Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
CB2010
0 Kudos

Tired of getting B&N coupons or offers that exclude Nook books!

Now that I have a Nook, I really wish B&N would quit sending coupons that limit my book purchase to hard copies and exclude eBooks. I bought the NookColor so I want some eBooks; I'm not shopping for paperbacks.

The last time I saw an offer for the Nook you ended up getting a gift card which I think a lot of people where having a problem getting once they made a purchase.

Throw us a bone once and awhile. Yes I know you have free Fridays, but I would definitely make a faster purchase if I could use the "buy one, get 2nd 50% off" or X% off a purchase, etc.

Contributor
BELphotos
0 Kudos

Re: Tired of getting B&N coupons or offers that exclude Nook books!

How about a B&N Nook Memebership Card. You get one automatically and for free when you buy a Nook. Standard ebook discount of 10% off everytime you use it; only available on Nook related products.

I will not be renewing my B&N membership this year; what for?

Souzou
0 Kudos

Oh my gosh!  You know, I really hate when B&N sends me emails about industry recognized fiction.  Doesn't it just know that I only read James Patterson?!?

I hope everyone got the sarcasm.

If you don't like the emails, unsubscribe.  Nobody is going to rush out and buy everything being pitched at them in emails. 

Do I wish there were ebook coupons?  Yes.

But the people to blame are the publishers are being slow to adapt to this new medium.

And I may be a nook owner, but I bought several physical books last week as gifts for friends and family.  And you better bet I used my membership and coupons!  Why should the company assume that every nook owner is going to abandon print books?

JohnF76
0 Kudos

B&N does not have a lot of room to move prices on ebooks, but the latest coupon I got today included 30% off of covers, and other stuff. That's the sort of thing that is very helpful, as outfitting your Nook/NC can get expensive.

There's a ton of things that can make your NC/Nook experience even more enjoyable, and I'd love to see a section of the website with links to B&N approved vendors...something that's a win/win for everyone! 

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I recently got a coupon for $25 off a NookColor, hopefully, B&N will listened to it's customers about offering coupons related to purchasing ebooks and Nook accessories.  I have to admit that I was shocked to see a coupon for $25 off!

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Can you post a picture of the coupon?

DJ

Inspired Contributor
jeffkww
0 Kudos

Agreed, They need to start some Coupon program.

The B&N membership card was always a rip off as far as I was concerned,

Couldn't even use it to get a discount on the Nook.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

CB2010 wrote:

Now that I have a Nook, I really wish B&N would quit sending coupons that limit my book purchase to hard copies and exclude eBooks. I bought the NookColor so I want some eBooks; I'm not shopping for paperbacks.

The last time I saw an offer for the Nook you ended up getting a gift card which I think a lot of people where having a problem getting once they made a purchase.

Throw us a bone once and awhile. Yes I know you have free Fridays, but I would definitely make a faster purchase if I could use the "buy one, get 2nd 50% off" or X% off a purchase, etc.

B&N is not allowed to discount the eBooks from the big agency 6 publishers. Those eBooks have fixed prices set by the publisher that B&N is not allowed to discount in any way.

eBooks from other publishers are usually already discounted (often to pricematch Kindle).

If we want B&N to stay in business I do not think we can expect extra discounts on eBooks.

B&N can not afford to use eBooks as loss-leaders the way  Amazon does.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I just got my coupon in the mail too. Doubt I will buy any paper books but I am going to make a trip up to B&N to use the Godiva coupon. Bring on the truffles!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Contributor
eawhitcomb
0 Kudos

My membership expired.  I was in the store the other day buying a book for a gift and the sales person asked if I wanted to renew my membership.  I explained that it was pretty much a waste since I have a Nook and am trying to get my books on it, instead of buying physical books.

The sales person told me that they are working on offering a discount on Nook books with the membership card -- they were all pushing for it.  I don't know if I believe that I'll ever see it, but it sounds somewhat hopeful that the employees of Barnes & Noble are even bringing it up.

Frequent Contributor
HighseasPirate
0 Kudos

I spoke to one of their customer service reps many months ago when I didn't receive my $5 eGift card for buying a nook magazine.  I asked her why ebooks are excluded on coupons or for price reductions.  She told me that the prices are already the lowest price that the publishers will allow the ebook to be sold through B&N.  I never gave it a second thought after that.  I am personally happy with most of the pricing anyway*.

I look at it this way with prices.  Many people that go the movies or eat out get 1-3 hours on average of entertainment for the price they pay.  Translate that into the hours that are spent on the book and its price and you will most likely come out ahead on price/entertainment in the books favor.  You could also reread it many times for an even wider gap in the books favor.

*Examples:

Movies  (2 hrs. long) : 2 people ~ $20 w/o any drinks/food ::: = $5 p/hr. each person for fun

Decent Restaurant (1-2 hours) : 2 people ~ $40-$80 ::: $40 @2 hrs. = $10 p/hr. each person for fun

ebook (420pp) : 1 person ~ $20(fairly high priced book) ::: if you can read a page every minute(7 hrs., I read about 1 page every 3-4 minutes) = $2.86 p/hr. for fun

For me (21hrs.) it would come to $.95 p/hr. for fun

It is all in the perspective!:smileyhappy:

gnkc
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

CB2010 wrote:

B&N is not allowed to discount the eBooks from the big agency 6 publishers. Those eBooks have fixed prices set by the publisher that B&N is not allowed to discount in any way.

eBooks from other publishers are usually already discounted (often to pricematch Kindle).

If we want B&N to stay in business I do not think we can expect extra discounts on eBooks.

And yet when I go to my local grocery store the same books I just looked at an hour before in B$N at $9.99 were $7.99. Yes they are the latest paperbacks, the latest Lee Child and Patterson were just two.

And the grocery store has a decent selection.

Seems like B$N could offer something.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:

geertm wrote:

CB2010 wrote:

And yet when I go to my local grocery store the same books I just looked at an hour before in B$N at $9.99 were $7.99. Yes they are the latest paperbacks, the latest Lee Child and Patterson were just two.

And the grocery store has a decent selection.

Seems like B$N could offer something.

The Lee Child and James Patterson books are sold by agency publishers (you can see this by looking at the product details: the books are sold by the publisher, not B&N).

As I already said in my previous reply: these books have a fixed price set by the publisher. B&N is not allowed to discount these books in any way. Otherwise those publishers will not let B&N sell their books anymore. These books will have the same price anywhere, even the Kindle version.

B&N ( and your grocery store) are still allowed to discount the paperback and hardback versions of books. That is why e-books from the agency 6 publishers are often more expensive than the paperback or hardback versions of the same books.

CB2010
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Ok...I keep hearing this, but (and nothing personal and maybe I'm just ignorant), but this sounds like BS to me. First of all, if true, this sounds like a violation of anti-trust laws. IANAL, but one thing I know is putting a floor on prices to keep sellers from offering further discounts can be illegal when it hurts consumers.

I remember when ALL new books sold for list price. Then Crown Books came along and started offering discounts. There was nothing forcing them to sell at suggested retail. Suddenly Waldenbooks and B.Dalton weren't making money because there was a choice. That lead to BookStop (which B&N bought out) who started the discount card which gave an extra discount and other bookstores. Then Amazon came along and you know the rest.

If some group of publishers has now just said you must sell our books no lower than $X or at discounts greater of X%, then the "suggested retail" is simply bogus and they are creating a floor which doesn't allow competition, which could be seen as unfair to consumers and, if so, should be investigated.

I think, however, publisher will eventually become an endangered group. If you don't know...only the top $$ writers, like the Stephen Kings and James Patterson get real publicity. The average writer has to promote their own books as best they can. That being, I think many will turn to self-publishing where they control the price. Stephen King (and yes, granted, it's Stephen King) wrote a novella for the Kindle:

King said, “I didn’t do ‘Ur’ for money. I did it because it was interesting. I’m fairly prolific. It took three days, and I’ve made about $80,000. You can’t get that for short fiction from Playboy or anybody else. It’s ridiculous.”

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

I think they should give us a coupon each week that allows us to download one ebook for free on Fridays.  They can even select the book if they want.