Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
Hemingway67
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎04-10-2011

This could get scary

Let me start by saying I love my Nook. But if B&N doesn't get a clue, this could quickly go the way of the Kindle. Android will come out with a reader that has more than 140+ apps and shame the B&N effort. Do they think we are dumb or just happy with Angry Birds and a bunch of overpriced, lame apps?

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." ~William Butler Yeats
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

I think they figured if they gave us Flash and Angry Birds, we'd all be kissing their feet. They need to get more apps out soon to capitalize on the recent publicity. More and more people are going to simply start using Gingerbread or whatever so they can get to the Android Marketplace. Of course, that will mean less money for B&N. But the way things stand at present, and I know things can change, the Nook App Store is sort of a joke.

 

 

Contributor
stevebez
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎12-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

Android is an operating system, not a hardware manufacturer. Perhaps you were thinking of Amazon?
Contributor
Hemingway67
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎04-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

Yes, sorry. I meant Amazon.

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." ~William Butler Yeats
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
Posts: 230
Registered: ‎02-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/amazon-hires-more-android-developers-color-kindle-android-tablet-in-t... Oh don't worry...... this NC is a game changer. Amazon has a team of Android developers. The Kindle Color is coming. Our NC is a 1.0 device and has been identified in the industry as a proof of concept that consumers want.
Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
Posts: 464
Registered: ‎04-20-2010

Re: This could get scary

To be honest BN is a company in trouble. They skipped a divedend to put this update out. It now feels to me they are trying had to seperate me from my money and giving no service in return. It's kind of sad when a company appears to hope that angry birds will save them. I still like my nook. I felt that BN was intentionally silent about the update. They could have lowered expectations without reveling anything. They choose to remain silent. I think that hurt them. I feel they spent more time preparing the ad campaign then worrying about beta testing. While most BN fanboys will be happy with what ever BN does, the real test is how the average consumer who doesnt post here will react to the consent problems and outages. They did no upgrade to the main reader. You still can't landscape read. Even worse is the PDF problems. Many PDF will show only as a red X. Since they advertise that the nook can read PDF it should, shouldn't it? It's a know problem they BN knows about it since almost day one. 6 months later there is still no fix. The only thing that they did was to sell a PDF reader. Nice. I'm not a big Apple fan, I think they are over priced and have some company policies that I disagree with. However there is a great experience with thier products there customer service is second to none. BN is trying to stay ahead of Amazon.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Correspondent
moogs
Posts: 130
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary


NookonErik wrote:
http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/amazon-hires-more-android-developers-color-kindle-android-tablet-in-t... Oh don't worry...... this NC is a game changer. Amazon has a team of Android developers. The Kindle Color is coming. Our NC is a 1.0 device and has been identified in the industry as a proof of concept that consumers want.

The NC is a game changer...an affordable, perfectly sized e-reader with enhanced function that is easy to use and capable of much greater things if you want it to be. Software aside, what other hardware would you add that wouldn't add significant cost to the device?  Not a B & N fanboy but Amazon missed the party on this one.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
Posts: 769
Registered: ‎01-08-2011

Re: This could get scary

 


PeterDe wrote:
To be honest BN is a company in trouble. They skipped a dividend to put this update out.

Skipping the dividend had nothing to do with this update. B&N has turned into a growth company rather than a value company as it embraces new technology while still staying true to their original roots which is selling books, and now e-books. As such they don't need a dividend to attract investors. Also, there is strong speculation that B&N may acquire Borders and they need cash to do that.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

[ Edited ]

 


mariel9898 wrote:

Skipping the dividend had nothing to do with this update. B&N has turned into a growth company rather than a value company as it embraces new technology while still staying true to their original roots which is selling books, and now e-books. As such they don't need a dividend to attract investors. Also, there is strong speculation that B&N may acquire Borders and they need cash to do that.

 


 

From what I have read, Barnes & Noble wants to be bought out. Problem is, no one wants them at their asking price. I think bankruptcy is a very real possibility for B&N. That doesn't mean all the stores will close, but they are in a real tough spot right now.

 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-22/barnes-noble-is-said-to-be-likely-to-end-search-for-buyer-w...

 

"Barnes & Noble makes the Nook e-reader, and some potential bidders balked at a purchase because of how long it may take the chain to generate more digital sales, two of the people said.

 

A few private-equity funds determined Barnes & Noble is relatively unproven in digital sales and would have to compete in that area with companies such as Apple Inc., Amazon.com and Google Inc., said the two people."

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009

Re: This could get scary

Rumors are rampant and rumors tend well to be rumors.  Speculation is killing this country.  Individual speculation breeds fear.  Mass speculation breeds panic.  Irresponsible speculation breeds high gas prices. :smileyvery-happy:

 

However, regarding the OP's post and the one that came after.  The apps are priced by their developers.  BN provides the sdk to developers to make them and then previews (presumably) the content and not the price.  It allows developers to charge what they think is a reasonable price much like they do authors with pubit and like Apple does with their apps. 

 

It has been said and should be obvious to anyone that more apps will be on the way.

 

Developers have indicated this is so as well.  And quite possibly if BN has slowed down some apps being offered it is due to the fact they need to provide support first for the update and then need to see what kinds of problems the app store will create and how to plan for it.

 

As such there does already seem to be a good smattering of apps across different types and I have already spent more money than I planned to.  And not because they are expensive (wow, $2.99 for Angry Birds when it costs $4.99 for the ipad), but because I want them. 

 

More will come, but it seems some people are just plain used to getting everything right away.  So sad.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
furyu
Posts: 151
Registered: ‎07-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

 

Well said, Peter.
I agree 100%.  BN has been in trouble for awhile now; no wonder, given the economy and online consumerism, Amazon, etc.  Yes, they are mainly trying to stay level with Amazon, and they won't be able to.  You can't beat Amazon for customer service in the first place, and BN doesn't appear to even try.  The Kindle is a superior eReader compared to the original (classic) Nook--which I own and have enjoyed since it came out.  But the Kindle does have a brighter and easier-to-read screen, plus it's much lighter.  The Nook Color was fabulous until the update last Monday.  It ruined my NC and now I have a "new, pre-owned" replacement.  Talk about customer service!  And I don't dare update that one... yet. 
Good point:  It's kind of sad when a company appears to hope that angry birds will save them.
Not only has angry birds not saved them (yet, if ever) but the update has created, for real, angry birds, such as myself.  BN has yet to acknowledge recent problems, and apparently prior problems (none of which I experienced with either the nook or the NC).  It does not bode well for future functionality of either device. Or customer satisfaction.
The Nook Color is selling 5-to-1 over the classic Nook.  Based on that fact, it would be foolish of BN to continue marketing the classic Nook, upgrading it even, and I suspect they might even phase it out all together.  However, if the NC continues to have problems as it does now, and Amazon comes out with its own tablet this summer, as speculated, then the die is cast, and BN is cooked.  That's my opinion.  I'm not hoping that happens, however.  I would feel very sad were BN to go bankrupt, for stores to close, for the end of that era completely.  Decades ago, as BN emerged and spread, it put a lot of small book sellers out of business.  That's the way things have gone, but at least it offered a decent and at times better replacement.  Were those stores to disappear, it would be a loss to our society. 
It's too bad.  But companies like BN should remember the age-old rule of running a business:  The Customer is ALWAYS right.  You support your customers and they will support you through thick and thin.  BN has done nothing to elicit my loyalty, especially this past week. 

PeterDe wrote:
To be honest BN is a company in trouble. They skipped a divedend to put this update out. It now feels to me they are trying had to seperate me from my money and giving no service in return. It's kind of sad when a company appears to hope that angry birds will save them. I still like my nook. I felt that BN was intentionally silent about the update. They could have lowered expectations without reveling anything. They choose to remain silent. I think that hurt them. I feel they spent more time preparing the ad campaign then worrying about beta testing. While most BN fanboys will be happy with what ever BN does, the real test is how the average consumer who doesnt post here will react to the consent problems and outages. They did no upgrade to the main reader. You still can't landscape read. Even worse is the PDF problems. Many PDF will show only as a red X. Since they advertise that the nook can read PDF it should, shouldn't it? It's a know problem they BN knows about it since almost day one. 6 months later there is still no fix. The only thing that they did was to sell a PDF reader. Nice. I'm not a big Apple fan, I think they are over priced and have some company policies that I disagree with. However there is a great experience with thier products there customer service is second to none. BN is trying to stay ahead of Amazon.

 

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009

Re: This could get scary

 


furyu wrote:

 

Well said, Peter.
I agree 100%.  BN has been in trouble for awhile now; no wonder, given the economy and online consumerism, Amazon, etc.  Yes, they are mainly trying to stay level with Amazon, and they won't be able to.  You can't beat Amazon for customer service in the first place, and BN doesn't appear to even try.  The Kindle is a superior eReader compared to the original (classic) Nook--which I own and have enjoyed since it came out.  But the Kindle does have a brighter and easier-to-read screen, plus it's much lighter.  
(My replies are in bold and I mean no offense to this poster-deemure)
Actually many people have had crappy CS from Amazon.  And many have had nothing but good experiences with B&N.  It happens.  I personally have had some horrible experiences with Amazon which included many times talking to someone I cannot even understand and who did not know understand some simple words I was using.  This is the state of CS today-for almost every company.
That is a newer version of the kindle so of course it has a brighter screen.  The screen only became available after the nook was already out.  And superior is debatable.
The Nook Color was fabulous until the update last Monday.  It ruined my NC and now I have a "new, pre-owned" replacement.  Talk about customer service!  And I don't dare update that one... yet. 
Getting a refurb is a standard for such electronics today.  Apple does it with iphones, ipads, etc.  So does Amazon with kindles.
Good point:  It's kind of sad when a company appears to hope that angry birds will save them.
Are you kidding?  Where has BN ever said this-that Angry Birds was going to save them.  This is ridiculous on its face.  They have apps because people want them and people wanted Angry Birds specifically, so why wouldn't they have this?  Apps enhance the NC's use for many people. 
Not only has angry birds not saved them (yet, if ever) but the update has created, for real, angry birds, such as myself.  BN has yet to acknowledge recent problems, and apparently prior problems (none of which I experienced with either the nook or the NC).  It does not bode well for future functionality of either device. Or customer satisfaction.
And Amazon never had problems with kindles (cracked screens, printed letters and such rubbing off of kindles, dead ones-read their boards).  And Apple never had problems with any of their devices either (iphones wouldn't make calls, ipads wouldn't go online, and so on).  In the case of the iphone's problem of hand placement Jobs even blamed users at least initially and never admitted a problem.  So much for good CS.  This is also the case with Amazon.  They do not admit problems with the kindle with announcements.
The Nook Color is selling 5-to-1 over the classic Nook.  Based on that fact, it would be foolish of BN to continue marketing the classic Nook, upgrading it even, and I suspect they might even phase it out all together.  
This is not a given and really doesn't make much sense.  Many people still prefer e-ink so in doing this, B&N would be cutting out a segment of customers that booksellers really want-just plain readers.  It would be like McDonald's saying French Fries are selling good, better than hamburgers so let's stop selling hamburgers.
However, if the NC continues to have problems as it does now, and Amazon comes out with its own tablet this summer, as speculated, then the die is cast, and BN is cooked. 
If this is the case then people really better get ready for a less consumer-friendly solution to things.  Apple does it by using itunes for everything.  No drag and drop, you need itunes controlling everything.  And Amazon follows Apple's model.  This is restrictive.  Amazon has also proven they don't want customers to go anywhere else for content and will do what they can to ensure this.  I'd sooner go back to DTBs than to subscribe to this.
It's too bad.  But companies like BN should remember the age-old rule of running a business:  The Customer is ALWAYS right.  
And this is the most ridiculous thing that is always repeated so people act as if it's true.  Quite often the customer is wrong and demands unacceptable things.  I've worked in retail and when unreasonable customers ask for unreasonable things, it often turns away the decent ones.  I've seen people here all but demand B&N give them a replacement for an out of warranty, broken device.  If they did that, I can only imagine the other customers that would be mad if they didn't get the same treatment.  In most cases, retailers are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
You support your customers and they will support you through thick and thin.  BN has done nothing to elicit my loyalty, especially this past week. 
And what company can you point to that really does this?  Most often what you will see and say is support is marketing.  Most companies know that customer loyalty is an unreal thing.  It's always a case of "what have you done for me lately?"   It's like constantly trying to play tag with a cheetah. 
And,by all means see what's out there.  BN has offered an open system (a consumer-friendly model) that allows users to basically do what they wish with the NC.  They have for free updated it to be more than it was before.  As with anything there will be hitches.  I had a McAfee update that totally inhibited my PC from going online.  Did I ever hear from McAfee?  No.  Do I still use McAfee?  Yes.  Do I think they care that I've used it for years?  No, because so have an untold mass of others.
There are other devices out there to be sure, but they all have their problems.  Virgin Mobile was horrible for me when purchasing a mifi.  Others just love them.  Best Buy has been extremely bad most times I have had to deal with CS and the one time I contacted Corporate.  Others just love them.  Apple stinks, in my opinion, but others just love them.  I've had to deal with some medical supply companies online and some are really horrible, but I've no doubt others just love them.

Well, I'm sure all this will be taken the wrong way.  I'm not a spokesperson for B&N.  I don't work for them.  But, I do like the products they offer.  I do like the fact they employ people in B&M stores here.  And, I do like that they are trying to make the NC experience even better and allow me to decide for myself what files I want to drag and drop to my NC.
I also will say when they mess up, but I think it's like batting your head against a brick wall to think that one company should be different from others that are out there unless you are willing to pay what this stuff would really cost with the kind of phone in support, loyalty rewards, announcements and apologies and all you desire.  You'd be surprised.  No company can afford that, not Apple, not Amazon, and not B&N.
I own a PS3.  After at least a week of the online service not being available and with real security issues at stake for 70 million people, I finally got an email explaining partially what happened.  After news stories and internet stories revealed the info.  There was no apology, but there was a statement of gratitude that we are being patient, and links to get free credit reports.  This is inconvenience.

 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
furyu
Posts: 151
Registered: ‎07-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

Deemure... I don't have time to go, point-by-point, through your reply post and discuss/argue with your point of view.  Utlimately, it really does come down to a point of view, though, on both our parts.

 

However, I got the 5-to-1 statistic from a Barnes & Noble employee hawking the Nooks at the Medford Oregon store on Friday April  22, 2011.  I didn't make them up.  Maybe he did?  Who knows?  That is what he told me.  I asked him how the classic was selling in comparison to the NC.  I have an interest of both, owning both.  I still like and use my original Nook, and it got me through this horrendous week....

 

When I replied to his statistics with, "that doesn't bode welll for the classic nook, does it?" he agreed.  

 

Time will tell.

 

Yes, I was speaking of the newer Kindles when I said they were clearer, brighter.  Amazon continues to upgrade it's basic eReader whereas BN has not.   If there was such a great market out there for the "true" eReader (which I think there is too), you'd think BN would support and upgrade its own product.

 

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Wordsmith
mariel9898
Posts: 769
Registered: ‎01-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

 


MaluhiaKana wrote:

 

From what I have read, Barnes & Noble wants to be bought out. Problem is, no one wants them at their asking price. I think bankruptcy is a very real possibility for B&N. That doesn't mean all the stores will close, but they are in a real tough spot right now.

Which is why they are taking the business strategy they are. Private equity looks for growth, not value and right now private equity companies are the only ones doing deals like this. At the moment, everyone is looking for a bargain and B&N isn't at that point either. Time will tell what will happen but that is just a fact of business.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

 


furyu wrote:
Deemure... I don't have time to go, point-by-point, through your reply post and discuss/argue with your point of view.  Utlimately, it really does come down to a point of view, though, on both our parts.

 

However, I got the 5-to-1 statistic from a Barnes & Noble employee hawking the Nooks at the Medford Oregon store on Friday April  22, 2011.  I didn't make them up.  Maybe he did?  Who knows?  That is what he told me.  I asked him how the classic was selling in comparison to the NC.  I have an interest of both, owning both.  I still like and use my original Nook, and it got me through this horrendous week....

 

When I replied to his statistics with, "that doesn't bode welll for the classic nook, does it?" he agreed.  

 

Time will tell.

 

Yes, I was speaking of the newer Kindles when I said they were clearer, brighter.  Amazon continues to upgrade it's basic eReader whereas BN has not.   If there was such a great market out there for the "true" eReader (which I think there is too), you'd think BN would support and upgrade its own product.

 


I never said BN isn't selling more NCs than classic nooks.  But you don't care to read what I've written so how would you know that?  I did respect you enough to read what you wrote before commenting on it.

 

And they have been supporting the classic nook, recently adding an upgrade to it.  How long has the Classic been out?   About a year and a half.  How long between the original kindle's release and the k2 and so on?  How many iphone 1 customers were ticked off when they released the iphone2 because they felt they had been taken by the quick release which was a longer delay than a year and a half?

 

BN employees don't have all the information, obviously.  You can ask 2 different ones the same question and will get 2 different answers, most likely.  The same as with any company.  If the update to the NC is any indication, some employees thought they knew something and didn't.  They are human beings and have opinions, ideas, and misconceptions just as everyone else does.  And some employees are not happily employed and will say anything.

 

I still maintain that your point about this doesn't make sense.  Just because the NC is doing better does not mean B&N has to abandon the classic nook.  Sure, they might, but there are real reasons for not doing so.  And again it would be like (I'll use Apple this time), Apple saying that ipad sales are better than the ipod's, so we'll just dump the ipod.  If you talked to a random Apple employee who really likes the ipad and never cared for the ipod and said that to him, he might agree.

 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
Posts: 817
Registered: ‎01-03-2011

Re: This could get scary

furyu wrote: "However, I got the 5-to-1 statistic from a Barnes & Noble employee hawking the Nooks at the Medford Oregon store on Friday April  22, 2011.  I didn't make them up.  Maybe he did?  Who knows?  "

 

Was the B&N employee offering this info because he thought you might be buying a Nookcolor, or simply considering any ereader?  Had you talked to the employee on a previous visit to the store and knew he was reliable, maybe helping you in a previous purchase?  Maybe you are a frequent visitor to the store and has seen you with your Nookcolor so he offered the comparison as friendly reinforcment for your buying decision on the Nookcolor?  What I'm getting at is what was the context of this stat he offered.  I haven't seen anywhere where B&N has revealed such, yet it would be easy for a local B&N store to draw their own conclusion based on seeing how product moves/sells.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

 


yocalif wrote:

furyu wrote: "However, I got the 5-to-1 statistic from a Barnes & Noble employee hawking the Nooks at the Medford Oregon store on Friday April  22, 2011.  I didn't make them up.  Maybe he did?  Who knows?  "

 

Was the B&N employee offering this info because he thought you might be buying a Nookcolor, or simply considering any ereader?  Had you talked to the employee on a previous visit to the store and knew he was reliable, maybe helping you in a previous purchase?  Maybe you are a frequent visitor to the store and has seen you with your Nookcolor so he offered the comparison as friendly reinforcment for your buying decision on the Nookcolor?  What I'm getting at is what was the context of this stat he offered.  I haven't seen anywhere where B&N has revealed such, yet it would be easy for a local B&N store to draw their own conclusion based on seeing how product moves/sells.


 

Exactly.  It could be true, but still means nothing.  It's only if a product stops selling enough units to justify the cost of production and to achieve profits that determines if a company will still sell it or not.  It doesn't matter how much another product sells unless it competes directly with it and still companies do this all the time.  Mickey D's sells a Big and Tasty burger and they sell Big Macs.  They sell cappucinos and frappes.  I have no doubt some sell better than others.  Makes no difference.  If they still provide a profit, they will consider still selling them.

 

But if you go to Mickey D's and an employee sees you like the caramel mocha better than the plain black coffee, they will agree with you when you say it's the best since you always get breakfast with it.  And, it costs more.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
furyu
Posts: 151
Registered: ‎07-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This could get scary

[ Edited ]

 

I had my Nook Color in my hand when I approached him.  I told him I owned the classic too, and liked it.  He knew he wasn't selling me anything, but he we talked about the NC, its great features, which he demonstrated for me (although I already knew about them, I just nodded and smiled... we were both having fun).  There was no one else inquiring about the Nook at that point so no doubt he was glad just to have a 'body' there.  Later, there were others coming and inquiring about it. 
I've mentioned (I thought in another reply to you, twice, in fact; but I understand it's hard to keep track of 'details' about people on boards such as this) that the B&N store is 2-1/2 hours from my home, 5-hours round trip.  I'm not a regular.  I never saw the guy before, nor he me.
He answered a direct question from me.  Where he got his info, I don't know, I didn't question that because, to me, it makes sense that the Nook Color would be a better seller for BN.   But yeah, it could very well be based on his own experience at that one store.  It doesn't surprise me that BN hasn't released sales info on same.
The original Nook was updated in November 2010.  It was a nice, useful update.  But it is still the same Nook.  BN has not improved upon it essentially, other than adding some software features.  I can't answer Deemure's questions regarding how soon after the release of the first Kindle did Amazon upgrade to an improved model without researching it (that info is readily available to both of us, but frankly, it's not worth my time to research it just to prove a point to someone who is never going to agree with me anyway) but I know Amazon has continually come out with new models, and just recently dropped the price of its newest model.  BN has never updated its original Nook; this we know.  It did drop its price on the Nook, soon after its release, and of course, Amazon followed suit.  
I'm speculating, based on the information I have, that BN will not continue putting money and time into further development of the eInk Nook.  I might be wrong.  It makes sense to me that they won't do it, based on their competition (Amazon as well as the othe eReaders), their interest and commitment to the Nook Color, and their current financial condition. To Deemure, it doesn't make sense, she states. So be it.  It's a stand-off.  If I'm wrong, if BN comes out with a new, improved eInk eReader... hurrah, hurrah, I'll be the first person to come here and admit that I was wrong.
Please understand: I'm not hoping and wishing for BN to fail.  I would like to see it succeed and continue supporting its products.  I wish they would improve upon their customer service and 'care' more about their customers.  I just don't see any evidence of this happening.  And I have years' experience in the business world which gives me a certain amount of wisdom from which I can pretty much predict how things will go.    

 

yocalif wrote:

... 

Was the B&N employee offering this info because he thought you might be buying a Nookcolor, or simply considering any ereader?  Had you talked to the employee on a previous visit to the store and knew he was reliable, maybe helping you in a previous purchase?  Maybe you are a frequent visitor to the store and has seen you with your Nookcolor so he offered the comparison as friendly reinforcment for your buying decision on the Nookcolor?  What I'm getting at is what was the context of this stat he offered.  I haven't seen anywhere where B&N has revealed such, yet it would be easy for a local B&N store to draw their own conclusion based on seeing how product moves/sells.


 

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009

Re: This could get scary

[ Edited ]

 


furyu wrote:

 


The original Nook was updated in November 2010.  It was a nice, useful update.  But it is still the same Nook.  BN has not improved upon it essentially, other than adding some software features.  I can't answer Deemure's questions regarding how soon after the release of the first Kindle did Amazon upgrade to an improved model without researching it (that info is readily available to both of us, but frankly, it's not worth my time to research it just to prove a point to someone who is never going to agree with me anyway) but I know Amazon has continually come out with new models, and just recently dropped the price of its newest model.  BN has never updated its original Nook; this we know.  It did drop its price on the Nook, soon after its release, and of course, Amazon followed suit.  

 
This was a rhetorical question and yes it is easy to look up.  Perhaps before making a statement that Amazon is constantly updating their kindle it would be wise for you to have the facts. 
  A new kindle-the kindle 2 was released about 2 years after the first one.  They also did not release the kindle DX until about 2 years after the first kindle.  Barnes and Noble released a wifi only version of the nook maybe 10 months after the 3g/wifi version.  And the NOOKcolor came about a year after the first nook came along. 
So, Amazon keeps updating theirs, but not as fast as B&N by the logic used.  The Kindle 3 came along maybe a year after the kindle DX.  Amazon also changed their wireless connection in the wake of the nook's release, by dropping Sprint and going with AT&T.  Amazon began book lending in the wake of the nook having that feature.  Amazon will begin library lending (but in a form to again tie people to Amazon and not their local library) in the wake of the nook having this feature.  Amazon will release a tablet ereader sometime in the future, maybe 18 months from now.  A full 2 years after the k3's release and about 3 or 3 1/2 years after the first kindle's release.  Who is following who?
But based on your logic, B&N should have perhaps brought out a new Classic nook (that you feel has no buyers and is soon to be trashed, anyway) as soon as Amazon brought out the k3.  That would have been 9 months after the nook was first released.  Boy, that would have been a crowd pleaser.

 


 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader 2
TOlson
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: This could get scary

UGG, I am so dissapointed with B&N! I really could care less about games, video or junk that distracts from the very reason that I have the NC ... to read and enjoy literature. B&N before you release any more updates make sure they work properly. 1.2.0 crashed my NC to the point of uselessness! Oh yes, they agreed to replace my NC but only after 4 days of frustration and an additional 5 hours dealing with 3 Philippine Tech support peeps, about an hour and half at the store (which they could do nothing but dial the phone for me so I could talk with a customer service rep). If I wanted all the extra junk I would have purchased an I pad or better yet, I'll just use my smart phone!B&N you should let your store locations have a little more say in customer service!

 

Signed one angry bird ....