Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
yndirah
0 Kudos

They're charging me for my free subscription!

I'm supposed to be getting the print subscriber discount for people magazine, but they charged me 9.99 on October 27.  Right after I subscribing to the digital edition I went to the page and gave my subscriber information and got a confirmation page saying I would get the discount of 9.99.  First I thought   the 9.99 was a temporary hold, but when the charge didn't go away, I went to put my subscriber info again and I get a screen saying I already have the discount in place. 

Today I spent over 30 minutes with a rep called Yolanda that had no clue what this discount was or what charges were on my accout.  First she said People mag were the ones that should be refunding me the monthly amount, then that Barnes and Noble doesn't have that offer listed, then that the charge was for Elle mag (even after I kept telling her Elle mag is only .99 a month), etc. I kept correcting her because every single thing she said was incorrect as per the B&N website and my account. After all was said and done, she said her system says my People subscription is free (even though I kept telling her my order page says it's 9.99 and 0.00 discounts) and that I should place a dispute with my card company!  She was adamant she saw no charge on her system, I obviously have a charge on my credit card and it showns on my account as well, why would her system and my B&N account show different amounts?

I placed a dispute with my card company, but they advised me the charge would keep coming every month unless B&N fixes this.  I'm so angry, how could employees be so absolutely clueless?  By the way, I asked to speak to a manager and she didn't want to transfer me, she said her manager advised her to tell me People mag should be the one giving me the discount and not them.  It's hilarious how usless this call was.  Please Alex or somebody else, a little help please?

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
0 Kudos

Re: They're charging me for my free subscription!

Hi yndirah,

I'm sorry for all of the confusion. Send me your account info (email, serial number, subscription id) via PM and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks!

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
yndirah
0 Kudos

Any luck? I sent you my information Tuesday night but I haven't heard anything yet.
New User
SeisMoe
0 Kudos

Funny (not really).  I'm having the same problem on my end.  No reply back from -anyone- online.  I'm scared to call the 800 number as the last time the woman didn't want to help me and kept trying to send me to the On Ground Customer Support. 

Perhaps that Kindle doesn't look so bad anymore...

New User
SeisMoe
0 Kudos

On and on and on and on. Just in case anyone else is even reading and wondering - or God forbid having the same problem: * I finally reached intelligent life at the 800 number (took 40 minutes and two threat on the phone to reach someone at the second level). * My $1.99 was refunded (yea!). * My digital subscription was cancelled (boo, but I understand) * Told to call the magazine and explain that I wanted to activate the digital account on another device. * Called Customer (No)Service at the magazine, only to be told that B&N keeps up with that information. Oh OK? Told that since my digital subscription was cancelled through B&N, that I should be able to sign back up and activate the digital subscription without any problems. * Signed in to B&N online. Signed up for the 14 day free trial. Attempted to activate the digital subscription, but received a note stating that my 'Print Subscription Account Information has already been used to activate a discount for another NOOK subscription' (Well, DUH! that was me a month ago when your stupid website couldn't figure out how to link it to my account!) * Called back to B&N 800 number, explained my story and was transferred to another B&N Department. Told the story there and was hung up on (too complicated, I guess?) * Called back and talked with Marge (yes, I'm taking names now) Explained the story to her - thank God she listened. She took careful note of what I had to say and put me on hold so she could talk with the person in the room with the brain. * She comes back on the line and tells me that she needs to transfer me to the Nook Technical Support people. Great. Marge was helpful, but then transferred me to 'Rich' in Technical Support. * Rich in Technical Support is completely useless. He asks me WHEN I signed up for this subscription. I tell him "Just before I started this call - about 30 minutes ago". He asks me again when I signed up??? Huh???? Today. I guess that was a better answer. He puts me on hold. * Rich comes back to tell me that the promotion is only good ONE TIME and that since I had the free subscription and cancelled it, that I cannot activate it again. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! * I explained to Rich the probably (again) and now I'm getting aggravated (more so than before) and can hear my tone changing. I apologized, but explained that I was getting tired of this and that B&N was going to fix this today. He explained that he would need to talk with his supervisor (no duh, really?). I said that I need him to just connect me directly to the supervisor because I'm tired of this back and forth. He puts me on hold for "3-5 minutes". * 10 minutes later 'Andre' comes on the line. He echoes back the problem that I am having - which is greatly appreciated by me, because I'm getting tired of telling the story - and he gets it correct. He explains that he will have to put me on hold for a few minutes while he researches the situation. OK. * 9 minutes later Andre comes back on. He really does sound like he's trying to help me and that does make a big difference. Unfortunately he says that there's NOTHING he can do to help me with this, but says that he has contact information for the folks who can. Awesome! I mean, whoever can help me - I want to talk to THAT person. BUT the 'person' is nothing more than the email address that I've been waiting to hear something back from FOR THE PAST 10 DAYS!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Is there ANYONE home? Absolutely. Positively. Ridiculous. I've now spent the past HOUR on the phone talking with 4 different people from two companies and 4 different departments and the resolution is that I'm supposed to send an email to an account that appears to be unmonitored. Ugh. What a mistake.
Distinguished Correspondent
floridaphil
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear about your difficulties but thank you so much for sharing the information. Good to know.  Let us know if it gets resolved.

New User
SeisMoe
0 Kudos

I received an email response today from my latest message to authorizations@barnesandnoble.com. It would seem that the 'solution' is for me to contact someone via Chat - something I have yet to do - and THEY will be able to fix this problem. I'm game. If someone else reading has a different interpretation, please let me know: Dear Customer, Thank you for writing to us. If you have a more immediate need for help, or have questions that require more than an email, we invite you to join us in our newly launched NOOK® Chat Room. To find us, visit our website and select NOOK Support. You?ll see ?Chat With a NOOK Expert? in the lower right corner of your screen. Click on it, and get connected to a live NOOK expert! Right now, our Chat Team is available Monday through Friday 8:00 AM ? 11:00 PM and Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM EST. If you do not see the link on the Support page, we are always happy to assist to you by phone. Call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) between 8am & 11pm EST Monday-Friday (9AM-5:30 PM on weekends) and select Option 2 for NOOK Support. We look forward to hearing from you. Visit www.bn.com and click on the options that appear in the upper right-hand corner to view information about your order. We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Grandt Richards Customer Service Representative - Digital Support Barnes & Noble http://www.bn.com/ Visit our NOOK Support site for the latest updates and downloads at: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/