Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

The completely off topic thread

[ Edited ]
Nallia
0 Kudos

Icebreaker

All major school districts are closed, and we haven't gotten much snow!  The news is telling everyone to stay in if they can and not go out without covering our entire faces, that we can get frostbite in under 10 minutes.  I'm supposed to take my son on a school trip tomorrow.

Yeah, I don't think so.  :smileysurprised:

How's your day looking?  Getting snowed in again?

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Re: The completely off topic thread

@Nallia: I can't belive you just said That! These boards are crazy out of Control! I llove it, and my nookcolor Too!
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Looking at possibly 2 feet of snow here overnight and tomorrow.  That and blizzard conditions.  I'm trying to think warm thoughts right now, but I live in the country (why, I don't know), and it's a sea of white.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Nallia
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

Looking at possibly 2 feet of snow here overnight and tomorrow.  That and blizzard conditions.  I'm trying to think warm thoughts right now, but I live in the country (why, I don't know), and it's a sea of white.

Boo for all that snow!  Though I would honestly prefer that and 20-30 degree temperatures.  We were supposed to get almost a foot yesterday but it was too cold for it to all come down.  I felt so bad for my husband this morning when he had to go out and shovel the sidewalk and driveway!

I need more coffee.  I can never get enough.  lol

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

Sending "warm thoughts" your way.  I feel for you guys.  I live in Georgia and we don't do snow and ice well.  Atlanta was shut down for an entire week a few weeks ago with just a few inches of snow/ice.  Two feet would destroy us. Stay warm!

Wordsmith
alliecatTX
0 Kudos

We thin-blooded Texas wimps will be hunkered downinside for a few days of sub-freezing temps! I have no idea what I'd do if we got 2 feet of snow. I'm sure I'd finish a lot of books!
deemure
0 Kudos

Now they are also looking at another strong storm after this one the first of next week.  Yuck!

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Nallia
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
@Nallia: I can't belive you just said That! These boards are crazy out of Control! I llove it, and my nookcolor Too!

LOL  Met too!  :smileyhappy:

Nallia

I don't even want to think about next week yet.  I'm just trying to get through the next couple of days without dealing with asthma attacks (me and my son) or bursting any pipes.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep

My pekingese, Dennis, likes to sing to his breakfast, head-butt the bowl, and then lick all around the edge before eating. He also barks when a phone rings on TV, and sleeps in the linen closet. The little guy has issues.

How's THAT for off-topic? :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

We didn't get the snow, we got just under an inch of ice. I live in central IN. Everything is pretty much shut down, but walmart is Open!
Nallia
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I'd rather be doing nothing than to do something.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

24 hour blizzard heading here starting at 3. And my job is still trying to decide if we should have a snow day tomorrow or not. I'm guessing we won't. Despite the 15-24" snow predictions and dire warnings to not go out once it starts unless it's an emergency. Also never mind the 3-6" that fell last night and never quite stopped.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88

Nallia: out of Bacon? Walmart super center is Open!
Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So it is!  I just can't stand the thought of going outside right now.  It's now -11 out.  I guess I should be happy that it's 2 degrees warmer than it was 3 hours ago.  LOL

You just reminded me that I needed to go start my car to make sure the battery didn't die overnight, so laurels for you!  Good thing, too, because it almost didn't start (it's only 2 1/2 years old).  Thank goodness for remote starters!

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I saw on the news this morning that in preparation for the blizzard, our local pizza place has stocked up on extra pizza-fixins and large SUV's with all-wheel-drive! 

Sounds like somebody needs to order a large pizza with double bacon!

Nallia
0 Kudos

deemure
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

My pekingese, Dennis, likes to sing to his breakfast, head-butt the bowl, and then lick all around the edge before eating. He also barks when a phone rings on TV, and sleeps in the linen closet. The little guy has issues.

How's THAT for off-topic? :smileytongue:

My cat comes running when I meow to her-she especially loves the Meow Mix song.  She also comes running when I whistle and can read my mind.  I can go to the kitchen to make dinner or to do dishes or other things, but if I go into it with the notion of giving the 3 cats a treat (special can of cat food they get once in awhile), she chases me and is unrelenting until they get it. 

Either she reads my mind or senses what I am about to do from my posture.  She now has her own colander.