Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PepSnickerMint

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

I'm brand new to posting here, but not new to lurking .. I did a lot of various readings on here before I decided to sign up and make a post. However, there are two things that I noticed.

1. Sometimes people can't figure out the tone of a post, and assume that they are getting bad talked to when they aren't and that starts a tiff between members. This mostly happens in the controversial topics (religion, politics, etc). Sometimes I feel like those controversial subjects are a set up for people who don't believe what they OP said, but I have seen that on several boards .. not just here, and have learned to just not post in them to begin with lol.

2. How people talk bad about the Nook, Nook Color, or B&N when none of them are at fault - it's simply the user that is doing something wrong or doesn't understand something. I feel like maybe they should be more patient, search for their answer or ask their question, and learn how to fix it before they get really upset and condemn everything B&N/Nooks.

Everything else, I love the conversations and the people seem really friendly and fun to hang around with!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

Pepsnicker. That was not an offensive post and does not belong in this thread. Please take you common senc statements elsewhere or we will chastise you and very likely call you names. You have been warned. Oh, Welcome to theNooknation. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

@ riffraff, No. Don't want to ruin my delusion. Trbl with most surveys is they can't cover all the variables. A lot of those questions don't have a simple answer.
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
PepSnickerMint
0 Kudos

*Cries in my corner*

But I just want to BELONG!

:smileyvery-happy:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

[ Edited ]

Just as I knew, I am a Wing Lefty/Libertarian according to the test.

I hate Floridian drivers. I don't know what it is about this state. Every single person on the road is in a rush to be wherever they're going, and they drive stupidly recklessly as a result. Tailgating at 70mph on a highway, weaving in and out of traffic at every oppertunity to get a few feet ahead, nearly running over pedestrians... its awful. In some states there are stupid drivers, in some states their are bad drivers, but Florida is the only place you get stupid bad drivers.

I'm an athiest. I see no value in a supernatural deity who has no evidence supporting his existance (and plenty against it) and has been the cause for most of the world's bloodshed. I like that I try to always do the right thing because I want to make the world a better place, not because I'm being coerced by threats of eternal damnnation from a big guy who's always watching. That being said, I frankly don't care what anyone else's religious views are. What you believe is between you and whatever divine being(s) you choose to look to. I hate proselytization. I am leading a happy, fulfilling life right now, I don't need or want your prayers or to hear about your god's "miracles". Your religion is great for you, my lack of religion is great for me. We can still be friends.

Contributor
NevermoreNC
0 Kudos

Well we seem to have covered politics and religion pretty well so I'm going to rant about driving.  Keeping to the overall hypocritical theme of the thread I naturally will not be criticizing my own.  Twice today I found myself behind people driving BMW Z4's and both times they were driving well below the posted speed limit and holding up traffic.  Why the hell do you pay that kind of money for that kind of car only to drive like a bit@%? Seriously, if I could afford that car I wouldn't be able to drive it at all because my license would have been revoked.  Ok, got that off my chest now breathe in, breathe out, move on. 

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl

[ Edited ]

Oh gosh--have you (the collective you) been sitting behind me in traffic, while I was trying to explain (to my passenger) what makes me so angry about "some" posters? :smileywink: I was waving my arms like a crazy person and talking as fast and as loud as I could before she could interrupt...

I digressed...

I hate when people who don't want to help get snarky when someone asks for help. I get that many seasoned NC owners have figured out a lot of things and have shared their wisdom with this board and with each other many many times. If you don't want to help "this time" or it seems like a dumb question--skip it. Maybe the OP will try out the search function or pull out the User Guide while they're waiting for a response. Perhaps they'll even "google" something. :smileysurprised:

I hate it when people assume that the rest of the world is using a 32-bit WindowsXP OS. Not all instructions translate seamlessly across various hardward and OS.

I hate it when someone posts a problem and the variant responses run along the lines of   "Gee, I don't have that problem." People aren't looking for people who don't have the problem--they are looking for someone who has solution. They probably don't even care if there are others who have had the exact same problem unless there's a solution hidden somewhere in the post.

I've never been invited to find the site search button, read the User Guide (all 91 pages of it), or to "Google it." Those are the things I always do first. But I realize, that for some, when something goes wrong they don't instantly think, "let me go read the (91 page) User Guide." Maybe they should--but it annoys me when that is the best that is offered to them by people who probably know the answer.

I would like to thank MadScntst (again) for offering me a helpful solution even though I hadn't requested one. I don't remember the thread--but he admitted to 48 hours of panic related to the NC--me, I'm only admitting to 6 hours of it. :smileytongue: I read each post, that is a request for technical help, with the memory of that panic. Someday, I hope I'll be able to help. In the meantime, I'll just stay out of the way, mentally catalog the best responses and offer them up when it's my turn and everyone else is just too tired (jaded?) to write their response yet again.

Yep--FWIW--I find snarky responses to requests for help "offensive."

THERE--now, I've "said" it. :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Just as I knew, I am a Wing Lefty/Libertarian according to the test.

I hate Floridian drivers. I don't know what it is about this state. Every single person on the road is in a rush to be wherever they're going, and they drive stupidly recklessly as a result. Tailgating at 70mph on a highway, weaving in and out of traffic at every oppertunity to get a few feet ahead, nearly running over pedestrians... its awful. In some states there are stupid drivers, in some states their are bad drivers, but Florida is the only place you get stupid bad drivers.

True story (and explains a lot about Florida drivers)--

When my son was 16 and went to get his (Florida) driver's license, the entire driving portion of the test took place in the empty parking lot behind the DMV.  I wish it was a lie--but it isn't.

Almost ever time I drive, I end up screaming, "they'll give anybody in this state a driver's license."

I got mine in California--where I needed to know how to park on a hill, drive through downtown, a residential neighborhood, a school zone...and horrors...how to merge into freeway traffic.

I am convinced that the only people, living/driving in Florida, who know how to merge into traffic, have come from someplace else.

And I have a theory on why Floridians drive so fast...they're so old they're afraid if they don't get there in the next 5 minutes they might not get there at all. :smileywink:

Yep football and driving--everyone in Florida is an expert. :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
Minpinrose
0 Kudos

You got that right!  But sometimes people do make an attempt and make a mistake:womanvery-happy:

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Just another TAX for the local Gov. to bring in more money.  In Suffolk Co.  NY they installed around 100 of the Red Light Camera.  All in the name of Saftey.  My Rear End Saftey it all about the Money.  Do the Math sense they were installed they have issued 98,000 at $50 dollars each.  No going to court to fight.  Thats right $4,900,000  

NookonErik wrote:

I'm angry about the traffic light cameras that have appeared in my county . . . I've gotten two tickets @ $50 ea. in the last two months for "squeezing a lemon" on empty streets on two saturday mornings!

-Grrrrrrrrrrr . . . what a waste of my money!

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

An empty parking lot?  You guys have it good!   To qualify for a motorcycle license around here, you take a 4 minute test in the space of about six parking stalls.  You ride (and I use that term loosely) down the middle of six pylons arranged in three pairs, make a loop, and ride back through, and come to a "precision stop."  At no time do you exceed 5 mph.  It's all you can do to keep your balance on anything bigger than a 350.  Touch a toe to the pavement and it's over.  This qualifies you to drive among all the fools putting on make-up, eating breakfast, texting on cell phones, and just generally not paying attention whilst they drive.  It's no wonder that 50% of motorcycle accidents happen within the first five months of riding (to be fair, though, 70% of all motorcycle fatalities are caused by car drivers).

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

Well, I took both tests (curiosity won out). :smileyhappy: Both were fairly accurate for me. The first said I am a left-leaning centrist. The second had me in good company with Ghandi, Mandela and The Dalai Lama. :smileysurprised: I would like to be at that party. :smileyvery-happy:
[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Correspondent
Piechow
0 Kudos

Im angry with that f**king guy Piechow. He is such an a**hole. Always going after those whiners and such.

Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

I just realized that I didn't post my major pet peeve. :smileyvery-happy: Narrow-minded people really get my hackles up! GRRRRRRR!
[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Inspired Contributor
Imadanefan
0 Kudos

That's funny I actually give that test. You should try telling some big burly boy he failed. Now that's a good time.

riffrafff wrote:

An empty parking lot?  You guys have it good!   To qualify for a motorcycle license around here, you take a 4 minute test in the space of about six parking stalls.  You ride (and I use that term loosely) down the middle of six pylons arranged in three pairs, make a loop, and ride back through, and come to a "precision stop."  At no time do you exceed 5 mph.  It's all you can do to keep your balance on anything bigger than a 350.  Touch a toe to the pavement and it's over.  This qualifies you to drive among all the fools putting on make-up, eating breakfast, texting on cell phones, and just generally not paying attention whilst they drive.  It's no wonder that 50% of motorcycle accidents happen within the first five months of riding (to be fair, though, 70% of all motorcycle fatalities are caused by car drivers).

&n bsp;

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

What I find most interesting about these types of tests is that many people who consider themselves to be conservative take the tests and actually they are more liberal or libertarian than they know. Which a lot of times I could have told them so after talking to them for a bit. But they insist that the test is somehow flawed because they couldn't possibly be a liberal.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I'm almost in the top middle of purble about 1/3 down

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I had to ride in real traffic and if you put your food off the pegs at worng time you failed.  ALmost 35 years ago I finally got a MC license.     On a another note my Stepfather died when I was quite young and my mother never got a DL or leaned to drive.  When I turn 14 I got a Hardship DL from the State of Texas.  Bet that don't happen any more.

Inspired Contributor
trishamil
0 Kudos

It get's under my skin:

When people can't live and let live.

When we need to be so PC because someone will get their feeling hurt. Hurt feelings won't kill anyone.

When we can't look in the mirror and see that somethings that we hate or are irritated by, are exactly what we are doing.

When we are so narrow minded that there is no room for anyone else beliefs...that if someone else doesn't feel or think exactly as we do, and they express it, that it's a personal attack on us and it's offensive to hear it...when did we become so thinned skinned?

Well, that's my rant!  I appreciate the opportunity, that felt really good! :-)