Contributor
armistej
0 Kudos

Time zone bug in Nook Color (1.1.0) Javascript

My wife was using her Nook Color to visit our church web site which features a calendar.  We discovered that all times for activities were 4 hours late (yet displayed OK on our PC running Windows and IE8).

Being a techie, I did some digging.  The Nook Color is correctly configured for our time zone (US East Coast, with summer time active). The time shown at the bottom right hand side of the Nook's screen shows this correctly.

So, what was wrong ?  It seemed like it must have been something to do with the Nook Color's browser, and it was ...

I found a really good web site which shows plenty of Javascript examples involving the time.

http://www.sivamdesign.com/scripts/clocks.html

When I visit that site, specifically example # 18, I see that my Nook Color is saying it has a GMT offset of 0 hours, yet I know that it should be -4 hours here on the US East Coast.

So, it appears that the Javascipt functions relating to this are somehow broken on my Nook Color.

As a second confirmation, check out the W3Schools web site

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_getTimezoneOffset.asp

And this explains the calendar weirdness that we were seeing.  If we were viewing the site from GMT, then the times would all be 4 hours later over there.

B&N Tech Support - PLEASE make sure this is fixed BEFORE the Android 2.2 update is rolled out !!!!

Other users, please confirm that your Nook Colors are also affected (and let me know if they're not ... which means something else is going wrong ...)

Correspondent
sewread
0 Kudos

Re: Time zone bug in Nook Color (1.1.0) Javascript

Hi, not sure if this is what you are talking about or not, but when acessing my gmail account from my NC the time is off poss 3-4 hours.interesting as I've not seen this discussed. I didn't know what to think as the time is right when I get my email from my computer.
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Thanks for bringing this up, this has been driving me crazy. Facebook and gmail are both several hours off. Hopefully someone will address this, if not, I will call next week.
Contributor
armistej
0 Kudos

To everyone who is having the same problems as I am, I suggest you visit the two web sites that I listed in my original post.

Both of those show whether the Javascript time zone offset is being reported correctly (or as it appears, NOT !!!)

If it's wrong on your Nook Color, PLEASE say so in reply to this thread.  The more replies, the more visible it is to the Nook technical support people, and the better chance we have of making sure it is fixed when the Android 2.2 update is rolled out "real soon now"

Though I am not using Gmail or Facebook via the Nook, I am sure you could right-click on a regular PC and View Source to see if the HTML from those sites uses those particular Javascript functions relating to GMT offsets or not.  I'm guessing the answer is a YES.  They may be buried in JS files that are referenced in <SCRIPT> tags within the top-level page source.

Frequent Contributor
apachedug
0 Kudos

THANK YOU, this was driving me crazy on Saturday--I had a friend's birthday on Saturday, another friend on Sunday.  Saturday night my PC only said "Today is Erin's birthday" but on my NC it only said "Today is Kelly's birthday"  (but they both displayed the correct time) so I thought it was a Facebook bug.   (I sent something to their support, they just responded this morning & said they were aware of no issues)

Contributor
Zzzz
0 Kudos

Mine has this problem as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Correspondent
musicmama2010
0 Kudos

I have the same issue as well - happened on 3 different NCs.  It's really annoying when I'm trying to figure out new emails.

Contributor
armistej
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I'm glad I'm not alone with this problem (but dissappointed it's a problem for us in the first place)

As an update, I did contact NOOK Color Technical Support, but got a "canned" reply (i.e. fill in the blanks with a few keywords) saying it would be passed to the developers "for consideration".  Given that this is JavaScript 1.0 functionality this should be a high priority to get fixed, and I replied to tech support expressing this sentiment.

All I can suggest is that as many of you as possible do the same and open your own support cases with tech support to put some pressure on the NOOK Developers to get this fixed pronto.  The NOOK Color technical support e-mail address is:

nook@barnesandnoble.com

J

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312

A web page that uses Javascriipt to display the correct time zone, may also be using that determination to delilver different content based on that information (eg, an astronomy site may use it to display where the sun is in the sky).  So, it is important that it get fixed.

I will contact B&N support presently.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader 4
BuddhaTN
0 Kudos

Same thing going on here. Couldn't figure out what I had done wrong :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

A web page that uses Javascriipt to display the correct time zone, may also be using that determination to delilver different content based on that information (eg, an astronomy site may use it to display where the sun is in the sky).  So, it is important that it get fixed.

Good point.  I've been ignoring the bug (this was talked discussed in depth when the NC was first released, or shortly thereafter), but I can see how this could affect more than just my gmail account...astronomy, as you say, and tide tables, anything that uses corrected local time, really.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

B&N reply:

We apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing regarding your 
NOOK Color.

When viewing websites on your NOOK Color, you need to use the mobile website for each website you visit, as the device is not set up to view websites the same way you can on a desktop computer.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Sigh ... that's not the issue ...

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

B&N reply:

We apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing regarding your 
NOOK Color.

When viewing websites on your NOOK Color, you need to use the mobile website for each website you visit, as the device is not set up to view websites the same way you can on a desktop computer.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Sigh ... that's not the issue ...

Argh. I'd say try again, using small words and very step-by-step examples. Refer to the mobile version of a specific website, "when viewed on device A, set to the Eastern time zone, the website correctly displays A.1, when viewed on the nook, also set to the Eastern time zone, the website incorrectly displays nook.1 which as you can see is exactly 4 hours off, or the display you would expect to see if the nook was set to GMT."

I'd do it, but my patience has taken a permanent vacation in Tahiti. Blasted thing keeps sending me postcards, too, just to rub it in.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Argh. I'd say try again, using small words and very step-by-step examples. Refer to the mobile version of a specific website, "when viewed on device A, set to the Eastern time zone, the website correctly displays A.1, when viewed on the nook, also set to the Eastern time zone, the website incorrectly displays nook.1 which as you can see is exactly 4 hours off, or the display you would expect to see if the nook was set to GMT."

I'd do it, but my patience has taken a permanent vacation in Tahiti. Blasted thing keeps sending me postcards, too, just to rub it in.

I replied, explaining:

1. It works on the Motorola Droid using Android (that's to eliminate the "mobile website" excuse).

2. That I also do web development, and:

3. The exact Javascript function that is not working.

4. Why it is important (I used the astronomy argument above).

Actually, I don't want the new firmware release to be delayed in any way, whether for this or any other minor bug.  This is the kind of bug that can easily be fixed in a minor bug release, whereas I think we are all waiting for the B&N store.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Email customer service (clearly - example above) is autobot.  A computer scans for keywords and gives you the canned response it thinks fits best.

If you reply to their reply a person will should read and respond.  No person read your first email and if you begin another email you'll get the same response.  If you reply to it, someone might read it.  Just copy/paste your original text.

Contributor
armistej
0 Kudos

Good news everyone.  This problem is solved with the latest Nook Color Software 1.2.0 (i.e. Andriod 2.2) update from Barnes and Noble.