Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Text Highlighting Tip

[ Edited ]

If you're like me, and use a small font size, when you tap on a word to highlight it for a lookup, or create an anchor point to then drag to highlight a section for adding a note, frequently the NC won't select the word you tried to hit.  For me, it always seems to be just a bit too low.

One way of dealing with this is to increase the font size, but then that increases page-turning.  So the alternative I discovered is that when pressing on a word, don't take your finger off immediately.  Wait for the word popup to appear, and if it's NOT the one you wanted, just rock your finger a bit at an angle, until you see the word you originally wanted.  THEN lift.

I.e., as long as you keep your finger down, the NC will dynamically track it and adjust the selection point as it shifts.  Once you see the desired word appear, then you can lift, and either lookup the word, or extend the selection, as needed.  This has been very helpful for me, and has made lookups and notations while reading books a lot less aggravating.

Hopefully, this isn't something that everyone else already knew about, and has been using for  the last 3 months.  :smileywink:

- Mark

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

Re: Text Highlighting Tip

You say you can extend the (word) selection as needed. For me, yes it can select more than one word, but it can't deal with a multi-word lookup, for example, highlighting

Washington Irving

and going for a google lookup, you'll end up googling Washington if you started your highlight selection from the left, or Irving if you started from the right.

That's pretty disappointing.

Any ideas?

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Correspondent
AnnaKuz

Check page 34-35 in the user guide! It has a great explanation of how to highlite a section. However - the lookup will only take the first word of the highlighted section. If you need defintion of more than one word you would have to go to the web and google it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis

AnnaKuz wrote:

Check page 34-35 in the user guide! It has a great explanation of how to highlite a section. However - the lookup will only take the first word of the highlighted section. If you need defintion of more than one word you would have to go to the web and google it.

That's what I thought. It really is a crippled feature. I also found that if you have a dash in the word, like B-52 or F-15 as in military aircraft, you're screwed, it treats that as 2 independent words. One of the reasons I got the NC was I was looking forward to jumping into a google search selection or wiki article while reading, and now, with the awkard keyboard and web browser, it's not so convenient. :smileysad:

Whoever designed this didn't give it a lot of thought. I don't think what I'm asking is unreasonable.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

[ Edited ]

In order to select multiple words you need to highlight one word and lift your finger, then go back and touch the edge you wish to extend and slide.  Then lift your finger once more when you have the entire selection highlighted. 

I do this frequently to share my favorite parts with my Facebook friends, so I know it's a little wonky, but practice makes perfect with this feature and I don't have much trouble at all anymore.  :smileyhappy:

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

SandraPants wrote:

In order to select multiple words you need to highlight one word and lift your finger, then go back and touch the edge you wish to extend and slide.  Then lift your finger once more when you have the entire selection highlighted. 

I do this frequently to share my favorite parts with my Facebook friends, so I know it's a little wonky, but practice makes perfect with this feature and I don't have much trouble at all anymore.  :smileyhappy:

Not having trouble selecting multiple words. The problem is you can't take more than 1 word to a wikipedia or google lookup.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Oh, I misread the problem then.  *blush*  Just ignore my post then haha.

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

SandraPants wrote:

Oh, I misread the problem then.  *blush*  Just ignore my post then haha.

No problem, I know you're trying to help! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Burke_Read_Terp
0 Kudos

How do you select the passage if it runs onto the next page?

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Burke_Read_Terp wrote:

How do you select the passage if it runs onto the next page?

As I answered in your other cornucopia of questions :smileywink:, you can't select a text segment while it's spanning 2 pages.  The only possibility is to juggle the text size until you get the passage you want all on a single page.

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
Mela08
0 Kudos

Is there a way to change my default highlight color to yellow?  It's currenly green, and I always have to use the "change color" feature each time I highlight.

Contributor
Burke_Read_Terp
0 Kudos

Thank you, I have it now. I overlooked the first response. Forgive me. I appreciate your time and knowledge.