Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Re: Since update - battery charge

jeffkww wrote:

Since the update, which I did last week,

it seems like the Nook takes forever to fully charge.

and to go from 97% to 100% took well over an hr.

What's up w/ That?

I don't know that it has anything to do with the update, however yesterday mine seemed stuck on 47% for hours. I unplugged it, and it immediately jumped to 100%. Seems it IS charging, and in the "correct" amount of time, it just isn't giving the proper information.

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

i too am tending to think that it's not the fact that after 1.2 the battery is draining faster, but as a result of 1.2, the battery meter is now miscalibrated.  we all accept the fact that playing games (especially with sound turned on) drains the battery faster than reading a book, but sleep mode now discharges my battery at a ridiculous rate yet when i go to recharge it, boom from 50% to full charge in 30 minutes.  so, me thinks that maybe it was really at 80%, not 50% but there's no way (as everyone is showing) to ascertain what's really going on.   but, the fact remains something is going on!  

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Contributor
fabdancr1
0 Kudos

While reading over on XDA, I came across something that indicated the phone is running in 1.2.  It "shouldn't" decrease battery life since the NC doesn't have a phone radio.  Just for kicks, I turned the phone off and my battery life seems better.  (I didn't measure it, so it's just my perception here.)

If you're rooted and feeling adventurous, hop on over to XDA and search the NC Developer forum for this.  (I think it was the ManualNooter thread.)

Wordsmith
JinSC

jeffkww wrote:

Since the update, which I did last week,

it seems like the Nook takes forever to fully charge.

and to go from 97% to 100% took well over an hr.

What's up w/ That?

Before I bought my NC, I researched the lithium polymer battery it uses, which charges differently from the older lithium ion battery.  I cannot find the site that explained the charging differences in great detail, but this explanation from the Apple Website offers some insight:

"Standard Charging

Most lithium-ion polymer batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. That’s about two hours of charge time to power an iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge it, if you are not using the iPod while charging. You can charge all lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle."

This explains the behavior you are seeing.  Lithium polymer batteries are not damaged if they are not fully charged, as are lithium ion batteries. 

New User
arch0035
0 Kudos

I am definitely having the same or a similar problem as has been descirbed here. I have NO other apps besides the 1.2 OS installed aps. I set the brightness to the low end of the slider bar. Yet the battery appears to be discharging at a significantly increased and inconsistant rate and sometmes apparenetly doing so even when the NC is in sleep mode. I have have left it with more than ample battery life, let it go into sleep mode, and then returned to it only to have to "revive" by plugging it in and allowing it to charge before it will even turn on. Something is definitely malfunctioning. HELP!!

Contributor
cdundas
0 Kudos

My battery is acting odd since the update.  It charges up to 99%, but then after I disconnect from plug, it still says "AC charging" instead of "discharging."  Even though it is discharging.  And, the little battery icon on the lower right corner flashes, like it is charging, even though it is not plugged in.  It seems the amount of time it holds a charge is the same, so it's not a big deal.  It's just odd. 

Contributor
TomNat
0 Kudos

Our NC's battery charging indicator SW or actual charging (hope not) is buggy, since 1.2. BN, please check & fix. Also our NC has no apps (yet) other than those native/loaded with 1.2. Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
EmmysDaddy
0 Kudos

My NC charges to green in the same time it did before, but the overall battery life has taken a noticable hit since the upgrade.  Its not a huge problem, I just plug it in to charge more often than before.

Matt -Nook Color Enthusiast
Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine is discharging rapidly even with wifi off.  I charged once a day before update, at least twice a day since.

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

I got the update last week, and when I charged it, it stayed around at most 90% even fully charged.  I did a full power down: "hold the power button until the Nook Colour powers off past the cancel/power off screen", "Turn it back on after a while" and that has solved that issue.  I havent' really checked the power drain on mine but I will see.  I believe most of the power drain comes from having Wifi on and using the apps and browser more.

DJ

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola
0 Kudos

Left my NC on the charger last night--in the morning, the light was green, but as soon as I pulled it off the charger, it read only 99%.  I read, no wi-fi for 20 minutes--it showed 96%. let it go to sleep (still no wi-fi on) and checked it 30 min later and it reads 94%.

I'm trying powering down now to see what it does, but that seems awfully fast to discharge.

Lineola

Inspired Contributor
jeffkww
0 Kudos

JinSC wrote:

"Standard Charging

Most lithium-ion polymer batteries use a fast charge...

This explains the behavior you are seeing.  Lithium polymer batteries are not damaged if they are not fully charged, as are lithium ion batteries. 

Thanks for an explanation on the lithium polymer batteries,

I know the nook powers up when plugged  in,

I always try to shut it down when I charge it,

don't know if this helps or not.

New User
KrisKJ
0 Kudos

I have same issue. I contacted BN customer support. I was told it is defective hardware and was offered a replacement.

cdundas wrote:

My battery is acting odd since the update.  It charges up to 99%, but then after I disconnect from plug, it still says "AC charging" instead of "discharging."  Even though it is discharging.  And, the little battery icon on the lower right corner flashes, like it is charging, even though it is not plugged in.  It seems the amount of time it holds a charge is the same, so it's not a big deal.  It's just odd.