Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Wyldhare
0 Kudos

USB Bug after 1.3 Update

I just did my update to 1.3,then  tried to connect my Nook to my PC to edit some files. My PC could no longer see the Nook. I tried a full power down of the Nook and then a restart, still wouldn't work. I tried taking out my SD card, still same problem. And yes, I had the USB end plugged in first, then plugged into the Nook, and my Nook was on, past the N slider.

I was finally able to correct the problem by rebooting my PC, removing the SD card and then rebooting the Nook, they hooking up the USB cable once everything was powered back up.

I have seen similar threads mentioning similar problems and just wanted to post the resolution I found.

Best,

Jane

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: USB Bug after 1.3 Update

If others are having a similar problem, please indicate which OS you are using.  My Linux and Mac computers are both OK after the update.

Contributor
Wyldhare
0 Kudos

Windows 7
Contributor
ArcadeToken
0 Kudos

I was able to connect to my Windows XP machine without any problems after the update.

Do you usually connect the USB cable to the PC first, then the Nook?  I always do the opposite.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

ArcadeToken wrote:

I was able to connect to my Windows XP machine without any problems after the update.

Do you usually connect the USB cable to the PC first, then the Nook?  I always do the opposite.

You are correct...attach to NC then PC.  It may not matter, but this is somewhat safer.  Given that as you attach or plug in a cable there is the possibility of an arc, having the arc occur at the PC is better than the NC if for no other reason than if damage occurs, NC only has one port, and your PC has mutliple ones.  The same is true for plugging in your laptop or pc, attach the cord to the device then plug it in.  in fact, almost every time i plug in my laptop i see an arc.  better at that end than the other.

Jeremy

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Just mentioning that Windows Vista 64 Home is recognizing my NC on v1.3, just to help out anyone narrowing this down.

Frequent Contributor
joestravels
0 Kudos

I have experienced this with my laptop but not my desktop. I was led to believe it is a power issue in the usb port and if its connected to a powered USB hub it will work. I noticed my laptop will somtimes see my nook if I use the rear USB port. At least have better luck.
Frequent Contributor
joestravels
0 Kudos

By the way this is with the 1.2 software I had hoped it would be fixed with 1.3 but I guess not.
Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Just downloaded & installed 1.3 - the USB works fine -

Running XP/Pro SP3 as Limited User

Frequent Contributor
jbean00
0 Kudos

Something similar happened to me yesterday, as far as my computer recognizing my NC, and my NC recognizing I had an SD card in.  I'm still running on 1.1 with autonooter 3.0, and was not intentionally trying to do any updating.  Have Windows 7 on my PC. The NC was making dinging sounds I'd never heard before.  And different windows were flashing on and off on the computer screen.  I thought for a while it was demon-possessed!

All this started when I connected the NC to the PC to sideload an ebook.  Even the Adobe Digital Edition software went crazy and wouldn't open on my PC!  After going through all sorts of rebooting and sd card removing, etc. it finally settled back down to normal.  I guess I didn't even think about it maybe being a problem with the 1.3 update....

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

I didn't have any problems. Windows XPP. I connected it right back to my PC after the update finished to clean off some PDF's and things and didn't have any problems.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Windows 7 computer, installed update 1.3 yesterday on NC stock and CM7 on sd card,(left the card in,I forgot:smileysurprised:) No problems. Used the usb cord this morning to sideload some books, no problems.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

jbean00 wrote:

Something similar happened to me yesterday, as far as my computer recognizing my NC, and my NC recognizing I had an SD card in.  I'm still running on 1.1 with autonooter 3.0, and was not intentionally trying to do any updating.  Have Windows 7 on my PC. The NC was making dinging sounds I'd never heard before.  And different windows were flashing on and off on the computer screen.  I thought for a while it was demon-possessed!

All this started when I connected the NC to the PC to sideload an ebook.  Even the Adobe Digital Edition software went crazy and wouldn't open on my PC!  After going through all sorts of rebooting and sd card removing, etc. it finally settled back down to normal.  I guess I didn't even think about it maybe being a problem with the 1.3 update....

Unless you were sideloading the update then your problem was not the update - I don't think they released it OTA yet.

Frequent Contributor
jbean00
0 Kudos

OK, just a weird coincidence then. 

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

No problems here. Windows 7 64-Bit.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I have intermittent problems with my PC (Windows Vista Home) acknowledging my NookColor via USB (not related to 1.3 update). It can recognize it 3-4 times in a row then suddenly not find it at all. No rhyme or reason - I think it is just something funky with the Windows USB drivers.

Rebooting both my NC and PC always seems to work. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
New User
Trolsk
0 Kudos

I keep having the same issue with my Mac at home and my WindowsXP at work. I am starting to think it is the stupid Nook only USB. I have already replaced the cable once and am thinking I am going to have to do it again. This is such a frustrating issue. Why oh why did B&N have to go with some super secrect tech instead of a UNIVERSAL USB, isn't that was the U stands for in the first place???!!!!

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

As has been mentioned, a normal micro usb cable will work fine for data transfer. You only need the bn cable for charging... my off the shelf micro usb cable works great.