Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
tenagail

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

My pet peeve is people who take themselves too seriously.
Contributor
stricknook
0 Kudos

Re: The totally offensive thread! Spill what you always wanted to say (or have said) to forumners.

oh goodness,im home!!

the most offensive,

posters who say they own a nook color, that respond to a question,need for clairity, or just need directions to a page, who use the

"well you shouldnt need to know that its only for reading,you are being unreasonable and wasting my time cause i decided to post this crap to make me feel superior,after all im so ignorant i havent noticed the 9'x5' banners onthe store fronts advertising the things i dont think you should want"

naturaly, this being a barnes and noble site, there are more helpful, and generaly kind boards to learn form with members who remember their own learning curve and who help those who have questions.and i dont think anyone who puts their ignorance out in public to ask for help deserve negitive garbage, just show them the path, dont carry them, dont be a dick. how hard?

besides, if your experteise is so advanced you have no need for the rest of the features of the NC other than to read and the noobiles need for help bothers you so much you fell the need to waste so much valible effort to type a compliant to emmbarass someone new,

FYI---get a kindle and stay off the internet, or better dont use an tablet at all, stick to paper and by gods great big hairy set stay off of" THE NOOKCOLOR DISSCUSION BOARD "

Pricks like this guy put me off asking for help at first, now i love to waste my time on them,(or, my thery its one person working for b&n-secret anti shopper-) just thanks to all who help others,since we cant depend on B&N and screw those who think this is a hangout for trustfund yuppies

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Takes the cake, but then every post from SN is either incoherent or abusive or both and much much more.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
phoneboy

Its annoying when someone comes on a forum, posts some senseless rant and people get upset cause others call them out.(ya'll defend the right to post but can't defend the actual post) then you decide the ones calling BS DON'T have the right to post.

I'll add that most often the people calling BS are also the ones that offer the most help on these boards. Do they post the "Look it up" or "Use the search function"? Yep. Do they then attempt to answ the OP? Most often, Yes. Do they sometimes snap at some posters? Yep  I call it  "Are we there yet syndrome" 

Some new posters are also new to internet forums. They jump in and shout. "My WIFI doesn't work and my covers are grey and I can't even post on the B&N board with their stupid sucky device. Should people just ignore em? Maybe. I prefer to call em out.

Some mite feel intimidated by a reply and not come back and better explain or defend their post. Some get hurt feelings OH well. Like they say "Can't stand the heat, make lemonade (or something like that... .  Maybe the Rainbows and gummybears forum would suit them better.

Lets add that most tech questions end up here(More traffic, makes sense) in the GENERAL discussion board. There is a tech support forum.

I'm glad the people on here aren't posting "This belongs in the tech support forum"   A person could wait an hour plus sometimes to get an answ.

Also get tired of people complainin about religious and political threads. Stay out of it if you don't like it. There are almost 3000 threads in here. Join one of those discussions and leave us small minded bullies alone. Sheesh

Thanks for listenin and as always JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Speaking of the "tech forum,"  it needs a new name.  If I had just bought a Nook, and I saw a sub-forum on an official B&N site called "Technical Support," I would figure it would be frequented by B&N tech people, which is obviously not the case.  Should be called "Community Tech Help (Maybe)" or something like that.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik

I HATE lying, manipulative bosses who feed on those they intimidate and take advantage of ignorant employees and work hard to keep them ignorant. They surround themselves with their self-affirming-cronies in order to shield themselves and obvuscate their secrets. They buy themselves techno-gadgets for themselves with public money even though they have six figure incomes. 

(sigh)

Okay . . . I fell a little better!

Nook Color Wallpapers
deemure

phoneboy,

I agree with you.  Not only because I am a repeat offender, but because I do think some things just make plain sense.

Many well decry censorship of tv shows, saying if you don't like it change the channel, but then come here and don't exercise that ability.  Instead they choose not only to enter a thread, but they refuse to read what people have posted and then reply to what they think was said.  This is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Don't reply to someone's post if you don't even have the common decency to read what they have written.  Just because you already have formed an opinion does not mean you know what they are all about and what they are talking about.  Jumping to conclusions merely shows ignorance, IMO.

A great many people do put in time here, trying to help others out and then some come on here merely to antagonize by seeming to want some information or help.  If they post something in an offensive way, they shouldn't be surprised if it gets answered in kind.  Should people show restraint?  Sure, but to expect that is naive.

As far as religious conversations.  Believe what you will, that is your right.  But, do not expect others to agree.  When they don't agree, don't assume that that difference of opinion is persecution or meant in a hostile way.  Oftentimes, an overblown reaction is actually due to a lack of conviction.  I believe what I believe and am secure enough in that to allow others their own thoughts as well.  Christians that really follow Christ understand this, for He was not so critical about those that led good lives with concern and care for others, or those that sinned with a more innocent heart.  He had real concern and even scorn for those that assumed their own "righteousness" put them above others and that believed they had the right to judge and prosecute offenders just because they called themselves holy. 

I once met a Muslim man in the course of work I did.  On the mantel above his fireplace was a statue of Mary.  I had no idea why and so I asked him.  He said that in Islam they believe that Christ was a great prophet.  They did not see him as the son of God, but he was way up there near to Mohammed and so Mary was revered and loved.  He further stated that in true Islam they are taught that someone with a faith or with goodness in their heart is not looked down upon.  It is rather those with evil intent or those that claim they are for good that do bad that are scorned. We have much to learn.

Take from that what you will, but it is man that always seeks to use things to divide, whether it's religion, hair color, skin color, culture, food, politics, or real estate, or money.  People do this.  We are never content to see what binds us together, instead we must constantly see and focus on that which separates us, makes us different.  And we oftentimes cannot stand on the courage of our convictions and be reasoned and calm in the face of discussion.  We fear an attack because of our own uncertainty.  So we lash out and assert that someone that disagrees is seeking to destroy us, because of their words.  And we stop using logic and discussion as tools-we resort to verbal assaults or worse.  It always seems to end up being a me vs. them kind of thing.  Too bad really.  There is none so blind as he who will not see.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13

I'm now your biggest fan, deemure. :smileyhappy: Laurels for you!
[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Contributor
luvs2cruise

deemure

Toonces, the driving cat.

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl

Many years ago, a wise friend of mine said, "If their mama couldn't raise 'em right in 18 years, what makes y'all think you're gonna fix 'em in the next 5 minutes?" :smileytongue:

I think it applies to internet message boards as much as it applies anywhere else.

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

LOL @ that cat picture! Hilarious!