Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

Something new that's better than Dropbox!

If you're rooted and use Dropbox, there's another BETTER alternative called Minus that I just heard about. Instead of 5GB like Dropbox, you start off with 10GB and have the ability to build that up to a whopping 50GB of free storage space. Pretty sweet! Check it out here: Minus

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Something new that's better than Dropbox!

Yes, but do the Minus staff have access to your files, like the Dropbox staff do? 

I like to include notes in my dropbox account asking for whoever's on graveyard to proofread my documents for me :smileyhappy: 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Yes, but do the Minus staff have access to your files, like the Dropbox staff do? 

I like to include notes in my dropbox account asking for whoever's on graveyard to proofread my documents for me :smileyhappy: 

Good question. I never put anything personal in my Dropbox/Minus folders anyway. Mainly just use it to transfer icons I've designed onto my NC, Gameboy/SNES ROMs, and epubs. I can see why you wouldn't want yours being seen by others though.

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Dropbox is just fine for trivial stuff.

Unfortunately, the convenience factor drives people to do Very Stupid Things.

At my work, we have federal regs covering a chunk of Thou Shalt Not. 

So when some bright-eyed staffer comes in with either a Dropbox idea or an idea for another service that claims to be HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley compliant, I dutifully write the vendor and ask them which logs, exactly, they are ready to ship to me on an hourly basis and which logs I can set up monitoring on in real time. 

They're basically never willing to do anything like that.  One vendor is willing to let you use their web interface to see when your account has been logged into by you.  Which would be utterly worthless for the kind of thing we're required to have visibility on. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.