Contributor
brandenburg5
0 Kudos

The New Yorker supported on NC but doesn't work

The page for The New Yorker now says it is available for the NOOKcolor, but when I requested the free trial, I got an error about file type incompatible. Is it available on the NC or not?

--Larry

Inspired Contributor
j_collins
0 Kudos

Re: The New Yorker supported on NC but doesn't work

I am having the exact same problem. If it isn't downloading by tonight I will be canceling for the second time. I'm hoping it is a minor issue that can be solved since this is one of the few magazines I am actually interested in buying.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

This New Yorker magazine has been driving me crazy for a couple of months now. I have a nook classic and enjoyed reading The New Yorker for tha past year. When I got my nookcolor, I tried to download the magazine, of course, it didn't work. I have tried to cancel on my magazine management page on my account, and it won't let me.
Inspired Contributor
j_collins
0 Kudos

I have just spoken to customer service about this issue. She said it will be another 7-10 days before the issue is resolved, and that she would cancel my subscription. I will try again in a couple of weeks; however, I would have thought everything would have been in place before it was offered for the NOOKcolor.

I suggested they change the website to reflect this status.

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

The New Yorker would be a guaranteed subscription for me if it worked and I could buy it through the B&N Nook Magazines store. I bought an issue of the Atlantic Monthly the other day, and I might subscribe to that, but its the New Yorker I really want. 

Inspired Correspondent
RLS_Portland
0 Kudos

j_collins wrote:

I suggested they change the website to reflect this status.

The New Yorker is still showing the NC as an option. I feel like Charlie Brown and the football: I've subscribed and unsubscribed three times now!!  :sigh:  

OTOH, I did get my refund for the subscription in 24 hrs, without needing to call cust. service. C'mon, B&N!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I've given up on mags. Everyone has been a struggle to view. They really need to get their act together.

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

I've given up on mags. Everyone has been a struggle to view. They really need to get their act together.

I'm curious what kind of problems you have had, and with which magazines. 

I subscribe to the Atlantic and Spin on my NookColor, to the New Yorker on my classic Nook (and hopefully the NC soon), and the NYT Book Review on both. 

I generally prefer reading the magazine articles using the Article View function on the NC, as it has better navigation than the classic Nook.  While I sometimes skim through the page view to see the layout or look at the ads, I don't try to read the articles in that format, as the text is too small (and I have to slide the page around if I zoom to enlarge the text). 

Article View is not perfect, and I wish it would take advantage of the wasted space on either side of the pop-up window.  But overall, I find it pretty much as easy to read as an ebook.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

If you like to cook (or eat) try Food and Wine. Great recipes. Easy to read, pinch and zoom. Go to article view to follow recipes while you cook.
Inspired Correspondent
RLS_Portland
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

I agree with you on some titles (Natl Geographic and Saveur come to mind) but agree with the other commenters that Article View works okay for the Atlantic and other text heavy magazines. Newspapers are a complete bust.

Contributor
doodad
0 Kudos

Yes, the existing newspaper format is lame. I really like the magazine format however. The mag interface is touchy, but if you get used to it, its pretty reasonable. I hope they change the newspaper format soon and I wouldn't mind a tune up of the mag interface.
Frequent Contributor
lizPA
0 Kudos

Same here!  When I first got my NC the website had New Yorker available for NC and Nook and then it changed.  I posted feedback about that and got flagged for being "off topic". Yesterday it said that it was available for Nook and NC so I resubscribed and it didn't work.  I do not like this runaround and I better not be charged again for resubscribing since the error isn't on my end, it's on BN's.