Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
TaterFink
0 Kudos

To stay rooted or not to stay rooted, That's the dilemma

My husband called BN and asked for their Nook Color Expert.

He asked if there was in fact an update coming and if so, when?  Mr. Expert said “yes” there is an update (I know, we already knew that), it will arrive early next week (again, I know we knew THAT too). He was just setting the stage.

Next, he told Mr. Expert that he had rooted his NC:smileysurprised: and asked if it was necessary to UNroot it before the update arrives.  Mr. Expert says, Yes, you need to unroot or is that de-root? your NC prior to the update because if you do not, the Flash Player will not work properly.

I’m no programmer, I mostly muddle thru.  So, does anyone know if this is correct?  It’s been mentioned that we’re not sure how the update will affect the rooted but, would it actually single out just ONE thing to botch up??

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
Inspired Contributor
Velvet_Llama

Re: To stay rooted or not to stay rooted, That's the dilemma

It's honestly tough to say to be honest. Personally I would hold off on downloading the update until you have a chance to see all of the changes it brings. From what little we know I doubt that there will be any significant improvement in content available over a rooted device running stock Android 2.2-3.0. There may be significant changes to security and OS performance / stability that you would be interested in getting. 

But the main reason I say hold off is because there is a very real chance that the update will introduce changes that make the Nook not play nice with the rooted images that everyone is using. I doubt B&N is going to take steps to deliberately lock down the device because their policy thus far towards rooting seems to have been tacit tolerance of it. I think they like the positive attention they get in the Android communities.

All in all, unless this update adds in groundbreaking functionality that nobody anticipated, you're probably just better off not downloading the update and waiting untill the rooting communities come out with images and ROMs that are compatible with the update.

Hope that helped.

TaterFink
0 Kudos

It helps a lot. Thank you. I really appreciated the quick response.

If I turn on the wifi Sunday so as not to get the update on Monday, at what point would it be safe to turn it back on so I can use my NC with my network?  Will I have to turn the wifi off everytime I put the NC down for all eternity?? That is assuming I decide to NOT update.

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

TaterFink wrote:

It helps a lot. Thank you. I really appreciated the quick response.

If I turn on the wifi Sunday so as not to get the update on Monday, at what point would it be safe to turn it back on so I can use my NC with my network?  Will I have to turn the wifi off everytime I put the NC down for all eternity?? That is assuming I decide to NOT update.

What are you rooted with?  If you are running a program off the sc card, then all you have to do is take the sd card out. 

If you are running autonooter, then you have 3 options.  1.  Take your nook back to factory stock.  2.  Block the automatic update.  3.  Leave the wifi off at all times.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
TaterFink
0 Kudos

Thanks again.    rooted internally with Froyo (2.1?) 

I'll just follow your advice and let the update pass me by at least long enough to see what they offer.  Better to wait and make an educated decision than to toy with it and end up with a mess,

Happy Easter everyone!:smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

TaterFink wrote:

Thanks again.    rooted internally with Froyo (2.1?) 

I'll just follow your advice and let the update pass me by at least long enough to see what they offer.  Better to wait and make an educated decision than to toy with it and end up with a mess,

Happy Easter everyone!:smileyvery-happy:

And a Happy Easter to you!  I think you made a wise choice.  Personally, I am waiting to see what the update has to offer and how quickly the Devs come up with a way to root it.

I can't see ever going back to stock.  I'm 65 and I just hate being told what I can and can't do!!:smileytongue:

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Contributor
Dr_JamesN
0 Kudos

I got my NC from my brother. He had rooted it but when I authorized it, the NC de-rooted. I never could get it to root but some of the old stuff was still on there. I took it back to factory stock this morning (and since I never could root it, to me it didn't matter).

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's what I posted in another thread on the subject:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Another-Rooted-NC-question/m-p/9...

As far as turning WiFI on to use the Nook and then off, I don't think that's a very safe method of preventing the update from happening.  Better to use one of the methods available for disabling updating.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

If you are running autonooter, then you have 3 options.  1.  Take your nook back to factory stock.  2.  Block the automatic update.  3.  Leave the wifi off at all times.

If anyone needs step-by-step instructions on (2), let me know and I will provide them.  Unlike some of the linked commentaries where they say you have to buy $8 worth of apps, you can actually get by with one <$3 app, and it's very easy to do.  It also doesn't need to be revised every time a new update comes out.

- Mark

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

@ Mark.......it's 0350 EDT.......don't you ever sleep???:smileyhappy:

It's a semi-true story!
morgman
0 Kudos

I agree with Velvet Llama.   Find the link in the boards to tell your nook NOT to update.  Then enjoy your Nook Color Tablet. Let the update come out, give a chance for the dust to settle, then wait for the autonooter for the new release.  Once that's stable then factory reset your nook, apply the new update, and then root.  

This is was I did this with my Nook, all my coworkers nooks, with the last update.  Looking forward to this release, but without an open market, I'll wait for the auto-nooter.   

Really can't blame BN for not opening the market.  Too many apps that aren't tablet friendly that would result in a bad experience for the non-technical user that expects everything to work.  I think they've walked the line pretty well of providing a stable product for the mainstream consumer while allowing us rooters to peacefully coexist and support each other once we've stepped off the reservation. 

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

dparrothead1 wrote:

If anyone needs step-by-step instructions on (2), let me know and I will provide them.  Unlike some of the linked commentaries where they say you have to buy $8 worth of apps, you can actually get by with one <$3 app, and it's very easy to do.  It also doesn't need to be revised every time a new update comes out.

- Mark

Mark, I very much need your directions.  My email is rcbrown@live.com or email me here.

Mark_OB1

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 wrote:

Mark, I very much need your directions. 

Richard, I'm more than happy to post them here.  I just didn't want to go to the trouble if it was already well-known to everyone. While it's very easy to do, instructions need to be very complete so people don't go off on a tangent.  So it's a bit of typing.

~~

So if you've autonootered, and want to avoid having an auto-update create problems, and don't want to worry about keeping your WiFi off, here's how you can easily disable that function. 

This is a one-time thing, and doesn't require revising it as new updates come out, as some other methods do (e.g., pushing modified build.props files down).  Those are completely free, but a fair bit more complicated, and have to be redone every time a new update is released by B&N.

1)  Go to Extras, open the Android Market, tap on the magnifying glass, and search for SQLite Editor.  It will cost you <$3. 

You don't need the companion product, Root Explorer, at all, that others have mentioned, so you can save some $$$ if you want (4 bucks, I think).  It's actually quicker not to even use Root Explorer.

2)  Buy and install SQLite.  If you're running auto-nootered, you'll need to shut your Nook off and restart it afterwards.  That's because the Extras screen info is cached, and not updated dynamically, so you'll never see any newly loaded Apps until you reboot.

3)  After powering back up, go to Extras and click on SQLite.  It will scan your entire Nook and find every SQL database file there.  Even the hidden ones.  It only takes ~10 seconds.

4)  Scroll down to DeviceManagerService, and tap on it.  Then tap on devicemanager.db.

5)  Tap on the "registry" entry.  It's easier now if you rotate to landscape, so you can see more of the fields in each entry.

6)  All the entries in this table start with "com.bn.device....".  Look for the one that's labeled '...fota.mode" at the end. 

7)  In the far right Value column, you'll see "Auto".  Tap on that to select it.  Then go down to the Status Bar at the bottom, and tap the Menu button (3 horizontal lines), and pick Edit Field.

8)  You'll then see a black screen with one entry, the field editing form.  You should see the field name of "value" there, and its contents will be "auto".  If it turned out that your selection picked some other field (they are pretty small!), don't panic!  :smileywink:  Just go back and retry until you get the right one.

9)  Tap on "auto" and the keyboard will come up.  Backspace to delete the current contents, and enter "manual" in its place.  Then tap Done.  Then tap Save.  Until you tap Save, you've changed nothing, so poking aout is fairly safe.  You may see a message about granting super-user permissions, which is normal.

10)  You can now exit out of SQLite if you like (it's not necessary), but you're not quite done yet, so don't enable WiFi immediately.  To make sure that the system is using the settings you just modified, you need to force it to reload and "see" them.  So just power you Nook off and back on.  After it reboots, it will use your new settings from then on.  That's it.

Walla!  You're all set.  Auto-updates will no longer be pushed down to your Nook.  However, updates you manually sideload wll still work.  If you decide at some point you'd like auto-updating to work again, just go back in and re-enable it by changing "manual" to "auto".

~~

While the length and detail of the instructions above may make this look like it's more complicated than it really is, I'd rather err of the side of accuracy than leave something "obvious" out.  It really doesn't take more than 2 minutes to do, and most could probably figure it out on their own, if they really needed to.  The one thing they might overlook is the need to reboot afterwards, which isn't necessarily obvious.

- Mark

Inspired Correspondent
UndeadPoet
0 Kudos

So to be completely redundant (sorry), is it the considered opinion of the experts on these boards that if one autonootered 1.1.0 and even though one still has the B&N stuff coexisting with the Android extras (which become available with autonooter), if one doesn't go back to factory stock, the proposed B&N update will not update or work properly (probably)?  Many thanks!

(Undead)Poet / Wizard / Teller-of-tales
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

OTOH, I guess I could have just said:

use SQLite to change "auto" to "manual" in the fota.mode record, in the Registry table in DeviceManagerServices.  Reboot afterwards.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

@ Mark.......it's 0350 EDT.......don't you ever sleep???:smileyhappy:

Yes!  I take micro-naps between keystrokes.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

UndeadPoet asked:

> So to be completely redundant (sorry), is it the considered opinion of the experts on these boards that if one autonootered 1.1.0 and even though one still has the B&N stuff coexisting with the Android extras (which become available with autonooter), if one doesn't go back to factory stock, the proposed B&N update will not update or work properly (probably)?  Many thanks! <

yes.

Inspired Correspondent
UndeadPoet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK, thanks. If that is the case, I guess my friend needs to find out (for sure) how to save her extras and apps which she has since downloaded.  Suggestions? Is that doable?

Inspired Correspondent
UndeadPoet
0 Kudos

Mark, I followed your excellent SQLite "auto to manual fota.mode" instructions, and I think my friend is all set. I guess she will wait to see what happens (if anything) on Monday the 25th, and then decide whether to wait for the next autonooter, or go back to factory and rejoin the fold.  Many thanks again!

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Mark, I found your instructions quite clear and easy to follow.  I just did it in about 3 or 4 minutes with your method.  Now I suppose the only question is......Is this just theory that it will block the update....or just how sure are we?