Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Screen Resolution on NOOKcolor

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I have read a couple of Internet articles that claim the resolution on the NOOKcolor is greater than the resolution on an Apple iPad.  I hope I am right.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Resolution on NOOKcolor

NOOKcolor: 7" screen, 1024 x 600-pixel resolution at 169 ppi

iPad: 9.7" screen, 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 ppi

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Nallia, I read the comparisons, so, it appears to me that the NOOKcolor would have the upper advantage to the Apple iPad as far as resolution is concerned.  Correct?

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

To Nallia and CasperAZ:the resolution is great, NOOKcolor is great. Can I ask you guys what book, or books your reading? Be greatful for your Ideas!
Nallia
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

Nallia, I read the comparisons, so, it appears to me that the NOOKcolor would have the upper advantage to the Apple iPad as far as resolution is concerned.  Correct?

It can because the screen is smaller so the pixels are closer together.  However, any advantage depends on what you're looking at.

Nallia
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
To Nallia and CasperAZ:the resolution is great, NOOKcolor is great. Can I ask you guys what book, or books your reading? Be greatful for your Ideas!

What do you generally like to read?

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Nallia, as you pointed out since the screen is smaller, the pixel combination will be sharper because the pixels will be closer together.  With that technological fact, I'm satisfied. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

dvt88, the last book I read was "Dilemma" by Father Albert Cutie.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

You might be interested in these books:

Lone survivor

Into the Wild, or Into Thin Air

The Road

I just started reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which so far is pretty good, and it's only $5

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Smaller screen does not mean pixels are closer together.

Screen size is independent of resolution... for example, my cheapo NetBook (Acer) is also 1024 x 600 but the resolution is 96dpi compared with NC at 169.  The physical screen is larger than NC.

BTW the iphone 4 is 960 x 640 but a whopping 326 dpi

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

the higher dpi of the NC makes text appear sharper then on an iPad. which is one of the reasons the NC is a better reader then the iPad. (along with price, size, the fact that it's not an Apple product....but I digress....)

I'm reading the Wheel of Time series (again) In between those many books, I have "The Girl that Kicked the Hornets Nest" ready to go and also James Patterson's "The Gift" (Witch and Wizard series"

I haven't read this much in a loooong time...my poor lace knitting is suffering!

Correspondent
Traff

I'm waiting for The Girl Who Dropped Her Rooted Nook Color in the Toilet.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Traff wrote:

*snorts*  My coffee almost came out of my nose!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Traff wrote:

LMAO

Not to worry though. Theres a drying app for sure..(Rooted users only)  :smileytongue:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

cindylee60, that's good information to know that the higher dpi on the NookColor makes text appear sharper than the text displayed on an iPad.  I have read some testimonials on the Internet that will back-up what you have just said.

Contributor
tjacker31
0 Kudos

The PPI difference was the number one reason why I went with the NC over the iPad (price was number two :smileytongue:) The higher pixel density on the smaller screen really made the text look sharper when compared to the iPad - especially on websites were the text viewed is often smaller.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Traff wrote:

LMAO

Not to worry though. Theres a drying app for sure..(Rooted users only)  :smileytongue:

Yeah, but if enough folks drop their NC in the loo, maybe B&N will add it to their Nook marketplace!

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.