Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Correspondent
StarryNook
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎04-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

Dear BN, in regards to your (possible?) upcoming update?:

 You certainly have created a wonderful device, and even before it is has been rooted, it surely makes one of the best e-readers around. (well it could be perfect, with a few applied tweaks of course) ...but what you truly need to understand and obey, is the wishes of your NC customers...so give us absolutley everything we ASK for!

 It would also be nice to vaidate the warranties of all NC rooted devices.  

Yours truly,

NC Community

:smileyvery-happy:




~The best things in life aren't things~
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
Posts: 859
Registered: ‎03-12-2011

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

Honestly  the OP here seems to me to have the goal of posting some anti-Christian, anti-conservative rant and hope that the Christians don't respond in kind.  It's ok to ridicule the Christians, in the same breath in which he says he doesn't like Christians because they ridicule him.

 

So what do I want to say to forumers?  I'd like to say that too many people have a double-standard and want Christians to act in a way that you yourself are not willing to act.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.


richardwrite25 wrote:

Honestly  the OP here seems to me to have the goal of posting some anti-Christian, anti-conservative rant and hope that the Christians don't respond in kind.  It's ok to ridicule the Christians, in the same breath in which he says he doesn't like Christians because they ridicule him.

 

So what do I want to say to forumers?  I'd like to say that too many people have a double-standard and want Christians to act in a way that you yourself are not willing to act.


 

Not really. He does seem to have strong feelings about it. I dont dissagree that a big % of so called Christians are FOS.

 

I figure If your NOT a phoney Christian or FORCE FED conservative then you should not take offence.

 

RIGHT or LEFT, nobody wants to meet in the middle.  :smileysad:

 

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


richardwrite25 wrote:

...

So what do I want to say to forumers?  I'd like to say that too many people have a double-standard and want Christians to act in a way that you yourself are not willing to act.


Personally I would like everyone of every faith as well as those with no faith to keep it all to themselves and maintain it as a private thing.  I tire of the constant barrage of religious stuff that is thrown in my face on a daily basis, from the billboards, TV and radio ads, politicians, Internet posters, entire TV networks devoted to this stuff, and everyone else who must let the world know about their religion, or lack thereof.  You are right.  You are perfect. You wil be saved.  Just shut up and worship in private and stop trying to force it down our throats.  We get it already.  

 

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
Posts: 292
Registered: ‎12-10-2010

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

I agree I'm pretty over the religious and political rants around here. Don't they have forums for that someplace else? I'm not offended by any of it personally it's just old at this point. I guess people really are bored waiting for the update.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
Posts: 230
Registered: ‎02-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


beeyebickiebuy wrote:

 


NookonErik wrote:

I'm angry about the traffic light cameras that have appeared in my county . . . I've gotten two tickets @ $50 ea. in the last two months for "squeezing a lemon" on empty streets on two saturday mornings!

 

-Grrrrrrrrrrr . . . what a waste of my money!


I am equally upset that the red light cameras were removed here.  These cameras generated millions that went to the police and fire departments, and trauma units in our hospitals, in addition to reducing the number of collisions, injuries, and deaths at intersection by those who choose to ignore traffic laws.  A definite win-win.  Plus these cameras didn't cost the city a single cent to install or maintain.

 


 

Hmmm . . . veddy inte-lestinik!

 

When I used to return books late to the library I always joked that the fine I paid was my way of supporting the public library system. . . . so now I can think of the $100 as my donation to the police, fire and ambulance corps.!!!

 

Cool!

 

Can I claim the $100 as a tax deduction?!?!

 

:smileytongue:

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


NookonErik wrote:

 

. . . . so now I can think of the $100 as my donation to the police, fire and ambulance corps.!!!

 

Cool!

 

Can I claim the $100 as a tax deduction?!?!

 

:smileytongue:


You probably can if you are in the top 1% of earners in the country who have an army of accountants to find them the proper hole in the tax code.  But if you are like most of us, probably not. :smileysad:

 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


richardwrite25 wrote:

 

So what do I want to say to forumers?  I'd like to say that too many people have a double-standard and want Christians to act in a way that you yourself are not willing to act.


 

As a Christian I know that I am ordered to act in a specific way, regardless of how the rest of the world behaves, or how I am treated.  For others to expect it of me is no double standard since many Christians both those who came before me and here now announce our "superiority" on a regular basis.  

 

The "You did it first" argument never works for a Christian.  Didn't Christ say "Do not resist an evildoer.  But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also."?

 

Do I fail?  Oh you bet I do.  I don't ever justify it, though.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 

Couldnt resist....:smileytongue:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


phoneboy wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

Honestly  the OP here seems to me to have the goal of posting some anti-Christian, anti-conservative rant and hope that the Christians don't respond in kind.  It's ok to ridicule the Christians, in the same breath in which he says he doesn't like Christians because they ridicule him.

 

So what do I want to say to forumers?  I'd like to say that too many people have a double-standard and want Christians to act in a way that you yourself are not willing to act.


 

Not really. He does seem to have strong feelings about it. I dont dissagree that a big % of so called Christians are FOS.

 

I figure If your NOT a phoney Christian or FORCE FED conservative then you should not take offence.

 

RIGHT or LEFT, nobody wants to meet in the middle:smileysad:

 


 

Because the assumption is flawed.  It's not a linear progression, a line from right to left.  That's an old, unrealistic (simplistic, really) paradigm. 

 

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz

 

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
Posts: 514
Registered: ‎03-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

[ Edited ]

http://www.theadvocates.org/images/bd/quiz/red_dots/60_30.gif?1299870165


riffrafff wrote:

 



 

Because the assumption is flawed.  It's not a linear progression, a line from right to left.  That's an old, unrealistic (simplistic, really) paradigm. 

 

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz

 

 

 

 


 

Thanks for that.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


riffrafff wrote:

 

Because the assumption is flawed.  It's not a linear progression, a line from right to left.  That's an old, unrealistic (simplistic, really) paradigm. 

 

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz 


 

I don't disagree with your point, but the test you linked to is overly simplistic and not very useful.  It's skewed to return a disproportionate number of Libertarian responses.  For the results to be useful, the quiz needs to be a bit longer and collect more info.  Try this one:

 

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

A bit more background here:

 

http://www.theadvocates.org/content/learn-more-about-the-world-s-smallest-political-quiz?nav=quiz

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

 


riffrafff wrote:

 

Because the assumption is flawed.  It's not a linear progression, a line from right to left.  That's an old, unrealistic (simplistic, really) paradigm. 

 

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz 


 

I don't disagree with your point, but the test you linked to is overly simplistic and not very useful.  It's skewed to return a disproportionate number of Libertarian responses.  For the results to be useful, the quiz needs to be a bit longer and collect more info.  Try this one:

 

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

 


 

Yeah, there used to be quite a few more questions.  This is the first time I've looked up the quiz in years.  I still placed in the same quadrant as I did ten years ago, though, FWTW.

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Correspondent
Spijder
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎01-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

pffffff politics! It ought to be outlawed ;p (sideways-winking-tongue-sticking-out-face denotes yes, I do realize the irony of my statement)

"They ... they have this horrible ... pudding here. Butterscotch pudding on Mondays, it's dreadful." ~Dr. Walter Bishop: Fringe
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

[ Edited ]

Edited:  Even I end up Libertarian on that test and, well, I'm not. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

Close enough to the middle to say Thats were I stand... :smileyhappy:

 

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

Edited:  Even I end up Libertarian on that test and, well, I'm not. 


Interesting.  I was labelled libertarian on both tests.  And I am.   :smileywink:

 

 

And both tests are flawed.  In "your test," for instance, there's no middle-ground.  Everything is either "more-or-less-yes" or "more-or-less-no."  "My test" at least had a "strictly-middle-of-the-road" option. It just has too few questions to be accurately deterministic.

 

But without knowing the details of the algorithms either test, it is impossible to know just how biased either one is to the test creator's agenda.  :smileysurprised:

 

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

 


phoneboy wrote:

Close enough to the middle to say Thats were I stand... :smileyhappy:

 


 

Um, that chart is just an example.  Scroll further down the page, phoneboy.    :smileyvery-happy: 

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

[ Edited ]

 


riffrafff wrote:

 

And both tests are flawed.  In "your test," for instance, there's no middle-ground.  Everything is either "more-or-less-yes" or "more-or-less-no."  "My test" at least had a "strictly-middle-of-the-road" option. It just has too few questions to be accurately deterministic. 


 

I don't posit that "my" test is perfect but at least it has enough data to be useful.  How many times do you really have no opinion, which is exactly what a "Maybe" is?  (And the exact reason given by the test's creators for why there is no "Maybe."  Most people have opinions on most everything - if they don't it's usually because they haven't thought about it.)

 

("Your" test calls me a Libertarian.  Every other version I've done makes me a Liberal.  Much to the chagrin of the Conservative home and Church where I grew up.  :smileytongue:)

 

I do agree that unless we know the creator's agenda, it's hard to put much stock in any political test's results, though.