Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Should B&N include this built-in App?

gkaiseil wrote:

chuck4prez,

That will be Amazon's problem.

Ever wonder why the superior Sony BetaMax VCR format died and the poorer VHS format prospered?

It had a lot to do with price and availability.

-snip-

Price? for sure! Availability? not so much.  PIC: Bluray.  explanation: the format quality of a video file is only as good as the screen on which you watch it.  The average home TV was not capable of displaying a noticable difference in order to pay for the increase in quality. 

But more recently, Sony Bluray beat HDdvd in the new format war.  Why?  Because the newer Hi Def TV's CAN show the difference in quality, and let's face it, we all have an HDTV. and also Bluray disks hold like 4 times more data, or something like that.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I think this is a moot point. Amazon is never going to offer up the Kindle app to B&N and B&N would not accept it anyway.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

yocalif wrote:

Clarification, I guess I am suggesting that B&N include a built-in app to read Kindle, since there are reported to be 6 million Kindle ereaders, thus making it possible for Kindle owners to switch.

I don't know if B&N can even do this legally, but it is a topic for discussion.

I am more than familiar with the many sources of other ebooks.  read this post if you don't think I have a clue

I guess I just have to wonder, why would they? It already is possible for kindle owners to switch. They of course can choose to do what others have done when a product is defunct (not that kindle is) and find a way to convert their library to epubs.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Saying NEVER as in Amazon and B&N would NEVER consider or allow their proprietary formats to be played with a built-in app, never is a real long time and things change.

I can tell you that in the 50s,60s and 70s it was hard getting used to the idea that Japanese auto makers would dominate the US markets, and even harder to consider that in the 80s & 90s we would be buying so much if anything from China.  Things change and evolve.

The fact that pirating has leveled the playing field for MP3s, can work just the same for digital book proprietary formats.  There are over 10,000 DRM removed titles available on the internet for free, time will tell how long proprietary formats will continue to make sense business wize, right now there is no question it does.  However in the near future tablets are going to change how people view and do things possibly forcing some of the proprietary formats to cave into a universal standard. 

time will tell

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

yocalif wrote:

Saying NEVER as in Amazon and B&N would NEVER consider or allow their proprietary formats to be played with a built-in app, never is a real long time and things change.

I can tell you that in the 50s,60s and 70s it was hard getting used to the idea that Japanese auto makers would dominate the US markets, and even harder to consider that in the 80s & 90s we would be buying so much if anything from China.  Things change and evolve.

The fact that pirating has leveled the playing field for MP3s, can work just the same for digital book proprietary formats.  There are over 10,000 DRM removed titles available on the internet for free, time will tell how long proprietary formats will continue to make sense business wize, right now there is no question it does.  However in the near future tablets are going to change how people view and do things possibly forcing some of the proprietary formats to cave into a universal standard. 

time will tell

What he said. I think the universal ebook format will be decided in less than 3 years, and will come down to who wins between amazon and B&N, and apple will still be doing their own thing.
Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

It's all about costs, margins and current technology. While ereaders have existed for a while how was the quality of them? How good was the availabilty of digital media for them?

Amazon basically went the iTunes approach. Through there status a a book seller they have leverage convincing publishers to provide books in a format of there choosing. Maybe they couldn't find a device maker who will make it easy for them to load content under there terms or they just wanted to rule it all. But it resulted in them producing there own device and providing the content. I think the ticket for them was the 3g connection that meant books you bought would just appear on the device. No cables involved.

B & N probably approached it from the same way but with a twist. Instead of reading only a few proprietary formats they would read there own and open formats so you can get content from other sources making the device more useful. This makes since in order to entice people to buy another new device that can't speak to the other device out there. You get there store and everyone elses (except amazon's) too. But if you want magically appearing content without cables you have to buy from them.

And both Amazon and B & N realized you don't need to limit the experience to just there device. Since it's powered by software make that experience possible on anything that can install software and get network access.

As time progress B & N is in a better posistion to switch to full open formats than Amazon I think. But neither will be doing that for a while as long as they can get a sizable portions of the market. But I think B & N will do it first in the same manner that Amazon did to Apple buy selling digital music in an open format which I'm sure had an influence for Apple to eventually do the same.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Large publishing houses can end the format wars just as the large movie studios did with blu-ray vs HD. Simply publish ebooks in the universal approved epub / w / DRM format and no other format. This would level the playing field, make ebook purchases a no brainer, make ebook owners happy, and probably propel ebook sales thru the roof. With a univ standard many companys can sell both the ereader and ebook, ebook pricing would start to fall because Amazon & B&N are just another retailer instead of defunct 2 player proprietary power stores. As consumers we should form a org to premote single univ ebook format standard, and petition publishing house.