Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mntom
0 Kudos

Transferring purchased books in Nook library to new Nook Color

I have two purchased books in my Nook library and they won't transfer/sync to my new Nook Color.  I purchased a book from my Nook Color and it came in just fine.  The books in my Nook library have the "download" button to press, but when I press it I get an error message saying it doesn't recognize the file extension.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: Transferring purchased books in Nook library to new Nook Color

mntom wrote:

I have two purchased books in my Nook library and they won't transfer/sync to my new Nook Color.  I purchased a book from my Nook Color and it came in just fine.  The books in my Nook library have the "download" button to press, but when I press it I get an error message saying it doesn't recognize the file extension.

I assume you are trying to do this all from the NOOKcolor-the books show up for download on the NC, but when you hit the button, they won't download?

The best way to find out what is happening is to try downloading the books to your computer and then seeing what the file extensions are.  Many of them seem to be including a problem extension that is .epub.v4 for some reason.

The next thing you can do until this is fixed (it's a book problem probably due to some publishing error) is to use the nook for pc app to download the book which will create a file called yourbooktitlehere_ISBNnumber.epub which can then be sideloaded onto your NC.  For example, I have a book called 7th Victim which shows up as    7thvictim_9780786726356.epub.

You will want to do this for any books that have the v4 extension in them.  Since the NC will not download the books as they are now, there's really no other way I know of to get them onto your NC. 

The other issue could be that the books are in .pdb format which is not readable by the NC.  It is possible that using the nook for PC app will get them downloaded in .epub format which again you will sideload to the NC-myfiles area. 

You may also want to let BN know that these are problem books so they can fix them.  You will also want to go onto your PC and archive them after you have gotten working copies onto your NC so that it doesn't keep telling you to download them.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
mntom
0 Kudos

Re: Transferring purchased books in Nook library to new Nook Color

Thank you very much for the detailed and thoughtful answer!