Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

Since update - battery charge

Before update, charge light turned green at about 97% and trickle charged with green light on to 100%.

After update, first charge went to 100% in just under three hours (from 20%) and light was still amber.  Disconnected charger. 

Second charge, light went green at about three hours and charge read 56%!

Did a reboot and charge read 99%.

Then today - - woke NC and charge read in upper 40s.  After about ten minutes,warning came up that battery was at 13%.  Did a couple of reboots with no change.

Charging it now to see what happens next.  Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone
0 Kudos

Re: Since update - battery charge

since the update my charger led has never gone green even at 100% and if i have wifi on i lose 2% per minute, without wifi it's about 2% in 10 minutes. 

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

Actually I thought mine charged to 99% a lot faster  since the update and discharges slower but it might just be my perception.

ukscone
0 Kudos

I have been timing it with a stopwatch just to make sure that I am right about battery drain although I don't have any timings pre-update other than anacdotal -- i was in hospital last week and the "trouble and strife" had my NC (she wouldn't leave it with me as someone might take it while i am off at a test or being operated on) and she read one  harry potter book on a single charge. since the update she can't get more than a quarter of the way through a harry potter book before needing to recharge

Frequent Contributor
JSwinden

ukscone wrote:

since the update my charger led has never gone green even at 100% and if i have wifi on i lose 2% per minute, without wifi it's about 2% in 10 minutes. 

I'm encountering the same thing. B&N development staff are amateurs...

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Mine is draining slower and charging faster. Exception: playing Angry Birds it discarges at about 3 times the normal rate even with wifi off. I think this is expected with the game or I amplaying for a lot longer then I should be. 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
gooville
0 Kudos

I bought my nookcolor two days ago and have charged it twice now-once before the crash and once after and even at 100% it has never gone green-

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

My battery went from 49% to 8% after a reboot. After charging for a few hours it only showed 67%, after disconnection it went up to 100% after a few minutes.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I have noticed the battery drain on mine has increased since the update.  This morning I had a 100% charge and I currently show 96%.  My wi-fi is off and I only used the nook for about 5 minutes so far today.  Before the update it would not have shown that much of a drain after being in sleep mode for about 5 hours.  I;m not sure if the issue is the battery meter is reading the battery charge incorrectly or if the battery is really discharging that fast.

Reader 4
toymakerms
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I joined this because I had the same issue and found a fix for it. 

I had it where my battery life after the update was really bleeding out quickly that day.  I charged it before I went to bed that night and noticed that my screen was real bright.  Turns out when I updated my nook the brightnees on the screen got turned up to the max brightness.  I keep it WAY low to save the battery.  I changed my brightness and had no issues since. 

So go to screen ----> Brightness and turn it down.  Should be all good after that.

Frequent Contributor
axios
0 Kudos

My nc is still charging the same as before, no issues. I am guessing this only effects some users.
Frequent Contributor
Catfanatic1979v1
0 Kudos

Mine will say it is depleted about a third of the way shortly after charging but after a restart it reads normally. Weird.

Inspired Correspondent
THE_Waldo
0 Kudos

Maybe it doesn't like your name. :smileywink:
Nook Color Shortcuts
(By ME!)

1. Add Caffeine
2. Add Internet
3. Stir profusely
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!!
Contributor
bolingjlj
0 Kudos

I just received the update OTA last night.  Charged my Nook Color this morning and the battery meter says it's at 100% but the light doesn't turn green.  Has anyone reported this to B&N?

Thanks.

ukscone
0 Kudos

I went to a b&n store last week and asked them about this exact thing and they'd heard nothing about that. I also was on the phone to customer support last week and they want to solve my other power and battery problems first (really hard to get the connector in and horrible battery usage) but I did get the fact that the charger led never turns green first into the record. interesting thing about the battery usage is that i did some tests and using a nookie froyo sd card and the battery life is exactly the same (slightly better actually) as preupdate, boot to 1.2 sans sd card and back to horribel battery life, with and without wifi on

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Nevermore1 wrote:

I have noticed the battery drain on mine has increased since the update.  This morning I had a 100% charge and I currently show 96%.  My wi-fi is off and I only used the nook for about 5 minutes so far today.  Before the update it would not have shown that much of a drain after being in sleep mode for about 5 hours.  I;m not sure if the issue is the battery meter is reading the battery charge incorrectly or if the battery is really discharging that fast.

I'm leaning toward this explaination.

My results have been all over the place

I get to 100% with green n one time and it drops to 80% reading a book, dim screen, WIFI off. Another time it shows 97%, green n, dischagrges slower. Another time it shows 80% when I unplug it. Read for 20mins and when I go to turn on WIFI it shows 92%??

B4 update I almost never had to charge more than once a day. Since the update  the batt level  has me charging twice a day on avg.

Wierd...:smileyindifferent:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
bolingjlj
0 Kudos

Since my post a little while ago saying my charger didn't turn green although my battery meter showed 100%, my charger did finally turn green.  Maybe I just wasn't patient enough, but the whole battery charging thing is definitely something I will keep my eye on.

Linda

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Nevermore1 wrote:

I'm leaning toward this explaination.

My results have been all over the place

I get to 100% with green n one time and it drops to 80% reading a book, dim screen, WIFI off. Another time it shows 97%, green n, dischagrges slower. Another time it shows 80% when I unplug it. Read for 20mins and when I go to turn on WIFI it shows 92%??

B4 update I almost never had to charge more than once a day. Since the update  the batt level  has me charging twice a day on avg.

Wierd...:smileyindifferent:

This is what I am finding also, basically inconsistent readings. I have never had it drop blow 80% because I keep it plugged in when not in use, but how fast it drops varies even not using WiFi and not playing games, so just reading for the most part. 

Half the time it does not charge past 99% and the other half it does.

These last few books I have read this week have been pdf files from the library and they seem to drain the battery faster than the epubs do.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmmm...

Always charge mine on the computer turned green last night so unplugged it and left it sitting there unused. Usually when I do turn it on next morning-afternoon'ish I see 96%-98%.

Turned on this morining and was reading 93% and always have the wifi off and brightness turned down with night mode. No apps except had the gmail app on home for a bit but icon way too large. Hope this isn't again another issue from a half-baked unstable firmware upgrade.

No problems tho as just biding time for Autonooter upgrade for 1.2 as just not impressed with B&N lack of bug fixes or feature upgrades like better handling of basic functions of pdf's.Instead of fixing cheap out and make the customer pay for an app to get what they should have had in the first place.

Instead of fixing and expanding features of the core e-reader. They want to Social This and Snazzy that! which has nothing to do with e-reader function.

First you make sure you have a Good tasting Cake foundation before throwing on  the frostings and sprinkles and decorations.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
jeffkww
0 Kudos

Since the update, which I did last week,

it seems like the Nook takes forever to fully charge.

and to go from 97% to 100% took well over an hr.

What's up w/ That?