New User
spgerber

Tech Support Nightmare

Summary:  Total Days:   3

Total Hours:  9.5+ over 3 days

Frustration:   MAX

Chronolog:

Jan 23 Subscribe to Readers Digest.  Receive February issue on Nook Color immediately.

Feb 7 Receive email saying there is a problem with billing.  I call 800-843-2665 to resolve.  They say it’s fixed.  They won’t tell me what was wrong.

Feb 15 inexplicably get email saying Readers Digest has been cancelled.  Refund was issued.

Feb 16 Find new March edition of Readers Digest in my Nook Color Libaray.  Click on it and makes me subscribe again.  I click ok.  Download does not begin.  Won’t download.  When click to download, a dialogue box comes up which says the subscription prices and delivery schedule with a greyed-out “subscribed” (top right) button which doesn’t click.  Three tabs saying “overview”, “editorial reviews” and “more like this” are below.  This is the same dialogue box that pops up when you are shopping for an item and click on it except that instead of “purchase” and “subscribe” buttons in the top right, it has a shaded out "subscribed" button.  What's supposed to happen when you click on the magazine icon is that it's supposed to begin downloading and show a download progress bar below the magazine cover icon in your library.  Mine doesn't do that for the March Readers Digest

Feb 17 Called BN Tech Support 800-843-2665 (by the way, this reaches Manila in the Phillipines).  Was on the phone for 112 minutes.  We Deregistered my nook, archived and unarchived the March issue of Readers Digest.  Refreshed my library.  Checked my account via my laptop and found 2 copies of the March Readers Digest in my library.  Call was inexplicably dropped.  Issue unresolved.  Every 5 minutes was put on hold for 5 minutes.

Feb 17 Called back tech support talked to “Michael” employee id: 19800 for 26 minutes and hung up when he put me on hold for more than 10 minutes.  Was put on hold numerous times.

Feb 17 Called back and got “Allan” employee id: 2069007.  Asked to speak with supervisor.  Was sent to “Zosi”  for 51 minutes.  Unsuccessful attempting to do a hard reset.  Tried to cancel and resubscribe. End result: they vowed to send me a replacement.

Feb 18 Skeptical that a replacement would work, I took my Nook to the Barnes & Noble store in Fort Wayne, IN and gave it to Casey.  Casey couldn’t fix it. So Casey called tech support and was on phone with them for over an hour as I waited.  Was told it would be fixed within a couple hours.  I took it home that night, tried it the next morning, and it was still not downloading the March issue of Readers Digest. 

Feb 19 Called Barnes & Noble and spoke with Chrissy.  Later took my Nook into her.  Waited for over 2 hours while she talked with (was on hold with) tech support.   I eventually got on Barnes & Noble’s phone and spoke with tech support myself.  They told me the issue was being escalated and I should just wait a few days.  I said ok, but I wanted the guys name and employee id to document the conversation.  He refused.  I explained that I wanted that for documentation since I didn’t feel like B&N tech support was documenting my various calls.  He assured me that all my calls were documented.  I asked what his system showed for calls I made.  The system completely missed the last 2 days and 5+ hours of tech support calls!!    I demanded a supervisor and was put on hold.  After waiting on hold for over 20 minutes, I gave the phone to Chrissy  and left fuming mad.  30 minutes later, I returned.  The B&N store manager Bill gave me a note and said to call tech support and ask for David employee id 28150 who is the evening supervisor.

Feb 19 Called tech support, was on hold 20 minutes waiting to be forwarded to David.  Finally someone answered who was not David and asked what I wanted.  In less than a minute, I was disconnected.

Feb 19 Called tech support back, was on hold again for 20 minutes waiting to be connected to David.  Was disconnected as before.  Went to try and get the staff at B&N involved and invested in my difficulties getting through to the person they told me to call back.  Was told I am bothering customers, there was nothing more they could do, and that I needed to deal with tech support via telephone on my own.  I am very disappointed with the in-store support on this issue.

Feb 19 Left B&N store.  Called tech support a 3rd time for 74 minutes and after explaining my issue all over again was told I’d simply have to wait until the item was available for download.  I explained I couldn’t download it because of a computer / billing glitch (March Readers Digest).  The B&N store could download it on their display units and a tech support person could.  She said that was all she could do.  I ended call.

Feb 19 Called tech support again and got “Marie” employee id: 2072499.  On phone for 90 minutes.  I had to re-explain everything all over like all my calls because B&N Nook tech support doesn’t seem to have a very good system for documenting customer contact.  In order for them to get a somewhat complete picture, it seems I  had to provide all the order numbers which included 4 order#s for me (3 cancellations) and 1 return order number and 1 RA# as well as my nook’s serial number, my email number, and my billing address and the last 4 digits of your credit card #.   Even then, Marie was unable to find any record of my 51 minute conversation with a supervisor named Zosi on 2/17 around 8pm nor did she find any record of B&N’s agreement to send me a replacement Nook which won’t fix the problem because I logged into a deregistered demonstration model at B&N with my account and had the same problem.

This has been terrible customer service both at the store level and at the other end of tech support on the phone.  What was so frustrating is that there never seemed to be any continuity between different people at B&N I contacted.  I always had to describe the problem all over again whoever I interfaced with and they would always annoy me with the same suggestions and procedures I had already tried. 

I otherwise love the Nook Color product and it's potential and have been very happy with it.  Many of their problems with customer service could be fixed if they would have a better system for documenting and capturing customer complaints under one customer account number.  Of course it would also help if the phone support team resided in America.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

Re: Tech Support Nightmare

I gotta tell ya, mags are always a nightmare to deal with. If they can't get them right, then they should not offer them.

I'm still waiting for 2 mags to be deleted from my NC due to no covers. CS said they would handle my refund....yeah right.

BTW...I've called the Phillipines more than once myself.

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

I can't believe that an organization delivering customer support from a 3rd world country isn't tracking these issues in some sort of database.  It's how those companies overseas typically get paid.

The next time you call them (if there is a next time), ask for the service request case number and demand that it remain active until at least 24 hours after the amount of time they say that your problem should be resolved.  That will give you a chance to call back if the issue hasn't been resolved and not have to go through the same song and dance as if they've never heard of your problem.

Your story has made me think twice about ordering any sort of periodicals for my NC.  This sort of nightmare should never happen, especially with a consumer device.

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

doncr wrote:

Your story has made me think twice about ordering any sort of periodicals for my NC.

I do feel bad that the OP had problems but you can't base your judgement on just one example. If the majority of people with magazine subscription start complaining of problems, then I'd be cautious. However, if you want another example, I subscribe to National Geographic and haven't had a single problem, except finding time to finish reading the issue before the next month's arrives.

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

NikiGunn wrote:
I do feel bad that the OP had problems but you can't base your judgement on just one example. If the majority of people with magazine subscription start complaining of problems, then I'd be cautious. However, if you want another example, I subscribe to National Geographic and haven't had a single problem, except finding time to finish reading the issue before the next month's arrives.

Point taken.  I just hope that I never have to suffer through the same sort of problems that the OP did with Customer Service.  If it takes not buying subscription-based content from BN to limit my exposure to that level of frustration, that's what I'll do for the time being, but you're right in that it is worth watching to see if others have this sort of problem.  

To tell you the truth, my reluctance to subscribe to periodicals also stems from the fact there aren't any magazines currently in the news stand that I find worth the price of the subscription, and the newspapers that I've tried are formatted poorly and too expensive.  Now if something like "The Daily" were available for the NC I'd be all over that.

Contributor
doodad
0 Kudos

Wow, the original poster sure has a lot of patience. I never would have tolerated that. Time to return the product. Lucky my color nook has worked well so far. I subscribe to some 8 periodicals and so far so good. I totally agree about the newspapers however. The formatting is lame. If they would format them like the magazines I would certainly subscribe to two of them.
Distinguished Correspondent
gnkc
0 Kudos

NikiGunn wrote:

doncr wrote:

Your story has made me think twice about ordering any sort of periodicals for my NC.

I took the OP post as much about the poor customer service as getting a  magazine subscription straightened out. And from what I've seen on both this and the Nook Classic boards customer service problems are not just this one example.

Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:

NikiGunn wrote:

doncr wrote:

I took the OP post as much about the poor customer service as getting a  magazine subscription straightened out. And from what I've seen on both this and the Nook Classic boards customer service problems are not just this one example.

True that. :smileyhappy:

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

I'm going to have to partially validate this complaint.

It's never taken me that long to get to customer support, and they usually are competent and helpful and pretty quick.

However, I've had a recent "issue" that has resulted in about 6 calls with NO resolution.  

Back on January 14th, I purchased a "free" eBook.   Now, yes, when you purchase a free eBook, B&N charges your credit card $0.01 and then issues a credit for $0.01.    I *presume* that is to validate your CC.   I'm ok with that process.    On the 14th, the B&N computer system was not working correctly.   Several Tech Support people have told me they had issues and my own billing for eBooks from B&N have been horribly slow in showing up on my debit card.   As in 3 or 4 weeks after the purchase they show up, whereas before Christmas....they showed up almost immediately (and posted in a day or two).

But back to the story.....the B&N computer, on the "free" eBook reported my CC was denied.   I did check with my bank....the card was never presented to them on that occasion.   Purchases both before and after the 14th were presented, and honored.

Ok, computer glitches happen.    I work in the industry...no biggie, it happens.

So, I call customer service on the 15th when I can't download the book (cuz payment was denied according to computer system).   They say the "order" has to be deleted and they can't do that yet, that it takes a few days for the order to show up in their system where they can cancel it.   Once cancelled, I can simply re-order it.   They told me, without prompting, that they had computer problmes on the 14th.  They say, I need to wait 3 or 4 days and then call back.

Ok...I can deal with that.    I waited a week.    Called back, book still shows in my online library but it's not accessible....shows note, payment denied.    Customer Service rep pretty much repeats the same story as above.   B&N had computer problems, they still are having problems and to wait another week.

Ok...again, I can deal with it.

Except I've been calling weekly now for 6 WEEKS!

The last few times, the CS rep says they have escalated this to their internal tech dept and it WILL be fixed in a day or two.   

Obviously not.  Book still there, called CS today, get same story....order is not in their system yet (the CS system...they can see the order, but can't make changes to it yet).  

So I ask the question...if this were a real case of a CC being denied, could you not put in a different CC and "pay" (for the FREE) eBook that way and clear it up?   CS talks to her supervisor...says....sure, that should do it.

I give her the original debit card #, she tries it, gets an error.    Order can't be "fixed." and she talks to her supervisor again.   Supervisor says try another credit card.   Ok, I give her another credit card number for a "one time" purchase.    Order errors out again.    Not denied or anything, she gets some error on her screen...the system won't take any kind of payment for the "free" eBook.

And yea...she once again, promissed she'd personally take charge of this and push it to internal tech support.

After at least 6 calls, and at least 6 times being told, it'll be fixed in a few days.    I've got to admit, there is a serious problem in B&N's tech support system.

The CS reps have always been polite and done what they've been trained to do.   Yes, I've been put on hold for "a few minutes" but they've come back online in a few minutes.  They more than likely have passed on this issue to internal tech support, but then it seems to go into a black hole.   I find it incredible (and again...i work in the computer industry as a database administrator and system administrator!) that no one can track down this order, and "fix" or remove it.

I am not alone in this, read the boards here....lots of people with similar issues with purchases made late December onward.

The B&N software folks need to take this problem as a high priority issue!   They need to fix whatever is broken in the order system.   They must have a way to back out 'bad orders' no matter how the order came up as 'bad.'

For a "free" eBook to not be able to added, deleted, downloaded or anything because of "non-payment' is absurd.

Come on B&N...fix your computer problems as a HIGH priority task.   The poor reputation you're getting for "stupid" issues like this is not good for you.

And that's my two cents (plus a buck nine ninety-five :smileywink: )

---------
Don
New User
abovetheodds
0 Kudos

There is always two sides to every story. I don't think one persons issues should reflect everyone one working for B&N. I have had to call tech support and they were very nice and helped me out a lot. Same thing at my B&N in Evansville, IN. They have no issue with answer my questions or helping me with an issue.

I quess since I work for a company that has to deal with customer issues and I have to call our version of tech support to help our customer that I am more relaxed in knowing sometimes they have done all they could do to help you and you should just wait for your replacement. Because to me this post seems a little over the top.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

I had almost the same exact thing happen to me and I called 3-4 times about all of my magazine subscriptions canceling on me only to be put on hold, be given the run-around, be promised a return call from someone in middle management (never got the call either of course) and finally I got a real answer by posting about my problem on their Facebook page, lol!  It turns out it was kinda my fault apparently, because I ordered the free trials when I had no money in my debit account and B&N is lovely enough to do a check as soon as you place an order.  There is some fine print noting this hidden among their information somewhere, although, I never saw it until long after my debacle.  Anyway, I lost 7 days of my 14 day free trials for all of the magazines I signed up for and nothing was ever done to compensate me or rectify the situation on the part of B&N.  I renewed two of my magazine subscriptions after all this, because I really wanted at least those two, but I was mad and frustrated, so I didn't renew the rest (I was planning on having 5 or 6, I forget) and both magazines had problems.  I didn't receive new issues for days past the date I should've and even the online overview showed the new editions for the extra days, but it wouldn't download to my NC... so, I canceled them both. 

I am sad, because I loved the look of magazines on the NC, I loved being able to zoom in and get a better view of the photographs than I could with a paper magazine and I love magazines in addition to regular books.  I currently have no subscriptions and I am waiting a long time for B&N to get their act together regarding the magazine issues and, even more importantly, regarding their customer service issues before subscribing again.

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

I am often guilty of writing long tiresome posts.  But I refuse to read a 5000 word rant of someone complaining about customer service, after the first 4 paragraphs I'm done.

Like the poster above me I think there was money issues that caused the problem and someone isn't facing that issue.  I have done several free trials on magazines, and forgot to cancel one so ended up paying for a month, that happened to be Reader's Digest.  I'm sure others have had problems because I read this forum daily and there have been several reports of issues with Magazines and News Papers.  I have also read of customer service complaints, but haven't experience the problem myself, in fact my experience has been just the opposite.  BTW not all customer service calls go offshore.  I have talked with the customer service on the East Coast, and that customer service person sounded more like a Filipino but was here in good ol USA.  On two other occassions I did get a Filipino off shore cust. serv. rep.

Frankly if your so pissed off then send the Nookcolor back and go buy a Kindle.  I have stated before I replaced all our kitchen appliances (dishwasher, stove, microwave, fridge) last Sept.  All worked great except the dishwaher,  I had to send it back 2 times, and depend on customer service to make everything right.  Everyone gets their turn in the barrel, they are going to eventually get a bad product, try to handle it with some diginity and grace.  I am no saint I have lost it too but have learned a little honey gets me more than vinegar.  BTW the 3rd dishwater is awesome, I stuck with same brand/model and retailer because there was like 50 5 star reviews out of 70, and most the other reviews were a 4.  The owners were right about that dishwasher and we are very happy with it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Cust service is hit or miss. If you get someone on the line that WANTS to help you will get a resolution. Trbl is, not many CS workers care about your issue. They ae in it to collect a paycheck. Upper management does not pay much attention to CS because it does not generate revenue. Most execs are looking to shore up their bank acct. The future of the company is of little concern beyond what they can get out of it. Kinda like the wall street crooks that put us in the hole :smileysad: The best you can do is keep on them to resolve your prob or tell em to stick it and take a chance on another probuct. FWIW, I have had no issue with my Nookcolor that I could not resolve myself (these boards were a big help) Toall those having issue I would say, keep trying if you feel your product is worth it. Otherwise, move on to something else. The CS in the world we live in is prob not going to get better anytime soon. As always. JMHO :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
BayLido
0 Kudos

I have mixed reviews of the customer service from the 800 number.  My first time calling, just after Christmas was a long wait, and that issue was never resolved but it was quite pleasant.  It has to do with the account set up.  Apparently, a long time ago I made an online purchase on my mother's behalf using my e-mail address.  This makes my mom's name show up as the owner of my NC.  The CS rep led me through changing the set up info then deregistering and reregistering but it didn't update to my name.  That was blamed on the busy server post-Christmas busy server and I was told that it would eventually update in a few days.  It never updated.

My other experience with CS has to do with screen flicker.  I had exchanged a couple of NCs in-store for flickering screens and at one point they were out of stock, so I decided to call CS.  There was no issue getting an exchange but when it arrived the flicker was much worse than the one I had.  I called back to ask if I could return the new one and keep the better one until another replacement arrived.  I was told no, I had to return the first defective one, but that she could send out another replacement.  I wasn't happy about that, but decided I'd take my chances, and told her to go ahead and do the replacement.  She then told me my NC was out of warranty since I had owned it since January 2010 and they couldn't do a replacement.  Obviously that was wrong, NCs haven't been out that long!  After being put on hold for a long time, I was then told it was a computer glitch and to call back in two to three days and it would be resolved. 

When I called back, the guy I spoke to said that after having so many units with the same problem, the problem was me, not the NC.  He told me that it was supposed to flicker when changing screens.  When I explained that although it does flicker there, I can see the flicker on all darker colored backgrounds, like the brown and green banners at the top of the B&N website, on the home page, children's books, etc.  I also mentioned that all the units I've had have had different degrees of flicker, some were really bad, and others were better but it was there.  He said I shouldn't see flicker in those spots, so he sent me another one.  He did let me return the worse one, and keep the better one.   The 2nd online replacement was, unfortunately, about the same as the one I had.  

I decided to keep the one I have and to be fair, maybe the problem is me.  I think I could have more sensitivity to the flicker than someone else.  I do feel a little jealous of those who have said they don't have any flicker and that is what has kept me trying to get one that doesn't.  I love the functionality of the NC and haven't had any problems that weren't user error. 

My in-store customer service has been exceptional - to the point I wrote a complimentary letter to B&N about it.  Although the 800 number CS has mostly gone my way, I haven't had a really warm fuzzy feeling about it.  In my situations, I've been put on hold after every question, as if someone else needs to be consulted or a manual needs to be read.  I'm not sure I think anyone ought to tell a customer that they are the "problem" even if it's true.  There are more tactful ways to go about that.  It is making me reluctant to call back and say the latest NC isn't any better, so I'll just stick with the one I had.  I'm holding on to it for the full two weeks to make certain there isn't a difference.

New User
leannb
0 Kudos

What I find really disturbing is BN Managers aren't even managing these threads or show no interest in tying to resolve these issues people like you are expressing. As this type of experience spreads their sales will reflect this and they will be left wondering why. They need a global quality manager who will implement solutions towards minimizing and removing these types of customer experiences. This experience is the same as I had calling Comcast numerous times as their service desk is in Manila to I believe.

Inspired Correspondent
Jinnah
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nevermind

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Well....my "denied" payment for a free ebook finally got fixed!

Yea....yippie.

And it turns out, the book, supposedly an Atlas of the world, was very poorly done, and in arabic.   So I ended up deleting it....but alls well that ends well.   The issue was finally resolved.

---------
Don
Contributor
samCsc
0 Kudos

My story is like this.

I tried to update the software to 1.1 after I got the nookColor. I downloaded the zip file at B&N support site and followed the instructions to do the update. It failed. I downloaded the file three time and did the update process 7,8 times. They all failed.

I wrote to tech support and described what I did and what happened in detail. Three days later, I got an email from support containg a link to B&N support (same as the one I downloaded the software from), advising me to follow the instructions to do the update.

I don;t think the support read what I wrote at all. Some tech support B&N provides.

New User
mrhonest54
0 Kudos

I don't know how many of the people on the thread with positive CS experiences are actually B&N employees but the quality of CS is not that good - there are just too many valid complaints

Maybe look to send letters/Emails to the primary Management Team about the issues you have:

Leonard Riggio

Stephen Riggio

William J. Lynch Jr.

Mitchell Klipper

as they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned sending the Nook back - well I would send my NookColor back if I could but after 14days your stuck with it.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

mrhonest54 wrote:

I don't know how many of the people on the thread with positive CS experiences are actually B&N employees but the quality of CS is not that good - there are just too many valid complaints

So I'm a shill because B&N has a very uneven customer support department?  Nice.  

Maybe your attitude (assuming you think like this all the time) is why I got good, bordering on great, customer service and you're unsatisfied.  :smileywink: