Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

TIP--App Icons on Home Screen

I suspect everyone is already aware of this, but just in case there are a few who aren't...

It seemed to me that the app icons on the home screen were a bit on the large side... about as wide as books were.  Thus they could only be placed 4 side-by-side.  So I tried pinch-to-zoom to see if I could make them any smaller, and it worked.  I can get 5 across on the screen now, and I like not having them so large.

Of course, it works in the other direction too.  If you stretch them out, they can get really ginormous, maxing out at half a screen width.  And the detail and quality is still great.  It's slick how nicely they scale up and down.

My only disappointment is that there's no snap-to-grid on the home screen, so it's not easy to get things lined up nicely.  And don't use the "Clean up this panel" option, because it will reset everything back to default sizing, undoing all your work.

- Mark

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: TIP--App Icons on Home Screen

[ Edited ]

Mark_OB1 wrote:

My only disappointment is that there's no snap-to-grid on the home screen, so it's not easy to get things lined up nicely.  And don't use the "Clean up this panel" option, because it will reset everything back to default sizing, undoing all your work.

- Mark

If you use a separate home screen for the apps, the Clean Up This Panel works great. When the app icons are mixed in with book covers, the covers will take precedence.
When the apps have a screen of their own, the clean up and snap-to-grid will make the icons smaller and line them up with 5 icons per line.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs
0 Kudos

Double tap on an empty portion of the screen.
Contributor
Orchid9
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark for mentioning about reducing the size of app icons! Orchid9
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

You're welcome, Orchid.  And thanks, DB, those are both useful tips.

- Mark

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I was not aware of the Snap to Grid thingie....so Thx.

Inspired Correspondent
Rob_U
0 Kudos

Where is the Snap To Grid? I've searched the users guide, and can't findi it, and when i tap the screen, they just get big again.
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Try a double tap in a blank part of the screen.

Rob_U wrote:
Where is the Snap To Grid? I've searched the users guide, and can't findi it, and when i tap the screen, they just get big again.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

I like a nice clean homepage so I can enjoy my various wallpapers.

To remove apps and books from the homepage simply longtouch the app.

A window pops up. Press 'remove from home' and it's gone. Not forever, just from the home page.

The only app I can't get to remove is the email envelope.

For this I simply move it someplace unobtrusive.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Correspondent
tenagail

From what I can tell youneed a minimum of 12 apps on a panel without any books on it. Then rest your finger on an empty place on your panel and select clean up this panel. The icons will shrink and line up.
Inspired Correspondent
Rob_U
0 Kudos

tenagail wrote:
From what I can tell youneed a minimum of 12 apps on a panel without any books on it. Then rest your finger on an empty place on your panel and select clean up this panel. The icons will shrink and line up.

Thanks, I only have 8, i guess I'll have to wait until they come out with more.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

tenagail wrote:

Aha! So that's why after archiving a bunch of apps that the cleanup reverted the icons back to book cover size ... but they are nicely lined up. :smileyvery-happy:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
CCB60
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

tenagail wrote:

Aha! So that's why after archiving a bunch of apps that the cleanup reverted the icons back to book cover size ... but they are nicely lined up. :smileyvery-happy:

Ewww.  It's that kind of dynamic adjustment, that overrides user wishes, that I don't like.

Thanks, tenagail!

- Mark