Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
GoodIntentions
0 Kudos

Took my NC outside

Beautiful day, took my NC outside, and couldn't read.  Brought it back inside and put the light to the far brightest, then I could see it better.  However, as soon as I put on my sunglasses, it was unreadable once again.  I knew I kept my original Nook for a reason.  So I guess one is for inside and one for outside.  Just wish I could like up the old one so I can read the current book (wouldn't show up on my original).

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: Took my NC outside

[ Edited ]

GoodIntentions wrote:

Beautiful day, took my NC outside, and couldn't read.  Brought it back inside and put the light to the far brightest, then I could see it better.  However, as soon as I put on my sunglasses, it was unreadable once again.  I knew I kept my original Nook for a reason.  So I guess one is for inside and one for outside.  Just wish I could like up the old one so I can read the current book (wouldn't show up on my original).

Many threads are already here on the subject of sunglasses and the nook color. You can't read the nook color screen with polarized sunglasses. The polarization layer on the NC is 90-degrees out of phase with the polarization of your sunglasses. If you turn the nook sideways, you can see the screen. The problem is that you can't view a regular ebook in landscape mode.

EDIT -- courtesy of CaptainGuy, who wants attribution even though most of us know about this. (I have an older GPS with a polarized layer.)

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
dparrothead1

Also, when I am outside, I swith to the night time mode.  The white letters on the dark background seem to show up better.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Deser brat...

youe explanation is 100% what I wrote months ago... please attrib.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139

[ Edited ]

CaptainGuy wrote:

Deser brat...

Who cares....

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

Also, when I am outside, I swith to the night time mode.  The white letters on the dark background seem to show up better.

I find that the above, along with my anti-glare screen protector and increasing the brightness to 100% makes it readable in most outside conditions.

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia, do you have a link to the anti-glare screen protector you're happy with?

Also, I second the suggestion of turning the brightness all the way up when outdoors. (I usually have it all the way down when indoors.)

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I use the one sold by B&N.  Without it, I couldn't read the screen outside at all.

The screen will never be as easy to read outside as the NOOK, but I was able to use mine at the beach in FL last month.  Using Night Mode along with the screen protector seemed to be the key to making it work.  I was able to read epubs, but I couldn't get the brightness high enough to easily read my magazines or other documents that couldn't be put in Night Mode.

And it worked with my polarized prescription sunglasses (but the polarization on them is most likely different than the polarization on non-prescription sunglasses, so I can't say that it would work for anyone else).

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

Great tip. I will try that tomorrow. All of my sunglasses are polarized for boating.

Distinguished Correspondent
Ohbjuan
0 Kudos

Before I purchased my Nookcolor I made the sales person take it outside so I could see how it would be. I found if I turned the brightness all the way up I could read it just fine (salesperson had no clue on how to do that ...). No, not as good as a Kindle in the sun, but very readable. I too have my brightness turned all the way down while inside. Now to be fair I haven't actually sat at the pool yet and read, but I don't see why it would be any different than when I went outside with the sales person.  Of course like I have stated before I read most of the time at night while in bed, and won't really use it that much outside, that is why I went with the Nookcolor.

Inspired Correspondent
leday

CaptainGuy wrote:

Deser brat...

Oh for gosh sakes, this is not copyrighted material.  No attrib is necessary....

The road goes ever on.....
Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

I kind of figured this would happen because of the screen, which is why I kept my Nook 3G. Only the anti glare screen can be read out doors, which is a big plus with the Gen 1 models. I still love them both, only for different reasons.

Contributor
Kel-i

I read my Nook Color out on the beach in Mexico with sunglasses on with no problems at all.  I do have the screen protector on that I purchased at B&N.  I am looking forward to taking my NC out on the boat this summer.

Contributor
GoodIntentions
0 Kudos

My sun glasses are polarized and never thought about it causing an issue.  I keep the brightness turned all the way down during the day, All the way up for outside.  I have the glare screen protector and was able to read without the glasses, but I'll try the white on black background (and my old sun glasses) and see how that does. 

My Nook Color was a gift from my sons, but think I will still go with the idea of using my Nook Color inside and keep the Nook for the beach.  Just need to figure out how to link up the Nook with Nook Color so I can pick up where I leave off since I don't really use the Nook much any more. 

Thanks for the tip on white letters/black background.