Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana

The week that was.

Let’s see, since the 1.2.0 update we have had:

1. The Great Reset of 2011.

2. Many people reporting poor video performance in 1.2.

3. Magazine snafus such as missing issues of paid-for mags.

4. Wifi problems of all sorts.

5. Crash-prone, defective, and/or incomplete apps. And NO REFUNDS even if they are!

6. Browser crashes/freezes.

7. Still no landscape mode for some ebooks.

8. Email issues including the inability to log off.

9. A worthless sample cookbook that we can’t get rid of. More like adware to me.

10. A measly 135 or so apps. You call that an App Store?!

11. Probably more that I am forgetting.

To anyone offended: Yes, I am complaining! Deal with it! Even for me, a person who had kept his expectations low for the 1.2 update, I would still have to give B&N an “F” for the last 5 days.

The B&N apologists can slam me all they want. This week has been nothing short of a unmitigated disaster, plain and simple.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Re: The week that was.

Well, look on the bright side... it can only get better, right?  That's something to look forward to.  :smileyhappy:

- Mark

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

I've never stressed out so much over a device and I switched from PC to Mac last year and got a Macbook Pro!!

I so love my NC but I am more than ready for some smooth sailing!

Frequent Contributor
Red_Reign_Six

*** Fingers crossed *** It can only get better, right?  Right?

Contributor
GrampsMC

Very simple way to solve all your problems. Sell your NC on eBay and get whatever you think is better.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier

MaluhiaKana wrote:

to be fair, this was never promised and in the FAQ it is stated that this was not supported

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

Some view things as a glass half full others view it half empty.  It's obvious what the OP's point of view is. 

Yes there are problems but the promise is great than the small hurdles the problems present.

For me I didn't have any problems except the video sync and some noticeable slow down with the browser on some flash web pages, yet the browsing is still at very acceptable speeds.  The biggest slow down is the library loading, with 300 books and music and now apps, it is easy to understand why the library loads slower.  The speed of the library loading is similar to a large ebook loading, still not a problem.

What the update did for me, I hadn't rooted prior to the update, the reason our Nookcolor is my wife's.  After the update the B&N app store gave us a taste for what is possible via the Android market, we will be rooting to take advantage... Thanks to the update, MORE PLEASE!

Hopefully the update provided a stabler version of Android 2.2 for the rooting developers to work with, and even the rooting stuff will be improved...

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

rooted and lovin' the NC:smileyhappy

Inspired Correspondent
THE_Waldo
0 Kudos

Didnt root but still loving the NC.

moogs wrote:

rooted and lovin' the NC:smileyhappy

Nook Color Shortcuts
(By ME!)

1. Add Caffeine
2. Add Internet
3. Stir profusely
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!!
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I'm still happy with my nc, even though this week has been troubling. I have not rooted my nc, but think i will do it. I don't know how, but i will learn. What i do like about the nc is small size, no itunes, no need for a blackberry phone to run my tablet, and much less expensive than a xoom.
Contributor
surestquotient
0 Kudos

I have had a two-fold experience, and you can look for my earlier contributions to the forum.  I have two NOOKColor.  They were bought about two month apart.  One through the mail order, one at a store.  The first NOOKcolor updated just fine, absolutely no problems.  Everything works, good experience.  The other NOOKColor had a lot of hick-ups, and I lost everything in it.  It even required a new registration.  Once that dust settled, it works good now as well.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Yeah, it was a hell of a week - I spent much more time on this message board than actually reading my books, which really is a shame.

But - the dust HAS settled (for me at least) and I am back to being absolutely IN LOVE with my NookColor!

And I agree, it can only get better. I expect many more wonderful apps to be released in the near future and look forward to seeing what other cool tricks my NC can do.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
zozoroshi
0 Kudos

I'm not ready to drink the kool aid yet, thanks. Yay! enhanced reader books...oh no! Video won't close on enhanced ereader books.  Oh crud...now the same video pops up on any and all enhanced books I try to open.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Phrases I am sick of-drink the koolaid.  :smileyvery-happy:  No offense to the poster since it seems to be a common one these days.  It has a horrible origin and should be wiped from our vocabulary since it really does turn my stomach thinking of actually drinking koolaid and the phrase's origin. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
zozoroshi
0 Kudos

You know, I have never really used that phrase until I got on the nook board but there really does seem to be a cult of nook. (oh dear, I'm sure I'm going to be flamed over that) Anyway,  I like my nook, but I don't *love* my nook and I'm not ready to sweep away all the problems lately by saying "well, it's a pretty good ereader and I never expected much anyway."  If Barnes and Noble offers a service, then I want the service to work.

Inspired Correspondent
furyu

DITTO!
I'm sick of the BN groupies telling me I'm wrong to be angry with what has happened, that it's only a few NCs that had problems.  I'd  never come on these boards prior to this week, but what I've learned is that I was one of the lucky ones in having a NC that worked perfectly well before the update.  Not any more.  
You have to wonder what agenda is behind those who denounce and disparage those of us who have legitimate complaints.  
I had the great satisfaction this morning of responding to an online survey emailed to me by BN customer support.  They  wanted to know how satisfied I was with my experience.  HA!  I didn't hold back, and I let them know in no uncertain terms exactly what I thought of their non-customer service and horrendously inept technical support.  I'm sure no one will respond or have the courage to admit their screw ups.
As for the apologists here... ultimately, I could care less about them.  I've pretty much got their number.... and that is "zero".   

MaluhiaKana wrote:

1. The Great Reset of 2011.

2. Many people reporting poor video performance in 1.2.

3. Magazine snafus such as missing issues of paid-for mags.

4. Wifi problems of all sorts.

5. Crash-prone, defective, and/or incomplete apps. And NO REFUNDS even if they are!

6. Browser crashes/freezes.

8. Email issues including the inability to log off.

9. A worthless sample cookbook that we can’t get rid of. More like adware to me.

10. A measly 135 or so apps. You call that an App Store?!

11. Probably more that I am forgetting.

To anyone offended: Yes, I am complaining! Deal with it! Even for me, a person who had kept his expectations low for the 1.2 update, I would still have to give B&N an “F” for the last 5 days.

The B&N apologists can slam me all they want. This week has been nothing short of a unmitigated disaster, plain and simple.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Contributor
jintoku
0 Kudos

It is unfortunate that some, such as OP in this case, have had bad experiences. I have not had any such mishaps -- apart from a brief spell of the disappearing app store, which fixed itself when I closed the shop and reopened. I've not done a reset since prior to the update.

That being said, I'm continuing to enjoy reading books, and providing digital support in the avian-porcine conflict. I've checked email once -- I'll likely do it more often when I'm on the road. As it stands, the Nook Color does more now than it did before -- and more than it was advertised to be able to do when I bought it.

This is clearly a problem of YMMV -- and it has nothing to do with Kool-Aid or any other liquid refreshment. Personal experience is just that -- personal. And mine has been very good this week.

“I am not the part of the universe I completely control, but the whole of the universe I influence in part.” — Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

furyu wrote:
...what I've learned is that I was one of the lucky ones in having a NC that worked perfectly well before the update.  Not any more.
Performance has been greatly deteriorated. Battery life has tanked. It took an 8% battery drain to download two free books yesterday. I keep wi-fi turned off unless using it (thus I avoided the server reset) and all my settings are at minimum. I have no apps that need to poll for updates.
Reading a simple non-graphic book really takes its toll now. I used to charge the NC every 3-4 days, somtimes only once a week. It's starting to look like I'll need to charge it every day. Even my laptop on battery power runs longer using full power mode. This is not good.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!