Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

Re: System Reset

Jen_JenJL wrote:

I knew I wasn't unique in my love of my NookColor, and now at least I'm not alone in being without it.  Three points I would like to make:

1.  We had BETTER not lose all our saved information/downloads, etc.

2.  We are possibly owed some kind of compensation for this hassle.

3.  B&N has to realize that this will NEVER be an issue with a book you actually hold in your hand. 

Come on, gotta make us at least feel good about our purchase. 

I don't know about that, I have had one or two that were pretty much toast after a bathtub encounter. Dogs too no way to reset that scenario either.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
hollygolitely817
0 Kudos

That was my point.  There are things that cannot be backed up, simply put.  Yes, as others have pointed out, it is easy to sideload content back onto the NC, but what about those things that cannot be backed up to begin with?  Those things are lost now.  Yes, things happen and NC are going have to be restored.  That is understandable.  This on the other hand, was seemingly without rhyme or reason.

Contributor
nikkie80
0 Kudos

ACTUALLY ANYONE COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE UPDATE YOU COULD UPDATE IT MANUALLY  LOL BUT STILL YOUR RIGHT ITS REALLY UPSETTING

Contributor
ray5809
0 Kudos

Is there a way to stop our Nooks from calling home and making reports on us several times a day?

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

No, because there is no way to delete the "cookbook" LOL

Correspondent
Bella_Reader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My point is that you did not actually lose data. Yes, you lost hours of work that personalized your nc, which I in fact do sympathize with, however people on the boards are making the insinuation that is debacle has cost them RL $$ by deleting data that they have paid for.

It's a shame that your bookshelves were not stored on the cloud or able to be backed up, along with any wishlist stuff, and internet bookmarks. But let's face it, it isn't the end of the world, it doesn't cost you money, just your free time. I'm not downplaying the effect this will have on B&N nc marketing, it's a complete disaster, however it is not actually deleting apps and books and mags that have been paid for.

bwg wrote:

Bella_Reader wrote:

To everyone freaking out about sideloaded content being flushed:

Don't tell me you don't have backup copies on your computer. You know you do. It'll take 5 seconds (okay, maybe 2 minutes) to get that data back on your nook. If you don't, now you know why it's important to back up your data. :smileyvery-happy:

Bella 

Ouch.  As someone who had to recently (manually) reset his NookColor due to an update issue, I can sympathize with some people who are upset.  Sure, while this isn't the end of the world, it is more of an inconvenience than you make it sound...and I mean that respectfully, I don't want to sound snarky.  I had over 200 books sideloaded, from Calibre, ADE, and online cloud servers.  Yes, it takes minutes to add, but the /organization/ of it all took over 2 hours.  If you are someone like me with a bunch of folders, and some books located on multiple shelves, this isn't a quick fix.

And I was one of those people who used the WishList feature on the NookColor (which isn't sync'd), so I lost a list of over 200 books that I wanted to buy.  Again, not the end of the world, but this is why I was hoping this update would sync the online and NC WishLists.

Just my 2 cents.  Again, not being snarky.

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

cindylee60 wrote:
I also escaped. My nook color was on wifi but sleeping all day and did not reset. I turned off wifi and didn't lose anything. I am not rooted, but did sideload the update on Monday.

I also sideloaded the update on Monday.  I'd be tempted to say that doing so "saved us", but all the screaming has me thinking that this happened to individuals who had sideloaded the update as well.

We can count ourselves lucky, CindyLee.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Nothing happened to my Nook. Hmm..

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Contributor
Stargazer47
0 Kudos

No NookColor tonight?

Time for a hockey game!!  GO HABS GO!!!!

Contributor
nikkie80
0 Kudos

thats true I back up everything on my computer plus all your books are in your library online, I just really wanted my nook with me when i go to the gym tonight. boo hoo hoo :smileysad:

New User
BaseOwl

Go Bruins! 

Contributor
Stargazer47
0 Kudos

ACCK!!!   No, NOT the Bruins!!!!

:smileymad:

Contributor
rocketcat
0 Kudos

Mine just reset too! D:

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Just got back from the big city. I always make it a point to hit the B&N on the west side. I've struck up a friendship with the nook guy.

Walked in about 2 p.m. today and he made a beeline for me from the cafe side of the store. He wanted to know if I had my wi-fi on, I said no. He says, good don't turn it on because there's major problems with the main servers. Even the store demo models went down.

So I was lucky! I just left mine off and enjoyed an iced coffee while reading an ebook from my library.

We were also comparing notes on the update and both of us were having the same problems. He said that he half expects there will be some kind of a patch update in a few days. Their store has been overrun with complaints about the update.

Hope everyone is back up to speed soon.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
Emosh
0 Kudos

Just got mine up and running again,...everything is there, after toggling between screens, but some of the books have the "download now" ribbon across them, my apps are there, bookshelf gone, but I really  needed to re-organize that anyway....shewww

Contributor
BillCo
0 Kudos

Mine just re-registered.  have to redownload everything.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Emosh wrote:

Just got mine up and running again,...everything is there, after toggling between screens, but some of the books have the "download now" ribbon across them, my apps are there, bookshelf gone, but I really  needed to re-organize that anyway....shewww

Not to worry. Sometimes when you have to reset, your nook will only download about 5 books completely from the library. It will download all the covers, but they will have the green download bar across the bottom.

This doesn't hurt anything. You can either download them one by one, or just leave them that way until you get around to reading a particular book and then download it.

Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3

I'm back in and connected

New User
Emosh
0 Kudos

Thanks, that's actually a good tip, then if there areisues again, no time wasted. Minor dumb question, I will have to be connected to wifi to D/L the books correct?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Emosh wrote:

Thanks, that's actually a good tip, then if there areisues again, no time wasted. Minor dumb question, I will have to be connected to wifi to D/L the books correct?

That is correct.

New User
Emosh
0 Kudos

Thank u desert brat, i was pretty sure that was the case. I'll d/l the ones I want before heading to beach