Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Two caveats about the 1.4 update

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Nook Color, but I do want to caution people about getting their hopes up to much.  I have two concerns specifically:

1) As others have noted, B&N does not have a stellar track record for getting updates out in a timely manner. My biggest worry is that their promise to have the update "in December" might well turn out to be January or February.  So I'm going to try to forget about the update and ust enjoy watching the Nook App Store continue to grow (which it's doing pretty well now).

2) Do NOT....I repeat, do NOT expect Hulu Plus to be available as soon as the Tablet is released or as soon as 1.4 update is released. Read the press release carefully:  It says that Hulu Plus will become available "in the coming months."  Talk about your vague time frames! 

Distinguished Correspondent
MadScntst

Re: Two caveats about the 1.4 update

But Netflix is available right away! and really come on, Netflix is way better than Hulu Plus. commericals? not for me sucka!

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

MadScntst wrote:

But Netflix is available right away! and really come on, Netflix is way better than Hulu Plus. commericals? not for me sucka!

Is Netflix ever available for the NC? I thought it was NTab exclusive.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Netflix for the NC will be available - the leaked info on Friday made it look as if it would not, but it will be.  This is cool, as I know Netflix was high on the "want" list for lots of folks. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
MDD73
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to the 1.4 update with the announcement of "Nook Comics."  I just noticed that my week-old NookColor is only running 1.2.  Can anyone tell me if I need to update to 1.3 before 1.4?  Or will I just be able to jump right to 1.4?

Inspired Contributor
trishamil
0 Kudos

For sure Netflix will be available, if you look at B&N website under the NC features, it states that Netflix will soon be available!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I'm surprised you got a new NC running 1.2, but it will probably pull in the update to 1.3 on its own before 1.4 is released.  and it it doesn't, don't worry - the updates in the past have always been able to install themselves on any stock configured NC.  (If the NC is rooted, more work is required, essentially you need to reset back to stock.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Netflix will be available on the nook Color, and it comes preloaded I believe on the nook tablet.
MDD73
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

I'm surprised you got a new NC running 1.2, but it will probably pull in the update to 1.3 on its own before 1.4 is released.  and it it doesn't, don't worry - the updates in the past have always been able to install themselves on any stock configured NC.  (If the NC is rooted, more work is required, essentially you need to reset back to stock.) 

Thanks for the reply.  Since I don't have a regular WiFi connection (I just go to B&N, Starbucks or McDonald's when I want to download something new), it probably won't do it on its own.  May be I'll try to manually update to 1.3 before 1.4 comes out as a test run for manual updating. 

morgman
0 Kudos

You will not need to upgrade to 1.3 before 1.4. All of the updates have been complete.  For instance if you reset a 1.0 Nook to factory default before apply 1.4, you can apply 1.4 directly without applying all previous updates. 

Wild_images
0 Kudos

My big concern with the 1.4 update is that with the new Tablet being able to use 3rd party apps, they discover that it is a glitch with the 1.4 software, and decide to close that loop hole off for the NC, pushing the update to something like 1.4.1 and delaying it until God knows when.

That's my concern - and I don't know squat about electronics or software hacking or anything like that.   But after all this time, I just don't see B&N being happy about people being able to access other app stores and doing what they can to make it as difficult as they can for the average user.  

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>>That's my concern - and I don't know squat about electronics or software hacking or anything like that. But after all this time, I just don't see B&N being happy about people being able to access other app stores and doing what they can to make it as difficult as they can for the average user.<<

But , why haven't they done something to inhibit the prevalence of rooting? 

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61

It is wise to manually update. After placing the update file on your NC, just let the unit go into sleep mode by itself. It seems to ignore updates if you manually force it into sleep mode by pressing the on/of button.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

Wild_images wrote:

My big concern with the 1.4 update is that with the new Tablet being able to use 3rd party apps, they discover that it is a glitch with the 1.4 software, and decide to close that loop hole off for the NC, pushing the update to something like 1.4.1 and delaying it until God knows when.

That's my concern - and I don't know squat about electronics or software hacking or anything like that.   But after all this time, I just don't see B&N being happy about people being able to access other app stores and doing what they can to make it as difficult as they can for the average user.

First of all, I'm not sure why they care. The results are good enough to keep the modders happy but poor enough that everyone else won't bother. They don't really lose anything, but they get good press and people are happy.

However, companies, in general, are well-known for actively working against their own self-interest. There may be a project manager that really wants to forge B&N in the image of Apple and mirrors their decisions. There may be contracts they signed with developers agreeing to be anti-customer. Perhaps B&N simply doesn't want to field bug reports for hidden features.

That, and they are taking a clear beating in the press for the Fire being more capable in this regard. The modder community may be very small, but they are extremely vocal.

Wild_images
0 Kudos

They care because they have a lot of money and time invested in their own app store, which, is lame, to be nice.   1329 apps is not "Thousands of Must Have Apps".    If they are indeed going in that directions, to have "thousands",  then it makes no sense to have the NC opened up to the other app stores out there.

Yeah, you can root, but I have to wonder what the percentage of people who have purchased NC's have rooted them, and, how many know they can?  On the other hand, those same peple may never find out that the 1.4 update allows access to the other app stores, and might not care either.  But my guess is that B&N cares.  

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

At the NT announcement event the BN CEO was very clear that he didn't want their devices to be open to any app market but BN.  He wanted "high quality" apps that they could charge for and make money from for the tablets. 

So, if BN can close the rooting and other loopholes in a non-trivial manner (one that doesn't cost them a lot of time and $) then they will probably do so.  However, such an effort may not pass the cost/benefit analysis since it would a) take developer time and effort to do, b) may result in lost sales of the tablet, c) cause more bad publicity with the only real benefit being the potential ability to sell more apps (when available) from their own store.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

>>Yeah, you can root, but I have to wonder what the percentage of people who have purchased NC's have rooted them, and, how many know they can? <<

I suspect the percentage is small.  I only know because, when I buy a new device, I haunt the pertinent forums so that I can learn all there is to know about them.  I don't think most people do that.  They settle in with their device and use it for the purpose for which they bought it--in the case of the NC, as a reader and maybe to poke about on the web.  I'd never have know there was such a concept as rooting or dual booting if I hadn't come here. 

Frequent Contributor
spud357c
0 Kudos

I'll throw another concern onto the table and that is whether the 1.4 update will mess with the formatting of the memory and reduce the space available for sideloading down to the 1 g that new units have.

Correspondent
Perry_Mason

spud, that is a formatting issue and the software update won't affect that. 

Wild_images
0 Kudos

I don't think closing the loop hole that allows people to root is a priority. 

But I do think that if the software somehow lets people access the Amazon App Store, they will try to close that off.  

Which is why I wonder, if it is a software issue, if they will even release 1.4 for the NC, and instead, work to close down Amazon App Store access with a update to the update for the Tablet, and instead of giving the NC a 1.4 update, give them a 1.4.1 or something update.

That could push the NC update back.