Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Touchscreen somtimes has unresponsive spots

Does anyone else have issues with the touchscreen, so that you'll press a button and it won't respond....so you press it again and again and finally it responds?  Any idea what's going on here?

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Touchscreen somtimes has unresponsive spots

Have the same issue sometimes with all the touch devices I have. I find a reboot helps.

:smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: Touchscreen sometimes has unresponsive spots

I find that it also helps to clean the screen. I wait until it's in standby and clean it with the microfiber cloths that I use for my glasses.

Inspired Contributor
Gottaluvit
0 Kudos

Yes, I do . It is a known problem with the NC . I would say call CS and keep trying them until you get someone that knows a few things about the NC and they can help you with that problem or it might need to be replaced .. again this is a known problem and the first things they are going to tell you are what you have read here .. but a factory reset they say will help it or fix it if it is a major problem . If not then again go for a replacement and right now all NC replacements are new ones , which could change at anytime . Hope that helps :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
LarryinGa
0 Kudos

Had same problem - Suspected non glare screen protector - removed protector and eureka!. Works perfectly now with standard screen protecter. I suspect the texture of the non glare might retain non conductive oils from fingers (skin oil, make Up! etc.)
Life is wonderful!
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

I suspect those of you who say to clean it, and that it retains oil from the skin, are right, because it does seem if I clean the screen and then let the moisture dry, it starts working again.

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

Besides being bloated and slow the Android OS has a number of aggravating flaws, which this is one.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

>>Besides being bloated and slow the Android OS has a number of aggravating flaws, which this is one.<<

Actually, I've since discovered that in my case, the flaw was not in the Nook or in the Android operating system.....it was in an app I'd installed after rooting it.  The SOFT KEYS app, that allows you to have a "back" on-screen key as well as a home key....I discovered that if it was over some text on the screen, it caused my screen to be unresponsive.  Once I uninstalled Soft Keys, I've had zero response issues.  (By the way, I've also discovered that you don't need a "back" button.  Just swipe your finger to the left at the very bottom of the screen and it takes you back).

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

In addition to the cleaning issue, I have also found that the less pressure I use, the more responsive the screen is to my touch.

I also use the sides of my fingers to help lighten my touch and it tends to respond well.  I find no issue with response time in the system unless we are talking about my wifi speeds sometimes. That is NOT my Nook's fault though.

Good luck!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

There is a difference between the NC failing to respond to screen touches due to system bogged down verses spots on the screen that don't respond to touch.

I can't say I have found any spots on the screen that do not respond to touch, I have a screen protector.

I have had numerous times especially when browsing the web when the system is bogged down and not responding to touch.  Fortunately it doesn't happen frequently, so I have no complaint.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

yocalif wrote:

There is a difference between the NC failing to respond to screen touches due to system bogged down verses spots on the screen that don't respond to touch.

I can't say I have found any spots on the screen that do not respond to touch, I have a screen protector.

I have had numerous times especially when browsing the web when the system is bogged down and not responding to touch.  Fortunately it doesn't happen frequently, so I have no complaint.

Good point.

It does help to wait for the page to load B4 trying to hit a link.

One of the reasons I would like a better browser. (There is a browser that loads faster, Right?)

Frequent Contributor
ewelsch
0 Kudos

Richarwrite25: Regarding a back button.  I have been frustrated many times not having this option.  I tried swiping at the very bottom of the screen but found it only worked once and could not get it to do it again.  I'm assuming you mean that regardless of where you go in the menu, you can return to a previous page, just as you can on a regular computer.  Is this correct?  

Thanks!

Ellen

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Ellen, that's correct.....it operates as a true back arrow.  Make sure you're swiping on the LEFT hand side of the screen at the bottom, toward the left.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

To go back, put your finger just to the left of the wifi signal//batt/time, slide yoir finger to the left. It takes a little practice to not have the menu pop up or open current book. Once you get the hang of it, its a handy feature.
Reader
jdguay
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
ewelsch
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
ewelsch