Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

TXT, RTF and DOC files: Problems?

Anyone else having issues with TXT and RTF files on your NC?

I was stoked when I read in the manual that NC reads TXT, DOC and RTF files because I've got too many of each file type parked in folders waiting for me to feel like reformating them. Sadly, I have yet to find an RTF file that my NC can even recognize, and I've had only spotty success with TXT files. Most DOC files, however, look very good (unless they were shoddy to begin with).

The RTF files I've tried typically show up on the NC as file icons with red question marks on them, and saving them as a different file type in Word doesn't appear to make any difference. TXT files invariably render in a very small font size: zooming in makes the text readable, but the font remains plain and "thin." Some TXT files also render with suchs evere margins and exaggerated line spacing that every paragraph looks like an ee cummings poem. Both of these file types also seem to take a long time to "load," judging by the "working" bar that shows up at the top of the display.

One last caveat to anyone who may be as dumb as I am: whenever you open a sideloaded PDF on the NC, be sure that you've opted out of "Night" formatting. It took me way too long to figure out why I was getting nothing but a blank screen even though the page count kept increasing.

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

Re: TXT, RTF and DOC files: Problems?

[ Edited ]

I actually just converted an RTF to epub last night and it worked fine.  Formatting was good and everything.  I tried to convert a Word DOC and it didn't even show up in Calibre's little dropdown menu for input formats.  I converted the DOC to RTF and then was able to convert it.  I've also converted TXT files successfully, although I find that they have the worst results simply because the original text formatting is goofy and gives a goofy result.

Do you have images in your docs?  Perhaps your converter is having problems converting them successfully.  Also I would find/replace all fance quotation marks and apostrophes to the usual straight up and down ones.  " and '

And, yes, it took me a few seconds to figure out why some of my books were blank lol.  Some of my epubs have also done that.  They only show up on the light backgrounds like normal and butter, which is unfortunate cuz I find it's easier on my eyes to read with the darker background, but oh well. 

Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

yoshipumkin wrote:

I actually just converted an RTF to epub last night and it worked fine.  Formatting was good and everything.  I tried to convert a Word DOC and it didn't even show up in Calibre's little dropdown menu for input formats.  I converted the DOC to RTF and then was able to convert it.  I've also converted TXT files successfully, although I find that they have the worst results simply because the original text formatting is goofy and gives a goofy result.

Do you have images in your docs?  Perhaps your converter is having problems converting them successfully.  Also I would find/replace all fance quotation marks and apostrophes to the usual straight up and down ones.  " and '

You see, you're more industrious than I am.

I've been off-and-on testing RTF & TXT files on the NC without converting because the NC manual claims that the NC can read those files. It makes no claims about how pretty their gonna look; nevertheless, those file types (along with PowerPoint files... I shudder at the thought) should open and display on the NC.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone with primo techie chops knows if different encoding options would work (again, because I'm a little too lazy to keep saving and resaving the damned files when I don't really know what I'm doing in the first place). I know, for instance,  that Notepad defaults to ANSI encoding when saving files but that I have had better luck converting TXT files saved with Unicode encoding. Why, I don't know.

When it comes to RTF files, though, I'm out and out clueless.

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

If I remember correctly, all of that functionality (along with PDF) is provided through QuickOffice and the implementation on the Nook is limited.  I loaded a few MS Word Files last night and they did display, but they were pretty awful looking.  I've not tried RFT, though.  simple text would probably look just as good and the files would be smaller.  

Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

Well, according to the Quickoffice Support Center:

"Quickoffice does not support .rtf documents."

The answer is looking like No for RTFs.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
0 Kudos

Personally, I've been unhappy with the handling of all 3.  RTF, because they don't load at all (even though the User Guide claims they are supported); TXT, because they look like crap, and are almost impossible to read; and DOC because while they do render, the formatting is mostly lost.

Chiclitz commented:

> TXT files invariably render in a very small font size: zooming in makes the text readable, but the font remains plain and "thin." Some TXT files also render with such severe margins and exaggerated line spacing that every paragraph looks like an ee cummings poem. <

I agree.  All of these complaints are valid (and painful).

> Both of these file types also seem to take a long time to "load," judging by the "working" bar that shows up at the top of the display. <

I suspect that the reason for that is because Quickoffice can't really display text files.  So what it does is import them and run them through a conversion process, to turn them into bland DOC files internally, which it can then display.

The end result is about as ugly as you would expect, but it does at least let you see them.  Poor, but better than nothing.  Unfortunately, since the NC is billed as an eReader, this needs to improve a lot, because "poor, but better than nothing" will quickly leave B&N in the dust.

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Of course, Calibre can convert many of these formats to credible ePubs. I'd certainly do that before I got too frustrated. It also does batch conversion if you've got lots to do.

If you need to use something like OpenOffice to convert to a format that Calibre likes, I would suggest using HTML as the intermediate file. As I understand it, Calibre converts all files to HTML as the first conversion step, and ePub is just a short step from that point. I have had the least surprise in how things got converted when I have done this. Moreover, the HTML is easy to massage if needed and you think it worth the time.

I tend to avoid .DOC & .RTF and other MS proprietary formats like the plague, if I possibly can.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Actually, if you substitute .zip for the .epub file extension you will see that xhtml or xtml is used for many of the pages.

The structure can be seen when taking an epub into Sigil which separates the images out into folders and such.

I have had some success in converting some extremely large pdfs to word docs in order to split them up and then back into pdfs and then into epubs and using Sigil to correct errors.

I then go back and convert it one last time in Calibre again to an epub. 

I've used pdfcreator as a printer to get the pdf form and use a free pdf to doc converter I have since I usually use Office 2003 right now.

This is all very labor intensive, but the results have been great.  With Sigil, I have been able to fix Chapters which would initially only all show up as "Chapter".  I now have Chapter numbers and could go back and even include the names if I wanted.

Since Quickoffice isn't that great and time will tell if this stuff gets better, it has been worthwhile for me to convert my files.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I think there are MUCH easier ways to split apart and merge PDFs. I recommend "pdfsam".

deemure
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

I think there are MUCH easier ways to split apart and merge PDFs. I recommend "pdfsam".

I can try that.  I actually didn't want to merge them after splitting them up in Word.  I just wanted to get them back into PDF form to convert to epub in Calibre.  I knew I didn't have the proper tools to do all this with, but the end result was great.  This was a very old pdf that had 10 ebooks in one file.  I wanted to separate them into individual books.  I will look into pdfsam to see what it is.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

Well, unfortunately McAfee does not like that PDFSam.  It may be an overzealous McAfee or it may contain viruses.  I've had some real issues with computer viruses (previous PC), and I'm not taking chances.  I tried 2 different sites to download it from.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Check out http://www.pdfsam.org/ he talks about there being a virus false positive with McAfee. It's open source, it's hard to get a virus in there. McAfee identifies viruses by a signature, a string of bytes in the virus. That means there is a finite possibility of something else matching that string.

deemure
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

Check out http://www.pdfsam.org/ he talks about there being a virus false positive with McAfee. It's open source, it's hard to get a virus in there. McAfee identifies viruses by a signature, a string of bytes in the virus. That means there is a finite possibility of something else matching that string.

I will.  This was my feeling that McAfee was being too sensitive.  I've had it happen before as well, it kept telling me all kinds of programs were trojans.  I hate this stuff.