

Contributor
Swayde
0 Kudos

"It" was the scariest for me. I never liked clowns to begin with. "The Shining" makes me never want to be  snowed in at hotel with my family.

My favorite of his is "Needful Things." It was just such a good book. I also love "The Stand." I didn't find them scary though, just really good.

I have not read "Salem's Lot" yet, but after reading these comments I'll have to bump it up higher on my list of books to read.

Author
Zkullis
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Zkullis wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

Anyone read SALEM'S LOT?

Yes, Salem's Lot is fantastic!  It has some nice ties to the Dark Tower series as well.

I would.  The Dark Tower series has connections to many of his books.  However, the connection with Salem's Lot (at least from my point of view) is more potent when you have read Salem's Lot first.  Keep in mind that this connection doesn't pop up until book 5 of the series.

Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Zkullis wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Zkullis wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

Anyone read SALEM'S LOT?

I would.  The Dark Tower series has connections to many of his books.  However, the connection with Salem's Lot (at least from my point of view) is more potent when you have read Salem's Lot first.  Keep in mind that this connection doesn't pop up until book 5 of the series.

Good to know.  I have the Dark Tower series on my to-read list so I'll make sure to read Salem's Lot first.  Maybe I'll read it this Halloween.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Definitely Salem's Lot and The Stand.  Salem's Lot gave me nightmares.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Insomnia was one of my faves. What it lacks in scare it makes up for in creep...
Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

taosaur wrote:

NikiGunn wrote:

I'd say any of them. His writing style is so poor it scares me.

What was that one he wrote about a troll living under a bridge...

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between an honest, differing and critical opinion and a troll. It's not as if I'm only allowed to comment if what I have to say is positive. I didn't lob personal insults at anyone; I simply said that I don't like this author.

I truly dislike King's writing, his style, execution, and several of his plots. He has come up with interesting ideas in a few books but they're better when someone else works on it, like the movies Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption. He and Jo Rowling both need an editor who will stand up to them, despite being high volume sellers, and really tackle their work. Rowling needed an editor like that with books 5-7 of the HP series, especially 5. She's not a great wiriter but she is an excellent storyteller, which I don't think King matches. George Lucas is another example of someone with creative ideas who desperately needs someone to edit and shape those ideas.

keriflur
0 Kudos

NikiGunn wrote:

taosaur wrote:

NikiGunn wrote:

I'd say any of them. His writing style is so poor it scares me.

What was that one he wrote about a troll living under a bridge...

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between an honest, differing and critical opinion and a troll. It's not as if I'm only allowed to comment if what I have to say is positive. I didn't lob personal insults at anyone; I simply said that I don't like this author.

I'm pretty sure you personally insulted King.  Just sayin'.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I found It to be the scariest, but I read it when I was 14.  I was terrified to walk outside near the edge of the sidewalk or cross the street for months.  Sewer gratings and man hole covers terrified me--anything that led to the sewers under the streets of Brooklyn scared the crap out of me.

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

I'm glad someone brought up "Desperation."

Of course, when I read the book, I was young and fragile (:smileywink:).

But I still remember the creepy feelings that I got while reading this book.

And yeah, "IT" should not be overlooked!

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

NikiGunn wrote:

Wow, I was only going for a block, not a reversal :smileyvery-happy:

Declaring King's "style is poor" demonstrates a poor understanding of style. His style may not appeal to you, but he is an accomplished and consistent stylist, and generally one of more literate and capable authors you'll see listed beside a single- or double-digit number in the NYTimes. 

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

The Mist  

This one did me in.:smileysurprised:

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I'm pretty sure you personally insulted King.  Just sayin'.

I'm pretty sure it was criticism, not an insult. Plus, if it were an insult, it would be a professional insult, not a personal one. Just sayin'.

taosaur wrote:

Declaring King's "style is poor" demonstrates a poor understanding of style. His style may not appeal to you, but he is an accomplished and consistent stylist, and generally one of more literate and capable authors you'll see listed beside a single- or double-digit number in the NYTimes. 

Sales, or popularity, don't equate to quality.

Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

The Shining 

Four Past Midnight  

The Shining was the first King novel I ever read and it scared me to death, but I was hooked.  Short stories can be fun and refreshing to the reading palate, but Four Past Midnight was absolutely spine chilling, especially the last story.  I don't recommend anyone reading these books without all the lights on in the house :smileywink:

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

NikiGunn wrote:

taosaur wrote:

...fair enough, and rather in keeping with my implication, in the very statement to which you're responding, that most authors on the NYTimes Bestseller's list are not that literate or capable. Apparently the capacity to repeat short quips does not equate to reading comprehension.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

taosaur wrote:

NikiGunn wrote:

taosaur wrote:

...fair enough, and rather in keeping with my implication, in the very statement to which you're responding, that most authors on the NYTimes Bestseller's list are not that literate or capable. Apparently the capacity to repeat short quips does not equate to reading comprehension.

It's all a matter of opinion and you guys can have differing opinions but is it really worth arguing about?  I absolutely love Stephen King's books but there are some that I really wish he hadn't bothered with because they just weren't my style - Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne being the two main ones that pop into my mind (I do however love the movie for Dolores Claiborne, I was just never able to make it through the book).  I wouldn't say the books were low quality, I think that the writing he did was wonderful I just personally didn't like the way they were written but would still recommend the books to someone if I thought they would like that style of writing. 

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

It's not. But the thread was Scarient Stephen King book. If you don't like Stephen King and want to say so why not just start a thread like 'overrated authors' or something. At least stay on topic.

And on that note - I've been listening to Apt Pupil on XM Radio and it's totally freaking me out some days.