Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Should B&N include this built-in App?

LOCK-IN as in forcing your customers to buy your proprietary format constitutes a form of lock in?.

Kindle owners are locked in, B&N Nook or NC owners are basically locked in, forcing their owners to buy books from their respective device stores. Sure you can read free book on NC and Nooks, and convert same to read on Kindle, but most owners crave new literature and that is the purpose of this conversation.

Should B&N include a built-in app to allow the Nookcolor and Nooks to read Kindle Books? If you are a happy Kindle owner with several hundred books you have a hefty investment in Amazon, but what if you are not happy, what if B&N comes out with the Killer Ereader and you want it, do you abandon your Kindle property (leased books) and go for the new ereader? If you have a PC or Mac you have an app, so you can read either the B&N or Kindle proprietary ebook. Should B&N make it just as easy to read Kindle books on their proprietary ereaders? If you are tech savvy, you could always remove your Kindle DRM, (so far I haven't seen a reliable DRM stripping method, the free method seems to have lost its supporters and developers and is not current). I haven't really looked into a pay for converter, thus I am not sure what is available?

Bottom line is it to B&N's advantage to offer a built-in Kindle reading app on all their ereaders, what do you think?

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

Re: Should B&N include this built-in App?

[ Edited ]

I do not believe this is true.

You can buy ePub books from O'Reilly Media, download books from Project Gutenberg and side load them, down load books from OverDrive Media or other libraries media services and side load them. You can also side load most PDF files and read them on the Nook Color. And you can even create your own ePub and PDF books with GPL, General Public License, software. OpenOffice.org  is a GPL program that can create PDFs and Calibre is a GPL progam for creating ePub books.

I do not see the lock even with a stock Nook/Nook Color. That is, the Nook OS has not been replaced by the full Android OS.

Some of the lock-ins maybe the author's or publisher's choice to protect their intellectual content, copyright. And they can even specify the allowed devices and other restrictions for access.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101

yocalif wrote:

LOCK-IN as in forcing your customers to buy your proprietary format constitutes a form of lock in?.

Kindle owners are locked in, B&N Nook or NC owners are basically locked in, forcing their owners to buy books from their respective device stores. Sure you can read free book on NC and Nooks, and convert same to read on Kindle, but most owners crave new literature and that is the purpose of this conversation.

Bottom line is it to B&N's advantage to offer a built-in Kindle reading app on all their ereaders, what do you think?

NC owners are not at all "locked in and forced to buy books from B&N.  We can buy eBooks the the ePub format from Borders, Sony, Fictionwise, booksonboard and a number of other sites.  You could make the argument that Kindle owners are largely limited to purchasing from Amazon, but that is most definitely not the case for the Nook and NookColor.

I have the kindle app on my rooted Nook, but I think the chance of B&N offering it in their store is not at all likely.  The Nook app is not available in the Amazon Android app store and I am willing to be good money that it will not be available on the stock Amazon tablets when they are released.

Frequent Contributor
tonyh61
0 Kudos

you can just download books online and transfer to nook

Nook Color honeycomb 3.0/ stock 1.4.1
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

I think the only "lock-in" is that I can't take my BN eBooks and read them on a Kindle and vice-versa.  I can take them to other tablets and PCs using the Nook/Kindle reader apps though and that's why my next eReader is likely going to be a general purpose tablet.

I still believe that BN/Amazon make far more off of content than they do off selling hardware and to jeopardize that by allowing you to buy the content from the competitor's online store, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.  For that reason I don't think you'll see it happen.

Wordsmith
JinSC

It may be to their advantage to do so, but can B&N legally do it?  I thought that was the whole idea behind "proprietary."

If you will pardon an analogy, years ago I bought a Canon SLR (not a point and shoot).  I considered long and hard before doing so because it wasn't just the camera I was committing to, it was the company by way of the lenses.  You see, once you buy Canon lenses to go with your camera, your next camera will also be a Canon, hence now I have a Canon Digital SLR.

Simillarly, I considered long and hard when choosing Nook Color over Kindle, as I realized that I was committing to B&N via the books.  Kindle and Nook owners should take this into account when buying...they are not just buying a portable "electronic booksshelf."  Rather they are buying a membership into an "electronic library/book club" where they have "rights" to certain books.  The great thing about this is the B&N is electronically warehousing your "books" so that if you lose or destroy your NC, or if you buy a future version, they are not lost.  Your "right" to access them as part of the club is still good.

Proprietary limits are what companies use to help ensure customer loyalty.  I don't blame Amazon or B&N for this.  Hopefully each will offer competitive products and services so that all customers will find satisfaction. 

That being said, if i were a former Kindle owner, I would use a uSD boot, and download the Kindle app and keep on reading.

Jeremy

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

yocalif wrote:

-snip- 

If you are a happy Kindle owner with several hundred books you have a hefty investment in Amazon, but what if you are not happy, what if B&N comes out with the Killer Ereader and you want it, do you abandon your Kindle property (leased books) and go for the new ereader

If I was a happy kindle owner (which I never was, but if I was) and barnes and noble introduced a much better reading device (which they did) I would keep my kindle with all its amazon content, and add the new wonderful b&n ereader to my bookshelf.  If I wanted my amazon content to work on B&N's device, I would be asking amazon to offer their content in epub format, as other online sources do, not the other way around.  But if a kindle was still required to make use of my amazon content, I would most definately hold on to it as long as it was opperational.

In regards to your bottom line, I think it would absolutely NOT be to B&N's advantage to enclude app(s) that support kindle books. From my point of view, kindle went with their own format to ensure a dependency on their devices in the future, where as B&N banked on Epub becoming the industry standard of ebooks to ensure dependency in their device(s) relieing on the supiriority/price of their epub reading device to face the competition. I think in the long run, B&N picked the right method, not kindle.  This is of course my speculation and opinion, take it or leave it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

yocalif wrote:

Sure you can read free book on NC and Nooks, and convert same to read on Kindle, but most owners crave new literature and that is the purpose of this conversation.

Now I think you are just baiting us.  You just posted in this thread http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Nonresident-Public-Library-eBoo...

extoling the virtues of Project Gutenberg to read books published before 1923 and the use of University libraries to read about Mountain men.  So much for "craving new literature."

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

rbentley101

You might be describing the actions of a troll! And not a very well informed troll.

All;

Have you noticed that Amazon has added a number of file formats besides the MOBI, PRC, and TPZ formats. Sounds like Amazon has seen the light and needs to allow for free and non-Amazon content or face the fate of the Sony Betamax format.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

rbentley101 wrote:

yocalif wrote:

Sure you can read free book on NC and Nooks, and convert same to read on Kindle, but most owners crave new literature and that is the purpose of this conversation.

Now I think you are just baiting us.  You just posted in this thread http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Nonresident-Public-Library-eBoo...

extoling the virtues of Project Gutenberg to read books published before 1923 and the use of University libraries to read about Mountain men.  So much for "craving new literature."

I don't see it as baiting at all, my assumption is that he excludes himself from the category of what he considers most readers.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Clarification, I guess I am suggesting that B&N include a built-in app to read Kindle, since there are reported to be 6 million Kindle ereaders, thus making it possible for Kindle owners to switch.

I don't know if B&N can even do this legally, but it is a topic for discussion.

I am more than familiar with the many sources of other ebooks.  read this post if you don't think I have a clue

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

That is the EXACT post I cited...........lol.

You reference of other book sites was Project Gutenberg (Pre- 1923) and University Libraries for history journals, not exactly the "craving new literature" you cite in this post.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

gkaiseil wrote:

rbentley101

You might be describing the actions of a troll! And not a very well informed troll.

All;

Have you noticed that Amazon has added a number of file formats besides the MOBI, PRC, and TPZ formats. Sounds like Amazon has seen the light and needs to allow for free and non-Amazon content or face the fate of the Sony Betamax format.

Was epub included?  If not, I believe we are still at an impass.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This thread and this discussion is based on an article,  not trolling action to stir discontent.

Maybe I did a poor job of phrasing the question, but how you can draw your "troll accusation" based on a single post that simply asks a question to stimulate discussion, shows the rest of us how truly poor your judgement is, and now you have made it publicly known.

The article that was the impelled this thread.

The other thread post that rbently and I link to only indicates that rbently made the wrong conclusion, I clearly indicate I know where to get plenty of other reading material for the Nookcolor.  But agian I DID NOT say only Nookcolor above I said B&N ereaders which include the NC and the newer Nook, the older Nook is passe from updateding to builtin app.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

B&N has been asked if they would include a Kindle App if Amazon submitted one for inclusion in their (B&N) App store and the answer was a definate NO!.

"And shortly after the Nook Color’s release, Barnes & Noble released an SDK and launched a formal developer program. The company tells me that they’ll approve apps “that enhance the reading experience.”

“So if Amazon submitted a Kindle app,” I asked, “Would you approve it?”

(No. No, they would not.)"

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/2781636-452/nook-color-book-kindle-device.html

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And just my clarification, I never accused you of being a troll (which I think has a very negative connotation), but I did think you were baiting (i.e.., luring, enticing) us into a discussion you didn't truly believe based on your posts in other threads. 

I certainly meant no attack.  I think the smiley icons I included showed I found it humorous.  I see nothing wrong with a post which is designed to generate thoughtful discussion.  I think that is what you were doing here.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If proprietary formats such as Amazon's kindle and B&N's version of epub are good for their respective business models.  Is there any difference then between why music and videos have gone the other way and their standard is widely shared so many devices can play them?  Wasn't this true of VHS vs Beta Max and HD vs Blu-ray?  One standard one out.  It seems to me that the consumer should have a say in how some of these standards can either help or limit our choices?

The tablet revolution taking place may just force this issue?  Or maybe it would take is one pissed off congressman's wife who bought hundreds of Kindle books, and now wants the convience of reading them on her brand new Nook or even Nookcolor, so hubby starts the legislative ball rolling.  Usually it is NOT legislation that moves technology or even standards ahead, it is the industries involved making it happen.   Some one is going to break the mold, it will most likely have to be education side of things, because they will want to go digital as soon as possible.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

chuck4prez,

That will be Amazon's problem.

Ever wonder why the superior Sony BetaMax VCR format died and the poorer VHS format prospered?

It had a lot to do with price and availability.

The Kindle may have to adapt or perish.

I also have a netbook that supports the various readers for the Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and Adobe Digital Editions, so I do not have a big problem with this.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

rbentley101

All;

What is happening is we as in rbentley and myself are reading and responding on top of each other, at the same time. 

No offense taken, except the poster that decided to quickly use the word "troll" after one post.

My poorly constructed OP was more rhetorical in nature to stimulate discussion.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The "troll" quote keeps being quoted under my name.  I NEVER said it, quoted it or agreed with it.  I dont know why my name keeps being associated with that.

Actually, this is now really cracking me up.  :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I guess we can discuss whether B&N should include the Kindle App, but I think B&N has already decided on this and is not likely to reconsider.

Have you thought of asking Sam if she would pass the idea onto B&N?  She seems more than willing to do that on good ideas.